DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Change to full frame better or same as crop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/519727-change-full-frame-better-same-crop.html)

Steve Bleasdale November 4th, 2013 07:52 AM

Re: Change to full frame better or same as crop

Chris what lens do you use in general in daylight and for running gunning? What lens do you change to for low light? What ISO are you working at very low light? Image stabilization? Are you using a monopod with it or just on your shoulder? Are you working at f2.8 during the day, I like to work at that aperture for nice bokeh, how do you cope with no ND filter, do you just up the shutter speed? steve

Chris Harding November 4th, 2013 08:19 AM

Hi Steve

The EA50 can be a shoulder mount camera or a handheld as the shoulder pad extends out on rails.
With the pad in the body is 280mm long ..with it out 420mm ..a lot bigger than a DSLR but it's very stable on your shoulder so I only shoot either tripod or on shoulder without any monopod. I actually bought both cameras mainly for the form factor as I wanted a DSLR/interchangeable lens camera BUT still wanted an SM camera too ..I simply cannot shoot handheld with DSLR's (I have two Nikons and only use them for stills)

Run 'n Gun I use the stock lens which is 18-200 F3.5-F6.8 and yep it has NO ND's so if you want shallow DOF in bright sunshine you have to go manual and really push the shutter speed OR use a variable ND filter. At receptions I use a Tamron 17-50 Constant F2.8 on one camera (usually on the tripod for speeches) and often my 11-16 F2.8 Tokina for close up work ... even with a manual lens the EA-50 is intelligent enough to see a manual lens and will control shutter and ISO for you!!

I also use the 18-200 at receptions and that still works very well. I tend to limit my gain/ISO to 2500 as I get a crisp noise free image but it is usable higher up too. The only advantage of the stock lens is that it's fully auto if you need it and auto focus is good (especially with long aisles!) and you have the power zoom option too. The camera has a supposedly lossless 2X digital zoom for manual lenses but the image (I think) does go slightly soft at full DZ ) Big advantages for me are the best XLR audio system I have ever used (from whisper quiet ceremonies to 5 piece rock bands at reception I have never had bad audio!) The focus peaking is pure magic as well..3 peaking colours and 3 levels so MF is a breeze and the touch focus on the LCD is deadly accurate with the stock lens ..just touch the bride's dress and it locks on!!

I was a Panasonic user for 23 years and jumped ship to Sony purely due to the EA-50 but then again it's not for everyone ..it's the only camera I have ever bought (and I have bought plenty!) that I seriously find difficult to find fault with! It has everything that Panasonic left out and I always wished for....!

However I might be biased ..but that's my honest opinion...wouldn't swop them for anything that's currently on the market!

Chris

Peter Rush November 4th, 2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale (Post 1819254)
Chris what lens do you use in general in daylight and for running gunning? What lens do you change to for low light? What ISO are you working at very low light? Image stabilization? Are you using a monopod with it or just on your shoulder? Are you working at f2.8 during the day, I like to work at that aperture for nice bokeh, how do you cope with no ND filter, do you just up the shutter speed? steve

Hi Steve - I use the kit lens for daylight run and gun which is fast enough at f3.5 - 5.6 with Xume quick release system for my variable ND filter. On a bright day I can get nice bokeh with the kit lens. For low light ceremonies/evening receptions I use a Canon 24-105mm which goes down to f2.8 with my metabones adapter and for speeches always use my Canon 70-200 f2.8 which lets me get out of the guests way. I limit the gain at 24db which is borderline acceptable IMO

Rob Cantwell November 4th, 2013 01:13 PM

i have been using either a Sony NX5 or PMW 200 for speeches with a light, but think next time i'll try out my 5D mk III with a 70 - 200 mm, good idea about not standing in front of people too.

