Show your wedding timelines! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 27th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Show your wedding timelines!

So, for giggles, let's play a game! Just take a recent timeline/edit for a wedding/event and show it off! Would like to see what the average wedding timeline looked like.

Here's one of my recent edits. It got a bit messy having to deal with footage from 3 different cameras in the same edit.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your wedding timelines!-premiere-timeline.jpg  
Old October 27th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Show your wedding timelines!

Your timeline looks manageable.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your wedding timelines!-capture.jpg  
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Jeff that appears to be much more cluttered than it needs to be.

I see that you've called the file Multicam but you don't appear to be using Vegas's multicam editing mode. It would be a doddle for your 4-cam ceremony and even easier for the rest of the day. You could avoid that forest of markers which I guess you're using to highlight cuts.

And once you've synced the audio you could simply delete the unused audio tracks.

Do you name the file sequentially as you progress with your edits?

Another workflow difference between us is that I split the day into typically six parts and do a separate project for each part. I then use Vegas's nesting facility to bring them all together. You seem to have just one project at a whopping 2 hours 20 mins+ That would scare me.

My screens still look complicated but nothing like yours!

Sometimes I show clients a Vegas screen shot mid-edit during consultations. It can help to emphasise that there is a lot more to producing a good wedding video than they might otherwise believe.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

hi Peter. I do use ultimate s multicam and it works very well. I am NOT a fan of the Vegas multicam feature

the markers you see are inserted by ultimate s and removed automatically when I click the proper button, when I'm done with the MultiCam portion of the video.

it's not nearly as complicated as it appears to be just a lot of audio that does make it look hairy. sorry for the misspellings I'm on my phone.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 28th, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Ah thats interesting. I'm not familiar with Ultimate S Multicam. Could you elaborate on why you prefer it to Vegas Multicam? What version of Vegas are you using?

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Peter, Ultimate S multicamera feature does not touch the audio, it does not select the audio of the selected camera. I am able to adjust audio as I go along and choose audio sources independently from the video.

That Vegas multicamera chooses the audio from whichever camera I select is not something I need nor want.

Also, more importantly, Ultimate S allows me to add color correction to entire clips as I multicam, and does not chop up the video until I hit the finished button. I apply color correction as needed and it stays that way. I might need a color FX or WB on the first half of an hour long clip, and none on the second half, or whatever, and it stays that way after I click the "process" button.

I do not bother to divide into little chunks of jobs any more, it's a time waster for me. The getting ready portion and photo sessions, etc I might leave off the main timeline, but the entire ceremony and reception all goes on the timeline at once and I multicam it all, then I start at the end and work backwards. I drop in the getting ready footage later and edit it on the main timeline. I used to divide it up years ago but my computer is powerful enough now no need.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your wedding timelines!-multicam.jpg   Show your wedding timelines!-comp.jpg  

Old October 28th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Here's a pretty typical one. My longest main feature ran around 2 hours 45 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your wedding timelines!-typicaltimeline.png  
Bernie Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Cripes Guys!!

How do you manage a 2 hour timeline ... My weddings are broken into bridal events and never longer than 20 minutes ....I'd hate to have to attack a timeline like that. You could probably make a cup of coffee while the project loads!!

I do clip by clip and create say the girls prep on the timeline, probably around 5 minutes of footage ...it is quick to edit and manageable and I can render it in about 2 minutes flat and then it's done!! Then onto the next section ..if I did have an issue with say, a corrupt clip or suchlike, it's quick and easy to isolate and fix .... what do you do if the 2 hour project decides to crash two thirds into the render ..how do you find out what the error was?? plus you have to wait ages to find out if the render was OK too. That's too much like hard work for me!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Cripes Guys!!

How do you manage a 2 hour timeline ... My weddings are broken into bridal events and never longer than 20 minutes ....I'd hate to have to attack a timeline like that. You could probably make a cup of coffee while the project loads!!

I do clip by clip and create say the girls prep on the timeline, probably around 5 minutes of footage ...it is quick to edit and manageable and I can render it in about 2 minutes flat and then it's done!! Then onto the next section ..if I did have an issue with say, a corrupt clip or suchlike, it's quick and easy to isolate and fix .... what do you do if the 2 hour project decides to crash two thirds into the render ..how do you find out what the error was?? plus you have to wait ages to find out if the render was OK too. That's too much like hard work for me!!

Chris
Ha! Yeah, 100% agree.

Any project longer than 10 minutes gets broken down into 5-8min sequences. Keeps things nice and neat.
Rendering a colour graded, sharpened (via adjustment layer) 9 minute video in full HD with VBR2 averaging 20mbs already takes me around 1 half hours. A 2 hour video...that's something else... haha

Jeff,
your timeline looks far more complicated than it needs to be! must be the forest of markers.
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Inner Circle

How do I manage a two hour timeline? Pretty much the same way I handle a four hour timeline, one click at a time. Ceremonies are frequently an hour long, and I give them the whole thing, not to mention the reception. In the end it gets whittled down to 1 or 2 hours.

Vegas may freeze on me during editing on occasion, but renders are never an issue and Vegas never crashes during renders. When editing is completely done, I can render both Bluray, mp4 and DVD versions in a few hours. If I'm really on top of things, I can render, prepare Bluray menu, burn, duplicate and print discs in about 6 hours, and get them in the mail. Normally I give about 10 discs total plus the USB stick.

It is a daunting task if I look at the whole thing, but I just tackle it one step at a time.
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I use Premiere Pro & break it down with each chapter to a sequence. (Bridal prep, Ceremony, Drinks reception, Speeches etc) I much prefer to attack it a piece at a time & I would be worried about accidentally screwing up another part of the timeline if I was editing it in one humungous sequence.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I use Premiere Pro and I have a sequence for each chapter and then when I'm happy with the chapters I combine them on one timeline for export.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your wedding timelines!-timeline.jpg  
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #13
New Boot

Vietnamese Wedding
Attached Thumbnails
Show your wedding timelines!-1375280_391646320962768_544146698_n.jpg  
Dinh Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #14
Major Player

I usually cut up mine to smaller manageable pieces too

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1383831059

dont know why the attachment doesnt show as a thumbnail!
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #15
Wrangler

This is an interesting topic so I figured I'd bump this post up.

A recent Wedding Highlight timeline and it's corresponding actual edit:
Attached Thumbnails
Show your wedding timelines!-screen-01.jpg   Show your wedding timelines!-screen-02.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques