DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Pluraleyes or WooWave for syncing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/519712-pluraleyes-woowave-syncing.html)

Harry Lender October 30th, 2013 05:29 PM

Pluraleyes or WooWave for syncing?

I just shot a wedding with three camera’s. One camera was AVCHD .MTS files. I also recorded the audio with a separate small Olympus DS-30 recorder.
I have Adobe Premiere CS6 for editing. I am wanting to do a multicam edit. I just learned that there are two software that will make syncing the audio very easy and fast. One is “Pluraleyes” by RedGiant and the other is WooWave.
Has anyone had experience with either of these two software and how good are they? Pluraleyes is very expensive $199. Is there a cheaper way to purchase it? WooWave, I believe, is $49.00.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Harry

Clive McLaughlin October 30th, 2013 05:39 PM

Re: Pluraleyes or WooWave for syncing?

I have used both and I'd say with poor quality audio, woowave can struggle. But its still good for the price. When my trial period ended. It comes up saying go to website to purchase... But if i exited out of it, or something (cant quite remember) but somehow I was able to continue using it as normal.

Pluraleyes is very fast though and reliable. (There are of course ways of not paying for things - but let's not get into that on here.)

Daniel Latimer October 31st, 2013 06:01 AM

I have not used WooWave, but I do use Pluraleyes and I'm a big fan. I have FCP X, which has the same feature built in, but Plural Eyes is able to sync some audio that FCP can't. It was worth the cost for me.

Daniel Latimer October 31st, 2013 06:07 AM

Also, if you were in the market for a microphone there is a deal to get plural eyes for free with a rode microphone.

RDE Microphones - RDE/REDGIANT PluralEyes 3 Offer

Nigel Barker October 31st, 2013 09:12 AM

Premiere Pro CC like FCP X has audio synch built in however I still use Pluraleyes V2 as V3 doesn't work properly with Canon XF files. I did try WooWave when it was first out because of the problem that I had with Pluraleyes V3 but it was absolutely useless just didn't work at all. I am prepared to believe that the author has done some essential work if he is now selling it for $49.95.

Chris Talawe October 31st, 2013 10:00 AM

We've been using pluraleyes for a long time now and its just reliable. $200 is not that much considering how powerful it is and how easy it is to use.

Dave Partington October 31st, 2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Latimer (Post 1818765)
I have not used WooWave, but I do use Pluraleyes and I'm a big fan. I have FCP X, which has the same feature built in, but Plural Eyes is able to sync some audio that FCP can't. It was worth the cost for me.

I've used PluraalEyes since FCP7, then on to Premiere Pro and then with FCPX. TBH I've found things that plural eyes could sync that FCPX couldn't, but equally things FCPX can sync that PluralEyes can't

In fact, it's probably 6 months since I used PluralEyes because FCPX has been so reliable.

I had used v1 and v2, but v3 just didn't work for me at all, so we gave up on it.

Steve Bleasdale October 31st, 2013 01:18 PM

I dislike plural eyes, sometimes it syncs sometimes a nightmare. If I have my zooms and then I want to add a voice recorder audio you have to mess around with another sequence in cs6, you cannot mix the two. Unless someone can enlighten me? I find I can sync quicker myself by hand on the timeline.

Dave Partington November 1st, 2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale (Post 1818806)
I dislike plural eyes, sometimes it syncs sometimes a nightmare. If I have my zooms and then I want to add a voice recorder audio you have to mess around with another sequence in cs6, you cannot mix the two. Unless someone can enlighten me? I find I can sync quicker myself by hand on the timeline.

Why would you need another sequence Steve? I've always been able to mix different audio sources on the same sequence, even with Premiere Pro.

Steve Bleasdale November 3rd, 2013 04:58 PM

For some reason Dave when I have my zoom h1 audio and three camera audio,then add a voice recorder audio it does not seem to sync? I then create another sequence just for the voice recorder. Steve

Dave Partington November 3rd, 2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale (Post 1819190)
For some reason Dave when I have my zoom h1 audio and three camera audio,then add a voice recorder audio it does not seem to sync? I then create another sequence just for the voice recorder. Steve

Prior to doing the sync, have you tried selecting the voice recorder track and the replace audio (from the menus)? That used to fix all the audio sync problems I had.

Steve Bleasdale November 3rd, 2013 05:46 PM

Ha!! Will try that Dave cheers mate...

Steve Bleasdale November 5th, 2013 12:20 PM

Dave could you elaborate on what you said try as its not working for some reason. steve

Dave Partington November 5th, 2013 12:33 PM

Select the audio clip in the timeline, go to the following menu :

Clip --> Audio Options --> Render & Replace

Premiere Pro will generate a new 32 bit float version of the file and replace it in the sequence. Once you have this, plural eyes should be able to sync it along with all the others.

Sometimes you may need to do render & replace on all the audio tracks, but it depends on what cameras you are using. For instance, I used to have to do this on the Canon XF100 files but not the Canon 5D2/3 files. However, after I imported the sync'd sequence I'd go back and replace all the 'render & replace' footage with the originals again and then delete any duplicates created, or brought in by PluralEyes.

Steve Bleasdale November 5th, 2013 02:56 PM

Ha gotcha Dave thanks that's done it. Cheers man