Steve Bleasdale November 4th, 2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1819257)
Hi Steve

The EA50 can be a shoulder mount camera or a handheld as the shoulder pad extends out on rails.
With the pad in the body is 280mm long ..with it out 420mm ..a lot bigger than a DSLR but it's very stable on your shoulder so I only shoot either tripod or on shoulder without any monopod. I actually bought both cameras mainly for the form factor as I wanted a DSLR/interchangeable lens camera BUT still wanted an SM camera too ..I simply cannot shoot handheld with DSLR's (I have two Nikons and only use them for stills)

Run 'n Gun I use the stock lens which is 18-200 F3.5-F6.8 and yep it has NO ND's so if you want shallow DOF in bright sunshine you have to go manual and really push the shutter speed OR use a variable ND filter. At receptions I use a Tamron 17-50 Constant F2.8 on one camera (usually on the tripod for speeches) and often my 11-16 F2.8 Tokina for close up work ... even with a manual lens the EA-50 is intelligent enough to see a manual lens and will control shutter and ISO for you!!

I also use the 18-200 at receptions and that still works very well. I tend to limit my gain/ISO to 2500 as I get a crisp noise free image but it is usable higher up too. The only advantage of the stock lens is that it's fully auto if you need it and auto focus is good (especially with long aisles!) and you have the power zoom option too. The camera has a supposedly lossless 2X digital zoom for manual lenses but the image (I think) does go slightly soft at full DZ ) Big advantages for me are the best XLR audio system I have ever used (from whisper quiet ceremonies to 5 piece rock bands at reception I have never had bad audio!) The focus peaking is pure magic as well..3 peaking colours and 3 levels so MF is a breeze and the touch focus on the LCD is deadly accurate with the stock lens ..just touch the bride's dress and it locks on!!

I was a Panasonic user for 23 years and jumped ship to Sony purely due to the EA-50 but then again it's not for everyone ..it's the only camera I have ever bought (and I have bought plenty!) that I seriously find difficult to find fault with! It has everything that Panasonic left out and I always wished for....!

However I might be biased ..but that's my honest opinion...wouldn't swop them for anything that's currently on the market!

Chris

Thanks for that input Chris superb, cheers

Steve Bleasdale November 4th, 2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1819286)
Hi Steve - I use the kit lens for daylight run and gun which is fast enough at f3.5 - 5.6 with Xume quick release system for my variable ND filter. On a bright day I can get nice bokeh with the kit lens. For low light ceremonies/evening receptions I use a Canon 24-105mm which goes down to f2.8 with my metabones adapter and for speeches always use my Canon 70-200 f2.8 which lets me get out of the guests way. I limit the gain at 24db which is borderline acceptable IMO

Cheers Pete brilliant, I am tying it all down to a 5d mark iii, a gh3 but will need better lens than the 12-35 2.8. Sony ea50, Vg900, maybe just maybe something like the rx10 will do me but I am slowly but surely siding to the 5d simply for the low light i always need. I can get one probably in February for £1700 body then get a vc tamron 24-70 instead of the canon with no is,which will replace my 17-55 on the 60d. swap my 50-150 sigma 2.8 (amazing) for the sigma 70-200 2.8 os. for the full frame, that gives me a nice hfg25 camcorder the 60d and a 5d mark iii with all lens fitting the crop and full frame. Watch ya think. Steve

Peter Rush November 5th, 2013 04:39 AM

I've just got the Tamron 24-70 canon fit which goes down to f1.8 with my metabones adapter - half the price of the canon and nice stabilisation too - it's a heavy little thing and expensive but will come in handy when the lights go down. The only thing is the zoom ring rotates in the opposite way to canon lenses but I'm ok with that. I've only used it at one wedding but it's nice and sharp - no different from my 24-105 in terms of image quality - worth it for the extra speed though - I would love to ditch my on-camera light and this lens goes some way to doing that for me.

I have a 5DIII that I do bring out when it's really dark but i film everything full HD so the lack of 50p bothers me - it just seems too jittery compared to my NEXCAMS 50p - especially if you want to slow it down!

