DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Really bad DJ lights! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/519739-really-bad-dj-lights.html)

Peter Rush November 1st, 2013 08:12 AM

Really bad DJ lights!

1 Attachment(s)
The picture says it all - from last week's wedding - everyone had polka dots!

Art Varga November 1st, 2013 08:34 AM

Re: Really bad DJ lights!

Ha! - I appreciate when the DJ or venue can bring provide some nice lighting but it can be a detriment too. At my last wedding the venue had these ridiculously bright spots on the bride and groom for their dance. Of course the B&G were both wearing white so it was challenging to keep the shot from being blown out.

Art

Steve Bleasdale November 1st, 2013 10:18 AM

Haha nice one Pete, same here the other week bright green lights all over their faces all the dance whatever angle I went to..

Rob Cantwell November 4th, 2013 01:09 PM

On Halloween night, I was hired to cover a 'Zombie Walk' an initiative organised by our local Borough Council, the lighting was a real challenge, some of it i managed ok, others not so well, it ran from 7 pm to 10 pm, all outdoors with just street lights for the most part until they got to the finishing point (car park) where the event wound up, there, they had laser lights and all sorts of spots and gels etc. that distracted my focusing somewhat. There was around 2000 people attending.

Must say tho, my little Sony PJ760 performed very good considering the conditions.

I'll post up a link to some footage as soon as the council have finished with it.

Paul Mailath November 4th, 2013 08:20 PM

I always check out the DJ's rig and ask them not to use any of that till after the 1st dance - laser lights are the worst - It looks like someone is using a sight on the bride and is about to shoot.

Robert Benda November 5th, 2013 06:26 AM

Paul, don't know about in Australia, but here in the U.S. lasers are illegal to have pointing anywhere they might hit someone's eye. So you can have them, but they have to not angle down at all.

I've never liked the disco mirror balls at weddings.

Paul Mailath November 5th, 2013 10:57 AM

well maybe they're not lasers but they certainly look just like a laser pointer and even across a reception room they still give a bright pinpoint of light - you can imagine what that does to a wedding dress - looks like it's got measles!

Arthur Gannis November 5th, 2013 11:38 AM

3 years ago I did a wedding video in Montreal, Canada where the DJ had those bright polka spots going all over the place throughout most of the evening despite several attempts by the photographer and myself to shut them off as they do really affect the photos as well as the video. I myself went up to the DJ and showed him on my camera the problem, to no avail. later had a small talk with the bride after which the spots went off. At that time most of the evening was done. Well guess what ? The DJ got sued for $5000 as with his 10+ years experience should have known the damaging effects of his equipment towards image capturing and video. The photographer and I would testify, if it came to that, to the fact that several times the DJ was politely asked to shut them off because of the unwanted effect. Also the fact that he did not advise the couple that those lights may have undesirable effects on the pictures and video. He settled out of court for $3500 and later claimed he never had a couple complain about that problem before. I guess that all his clients never went to a lawyer before also.