DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Attaching 5D to QR plate securely (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/519963-attaching-5d-qr-plate-securely.html)

Peter Rush November 13th, 2013 07:26 AM

Attaching 5D to QR plate securely

Hi all 5D and other similar DSLR users. I only use my 5D for the evening reception but even in that short time the QR plate (manfrotto) slowly rotates and works it's way loose and I have to keep tightening it up - I'm assuming it's because the 5D only has one point of screw attachment and traditional video cams (as in my sony EA50/VG20) have that as well as an extra 'locating' pin to stop it coming loose.

Any tips to stop this happening?

Pete

Dave Partington November 13th, 2013 07:31 AM

Re: Attaching 5D to QR plate securely

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1820442)
Hi all 5D and other similar DSLR users. I only use my 5D for the evening reception but even in that short time the QR plate (manfrotto) slowly rotates and works it's way loose and I have to keep tightening it up - I'm assuming it's because the 5D only has one point of screw attachment and traditional video cams (as in my sony EA50/VG20) have that as well as an extra 'locating' pin to stop it coming loose.

Any tips to stop this happening?

Pete

Tongue in cheek here Peter, but super glue ;)

Seriously, i have the same problem and just have to keep tightening them from time to time. There is too much leverage fora single screw to hold, so give it a really good tighten and don't keep twisting it ;)

Brian David Melnyk November 13th, 2013 07:35 AM

I use some small strips of bike handlebar tape. It won't leave a sticky mess, and it gives a bit more grip when you compress it down.

Bob Ohlemann November 13th, 2013 09:56 AM

This is the solution you seek:

Photography and Cinema - Store ATP - Anti Twist Plate for Manfrotto 501PL

Bob

Peter Rush November 13th, 2013 10:43 AM

Magic - What a good idea - ordering one right now!

Evan Bourcier November 13th, 2013 11:07 AM

You guys using the 501 plates? I screw mine on tight and never have issues.

Peter Riding November 13th, 2013 11:11 AM

Thats what I was thinking as well. I have 501 plates on all mine and the little lug at the front seems to stop any spinning. I do have battery grips on all my dSLRs though - not sure if that makes any difference.

Pete

Chris Talawe November 13th, 2013 11:15 AM

I dont have issues all the time either. It will happen once every 4-5 events but for every event I just tightened it as part of my prep checklist.

Peter Rush November 13th, 2013 11:58 AM

Yep - it's a 501 and does work it's way loose - maybe I'm heavy handed! Looking closely the plate has 2 rubber strips that are sliding askew - i've tried a little superglue and as i'm filming at the weekend it will put it to the test