Steve Bleasdale November 5th, 2013 09:47 AM

Ha thanks Pete, I did think about the 50p but I rarely do slow mo, if I do its with the glidecam and hfg25 at 50i which is smooth. The Tamron a good shout, I cant believe canon have not got a 2.8 with is??

Peter Rush November 6th, 2013 11:09 AM

Actually Canon do an EF-S Lens - 17-55mm IS USM but it's for crop sensor cameras - I'm using full frame lenses on my EA50 - Don't know why the EF short 2.8 zooms have no IS though!

Nigel Barker November 6th, 2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1819551)
Actually Canon do an EF-S Lens - 17-55mm IS USM but it's for crop sensor cameras - I'm using full frame lenses on my EA50 - Don't know why the EF short 2.8 zooms have no IS though!

For the same reason as prime lenses in the 24mm to 70mm range don't have IS because you don't really need it for still photography at those focal lengths.

Peter Riding November 6th, 2013 01:02 PM

Steve B, are any of the above going to earn you more money? Thats what I mean by revolutionary v. incremental / evolutionary. that must always be the acid test when shooting to pay the mortgage v. shooting as an enthusiast.

Seems to me that we are at a point right now where great things are bubbling up but not quite arrived.

If you fancy playing with some latest releases during the quiet season thats fine - I'm sure we all love doing that.

But if your current gear performs adequately I would hold fire.

Its sobering to remember that many brides are not even fussed whether their final product is SD or HD and request HD simply because its whats expected or its what was pushed at them in marketing!

Pete

Steve Bleasdale November 6th, 2013 02:07 PM

Peter do you know you are quite correct! In seven years I have had just one query? guess what I was using a dslr all day and she did not like the out of focus bit behind at her guests hahaha. I did explain it was the film look bokeh and she said what's that. So yes it may be me as a mad lunatic forking out more money that I do not need to do. I do have four weddings left in the darkest areas and times so will just use a light cheers for bringing me down to earth.....

Clive McLaughlin November 6th, 2013 03:22 PM

We all know half the skill of being a wedding videographer is the practical side of things. Most of my purchases are based on how to best get everything I should in the most efficient way. Actual video quality is secondary to that (only to an extent of course!).

Chris Harding November 6th, 2013 06:22 PM

Hi Steve

Most of us here are guys and, as you know, most guys are tech-heads and simply cannot resist getting something newer/better/faster

Our current gear does a great job and really doesn't need to be changed BUT we like to get new toys. Seriously I have also had just one pre-wedding question from a couple wanting to know if I shot in SD or HD in 10 years and never, ever has a bride asked me for a BluRay copy of their wedding.

Technically I could still be shooting in SD still on 5 year old cameras BUT I'm like everyone else and when a new camera comes out I want it!!

It's hard to control our desires sometimes because we take our cameras personally even though they are just a business tool! OK, I will hold off any new cams until at least mid 2015 I think as I bought my latest Sony's just 8 months ago

Chris

Arthur Gannis November 6th, 2013 08:10 PM

Almost every couple I had this year demanded I make the copies in Blu-Ray discs. That's the first thing they ask before they even sign the contract. I even had 2 clients for next year asking for UHD possibilities. I would have lost a lot of sales if I just even mention DVD's as the only option. Blu-Ray is the magic word for them. I just want to see what will happen when UHD televisions and broadcast standards will be the norm.

Noa Put November 7th, 2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

I just want to see what will happen when UHD televisions and broadcast standards will be the norm.
That will take another few years for this to be the norm in households and even then you can still supply a 1080p file and they will still love it. A lot of people also have 3d tv's what also was going to be the next big thing yet nobody is asking for it, if someone specifically would ask for a 4k recording then they have to find a videographer that does this but they can only hope he doesn't suck, but at least the image will be sharp. :) I think we videographers are the only ones that pixelpeep and worry about resolution and dynamic range, a client only gets slapped around the ears with so many marketing terms telling them it's what they need to get, yet they are happy with their 200 dollar camera shooting at a 7mbs avchd they can connect to their Triluminos-display, X-Reality PRO, basreflex-soundspeaker and NFC One-touch mirroring Motionflow XR 600 Hz tv so they can watch their holiday movies where they use the digital zoom handheld all the time.
When they then see our 1080p wedding video they will be surprised :)

Steve Bleasdale November 7th, 2013 03:58 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Harding;1819618]Hi Steve

Most of us here are guys and, as you know, most guys are tech-heads and simply cannot resist getting something newer/better/faster

Our current gear does a great job and really doesn't need to be changed BUT we like to get new toys. Seriously I have also had just one pre-wedding question from a couple wanting to know if I shot in SD or HD in 10 years and never, ever has a bride asked me for a BluRay copy of their wedding.

Technically I could still be shooting in SD still on 5 year old cameras BUT I'm like everyone else and when a new camera comes out I want it!!

It's hard to control our desires sometimes because we take our cameras personally even though they are just a business tool! OK, I will hold off any new cams until at least mid 2015 I think as I bought my latest Sony's just 8 months ago

Spot on Chris, I don't think I have burned a BluRay in 4 years.. I agree we as men have our toys, just wish my wife saw it that way.. haha

Eric Coughlin November 7th, 2013 11:43 AM

I never really understood why people liked full frame so much for video. Cropped sensor is what high end digital film cameras like the Red Epic, Arri Alexa, and Sony F55 have. Super 35mm film cameras are not full frame either. I can understand someone saying, "The 5D Mark III is really good in low light, so that's why I want it," but not someone saying, "The 5D is full frame, so that's why I want it." I realize that you can achieve shallower depth of field with full frame, but cropped sensor with fast prime lenses will generally get one all the shallowness they'd need. I shoot with a C100 which produces a better image than any full frame camera out there (perhaps only rivaled by 5D Mark III RAW hack), which is one reason I don't see any advantage to full frame.

When I'm on Glidecam, having a deeper depth of field makes it easier to keep things in focus. I'd say a 1.5-6 crop finds a nice balance between not having too shallow of a depth of field, while also having a shallow enough depth of field to make things look nice. Another thing that bothers me with full frame is that often on a 70-200 at 200mm it's not tight enough of a shot for vows, while with a cropped sensor it generally is.

Robert Benda November 7th, 2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin (Post 1819753)
I never really understood why people liked full frame so much for video. Cropped sensor is what high end digital film cameras like the Red Epic, Arri Alexa, and Sony F55 have. Super 35mm film cameras are not full frame either. I can understand someone saying, "The 5D Mark III is really good in low light, so that's why I want it," but not someone saying, "The 5D is full frame, so that's why I want it." I realize that you can achieve shallower depth of field with full frame, but cropped sensor with fast prime lenses will generally get one all the shallowness they'd need.

They would say they want a full frame camera because of shallow DOF, or because a full frame camera is generally about two f/stops better in low light. We shoot weddings and use both, because each has advantages. So we decided we wanted a pair of full frames, then went and found what was right for us. And that is apart from the fact that at similar price points, the full frame will have less noise than crop factors (for instance, I can get a gently used 5d Mark ii or a 70D for around $1100. I recall seeing a chart showing the ISO noise as comparable at 70D IS0900 versus 5Dii ISO1600).

The full frame at f/2.8 would be about the same as the crop factor at f/1.8, OR, in a really dark room, let me keep the ISO at 2500 and shoot at f/1.8 where the crop factor, I'd have to push the ISO into some really noisy levels.

During the ceremony, when the light isn't such a problem, the crop factor let's our 200mm f/4 shoot a great, tight shot of the bride or groom's face and still be a respectful distance away. So we also have a pair of crop factors to use, too.

Steve Bleasdale November 7th, 2013 01:06 PM

Full frame is for low light, on a crop a 30mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.4 are decent but the way I work gunning on a monopod I want full frame because I can then get a 24-70 tamron with Vc. Canon does not do apart from 35mm f2 I want stabilization. So the ISO can go to 6400 and with a 2.8 lens will be very good rather than shaky footage at 1.4. Don't want to use lights simples!!

Noa Put November 7th, 2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Benda (Post 1819767)
The full frame at f/2.8 would be about the same as the crop factor at f/1.8, OR, in a really dark room, let me keep the ISO at 2500 and shoot at f/1.8 where the crop factor, I'd have to push the ISO into some really noisy levels.

"Full frame" and f-stop are not linked when it comes to low light, if that where the case a 5dII should have the same low light performance as a 5dIII since both are full frame, ISO and f-stop are, so it all depends how well a camera can handle high ISO's which can enable you to close down the iris more so you have a more usable dof while a camera that gets noisy much faster at a higher iso needs to open the iris much more resulting in a much shallower dof.

Dave Partington November 7th, 2013 05:55 PM

Kinda late to this thread, and I admit I haven't read every post fully, but here's my take….

We've been from all camcorders to all DSLR, then back to camcorders for some things and full frame DSLRs for others.

Why?

DSLRs (and in particular the 5D3) are awesome at two things:

1) Shallow DOF when you 'want' it

2) They can absolutely bite the nuts off a camcorder in low light.

OTOH they have a couple of major drawbacks:

1) The shallow DOF is a major PITA if you're stood at the front of a darkish church and you're trying to get both B+G in focus (from a side angle) while keeping the ISO low enough to not worry about noise. Even F8 won't do it sometimes (and the longer the lens, the more you need to stop down!). If you're at the back of a church and at 200mm f4 you still don't have enough DOF to get the B+G and minister in focus. You get to choose which, but you can't have both.

2) The short recording times (12mins 5D2, 20 mins D800, 29.59 5D3)

3) The poor audio support (although the 5D3 is not bad if you have an external feed)

They also miss the zebras and focus peeking and waveforms etc etc.

Batteries don't last long. Hell, my Canon XF100s run all day long on one battery while the 5D3 requires several changes, some of which need to be planned well if we're using them for dark environments for speeches that are dragging on.

There is no doubt, the 5D3 is the mutts nuts in low light. ISO6400 (if properly exposed) is usable. 8000 in a pinch. I've shipped footage shot at 12800 and not worried about it (a little kiss from neat video). You can just about shoot in the dark with a 24mm f1.4 lens, but then that's not a cheap one. Bars at a couple of venues come to mind for this setup. The camcorders just about die.

The 24-105L and 70-200 f2.8 are our normal goto kit with the 50 f1.4 and a couple of samyangs as backup.

But, there's no substitute for being able to throw the camcorder in to AF mode as the bride is walking towards you and the DOF afforded by the 1/3" chip gives you lots of room for error if people are moving around in speeches.

So, I'd hate to be back in the either/or camp. I like having both tools available to me, especially when I'm at a venue with crap (cough) "intimate" lighting with dark wood wall panels and I'm shooting a couple with dark skins. Oh man, the DSLR comes right out of bag then, no messing!

Damn. There's never a do all, be all piece of kit out there. Everything is a compromise and I guess it always will be.

Eric Coughlin November 7th, 2013 09:38 PM

My understanding is that low light capabilities are generally related to two factors, pixel size and the camera processor's capability of handling ISOs. The reason the 5D III is better in low light than the 5D II is because the III has an improved processor.

As for pixel size, the larger the pixels are physically on the sensor reading, the more light that can be gathered on the pixel.

The 5D III's sensor size is 36mm × 24mm and its sensor is 22.3 Megapixels. So a 36mm x 24mm sensor is 864 square millimeters, and 22,300,000 pixels / 864 square millimeters is 25,810 pixels per square millimeter.

The 7D's sensor size is 22.3mm × 14.9mm and its sensor is 18.0 Megapixels. So a 22.3mm × 14.9mm sensor is 332.27 square millimeters, and 18,000,000 pixels / 332.27 square millimeters is 54,173 pixels per square millimeter.

The C100's sensor size is 24.6mm x 13.8mm and its sensor is 8.3 Megapixels. So a 24.6mm x 13.8mm sensor is 339.48 square millimeters, and 8,300,000 pixels / 339.48 square millimeters is 24,449 pixels per square millimeter.

As for a 1/3" traditional video camera, the XH-A1s's sensor size is 4.8mm x 3.6mm and its sensor is 1.67 Megapixels (though it has three CCD chips, so I'm not sure how that effects things). So a 4.8mm x 3.6mm sensor is 17.28 square millimeters, and 1,670,000 pixels / 17.28 square millimeters is 96,644 pixels per square millimeter.

So to sum up the amount of pixels that are crammed onto a square millimeter...
5D Mark III: 25,810
7D: 54,173
C100: 24,449
XH-A1s: 96,644

The smaller the number of pixels that are crammed into a square millimeter, the larger the pixels are. The larger the pixels, the more light each pixel can gather. So based on those numbers, the C100 is slightly better in low light than the 5D Mark III, which actually reflects real world results as well. Of course, again, the camera's processor also has a say in the matter.

Steve Bleasdale November 8th, 2013 07:28 AM

There is no doubt, the 5D3 is the mutts nuts in low light. ISO6400 (if properly exposed) is usable. 8000 in a pinch. I've shipped footage shot at 12800 and not worried about it (a little kiss from neat video). You can just about shoot in the dark with a 24mm f1.4 lens, but then that's not a cheap one. Bars at a couple of venues come to mind for this setup. The camcorders just about die.

The 24-105L and 70-200 f2.8 are our normal goto kit with the 50 f1.4 and a couple of samyangs as backup.

But, there's no substitute for being able to throw the camcorder in to AF mode as the bride is walking towards you and the DOF afforded by the 1/3" chip gives you lots of room for error if people are moving around in speeches.

So, I'd hate to be back in the either/or camp. I like having both tools available to me, especially when I'm at a venue with crap (cough) "intimate" lighting with dark wood wall panels and I'm shooting a couple with dark skins. Oh man, the DSLR comes right out of bag then, no messing!

Damn. There's never a do all, be all piece of kit out there. Everything is a compromise and I guess it always will be.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what im saying Dave nice one and that's my arsenal I want. unless a gh3 owner can tell me otherwise....

Steve Bleasdale November 26th, 2013 01:56 PM

Would anyone swap their 5d iii for the c100? One push button focus, peaking, fantastic low light, great dynamic range or has the 5d iii got better shallow depth of field. steve

Arthur Gannis November 26th, 2013 02:23 PM

Just get the Sony A7, it will be out soon on the shelves. 1/2 the price of that 5D abd with the money saved will get you a few really nice primes to do your thing in low light.

Steve Bleasdale November 26th, 2013 02:43 PM

Jeez Arthur, that looks decent, pheeew cant keep up..C100, 5d iii, sony rx10, sony a7, 70d, what else...

Arthur Gannis November 26th, 2013 03:12 PM

I would scratch off the C100, the 70d, even the 5D3, and seriously look at them Sony's. That auto focus on video mode will make shooting a wedding a breeze. This bokeh and DOF thing is way too hyped about. You can still get that effect with F2.8 if you know to manipulate distance and focal length. If you really want F1.4 territory, then the A7 has it with Carl Zeiss glass.

Dave Partington November 26th, 2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale (Post 1822242)
Would anyone swap their 5d iii for the c100? One push button focus, peaking, fantastic low light, great dynamic range or has the 5d iii got better shallow depth of field. steve

I'd swap in a heart beat if the C100 wasn't quite so expensive. I'm seriously considering picking one up though…..

The shallow DOF on the 5D3 is great, but can also be a problem (i.e. when you want more DOF). The C100 images are so much sharper and the C100 is even better in low light.

With the dual pixel AF mode coming next year as an upgrade, the C100 looks even better.

In fact, if any one has a C100 they would like to swap for a 5D3 (with some adjustment of course) then gimme a shout!

Steve Bleasdale November 26th, 2013 03:52 PM

Haha nice one Dave it looks tempting alright, my wife is barking mad already at me looking at one but it does look easier to use than a dslr. Got all the lens and the body is £3700 but should come down soon. Arthur onto something though that a7 looks great!!

Steve Bleasdale November 26th, 2013 04:47 PM

Arthur already there seems moire issues with the a7

Arthur Gannis November 26th, 2013 06:35 PM

Moire ?? then how about the 36mp version A7r ?

Steve Bleasdale November 27th, 2013 03:16 AM

More expensive Arthur than the 5d iii...I think they are all gimmiks from Sony to just exploit the market and get those millions in...

Dave Partington November 27th, 2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis (Post 1822284)
Moire ?? then how about the 36mp version A7r ?

If the 36MP D800 was anything to go by, yes there will be moire (I shot with one for a season). More MP doesn't always mean better video.

Dave Partington November 28th, 2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis (Post 1822243)
Just get the Sony A7, it will be out soon on the shelves. 1/2 the price of that 5D abd with the money saved will get you a few really nice primes to do your thing in low light.

Take a look at this then…. comparison of moire & aliasing on the A7 vs 5D3.

Resolution / Aliasing / Comparison: Sony A7 vs. A7r vs. Canon 5D mark III cinema5D

Steve Bleasdale November 28th, 2013 06:19 PM

That's the one I saw Dave...

Danny O'Neill November 29th, 2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale (Post 1822242)

We've just gone all C100 and I have to say, this thing is utterly amazing. ISO 20,000 is just beautiful and clean. Peaking, continuous recording.

On the focus side, dont get too excited. Its just the same as pusing the AF button on your DSLR. It hunts, in, out, in out then settles. Its nothing like servo autofocus like you remember on the likes of the Z1 or any other dedicated video camera. In a word, its useless and not something you would ever use. Quicker to manually focus.

The question really is do you have the budget to upgrade? And, how old are your cameras? We give all our gear a 5 year life cycle. You will gain pretty much nothing by going full frame. My personal fav is the 7D for DSLR shooting. Even the C100 has a 1.3 crop. Low light, yes the MK3 is better but if light is that low that you need the MK3's extra power then things really must be dark and I would consider throwing a little wattage in there. Even shooting in a candlelit castle with the 7D I was happy with the results at ISO 1250 (shutter down to 30).

Thing with the C100 is the extra power only comes into play when you shoot using c-log. Which means all your cameras need to shoot with this really as its pretty hard to mix DSLR with c-log footage.

Switching brands you must also consider... what are you going to do with your significant lens investment? Make sure you can buy some adapters.

To be honest, I have no issue with the 5DMK2 and a 7D setup like we have.

Steve Bleasdale November 29th, 2013 05:48 AM

Cheers Danny always great info from you. Yes sure my 60ds are still great and touch wood no comaints in 7 years. But it's just that time when the B&G don't want the lights on in a dark ambient environment. I have five in Knowsley hall next year and I tell you it's dark dungeon like. 1.4 50mm is ok at 1600 and neat video is good at fine tuning any noise but I am a geek and a 5d is in my thoughts and now a c100!!! Us men and toys ha

Danny O'Neill December 5th, 2013 12:49 PM

Also consider going for a shutter speed of 30. Breaks all the rules, blah blah blah but we use it all the time when we need a push and notice very little extra motion blur over 1/50.

C100 is great so far but it is a 1.54 crop, so like a 7d. Having to look at our lens bag as the 50mm is now more like 85mm telephoto.

Steve Bleasdale December 5th, 2013 01:20 PM

Cheers Danny... I think the 5d iii is going to be my last camera buy, like you say the c100 will be hard to match my dslrs and I think the 5d iii will match better in cinema c profile which I love.. Work flow really is the same as the c100 all manual anyway, just you will have the peaking and other bits on the c100 but im used to the dslr run and gun so the 5d will fit in. Will you be using two c100s or will you try match to dslr? steve