DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Selling Your Service VS. Uncle Bob (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/521029-selling-your-service-vs-uncle-bob.html)

Robert Benda January 16th, 2014 11:21 AM

Re: Selling Your Service VS. Uncle Bob

I've come around to this: I think I'm going to make a 2-5 minute video more in keeping with a 'What Kind of Videographer do You Want' gist. Much like the article I wrote, it will simply highlight some of the different options out there. Yes, I will include DIY (single camera from the back of the church), cinematic, and documentary.

Much like the article, I will do my best to come across as someone just trying to help them sort it all out, which means positive and honest. It's less about selling our own service. I'll include various examples with reasoning of why or why not someone might be interested.

This is actually similar to what I did for my DJ'ing. I'm well aware that some folks just don't see the value (or the point) of what I do, and that a DJ who only plays music and does NOTHING else, is what they expect - or even just an iPod playlist. Or even no dance at all.

I don't need all of them to be interested, but by helping them figure out what they're really looking for, and how to get it, I can find my clients.

Steven Digges January 16th, 2014 11:43 AM

Robert,

I looked at your site. I have something you may be interested in. I got an e-mail the other day from a wedding planning company. It is a so called press release addressing the issue of guests getting in the way of pro shooters (both still and video) at weddings. It has pictures and all. If more planners would address this issue it would make life easier for you guys. If someone wants to see it PM me and I will forward it to you. They did a good job of it. PDF and all. You might want to show it to planners you work with. This planning company is definitely backing their shooters!

Sorry for going OT but I know it is a big issue for you wedding guys. And Robert is trying to educate couples on his site.

Steve

Chris Harding January 16th, 2014 08:10 PM

As Robert (being a DJ/MC) would know, the MC can make a HUGE difference here. Just communicating with the guests and telling them to allow the video/photog clear access to the cake for the cutting THEN they can come up and take all the photos they want..

Once your video is made Robert post the link for us so we can take a look ?

Chris

Robert Benda January 16th, 2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1828136)
As Robert (being a DJ/MC) would know, the MC can make a HUGE difference here. Just communicating with the guests and telling them to allow the video/photog clear access to the cake for the cutting THEN they can come up and take all the photos they want..

Once your video is made Robert post the link for us so we can take a look ?

Chris

Will do. Probably a month or so. We have a wedding next week where I will try to setup an Uncle Bob cam.

Chris Harding January 16th, 2014 10:33 PM

That's great Rob

Make sure that you have someone also who can take it off the tripod and walk around a bit with it so you get true amateur footage ....even a back view camera can look pretty good if it's left on the tripod ...Often brides rave about footage from my little GoPro so it will be essential to get really poor audio and some nice wobbles on the video. The last thing you want is a bride to think that the Uncle Bob footage is better than yours ... !!

Chris

Matt Thomas January 17th, 2014 06:52 AM

Chris, what GoPro do you use for weddings and do you have any samples of the footage?

I can't decided whether to use my Canon 550D as a static wider shot or get a Go Pro to do that job.

Thanks

Chris Harding January 17th, 2014 07:12 AM

Hi Matt

I never ever rely on the GoPro but if you are going down to DVD the image is plenty good enough..I just use a Hero 2 Where it's really an asset is I put it on a lighting stand so it's 8' up in the air so if the photog blocks me or the MOB decides to step in front of the camera, I have a safety shot. Remember it's all auto so it cannot handle backlit scenarios so sometimes I just have to trash the footage but other times it's absolute magic!!

I figure for less than $400 it's always worth using and I know it will run all on it's own for an hour or more and just do it's thing. For interest I use the Medium FOV not the wide one as that's a bit too drastic and brides seem to love it. Hoist it up, press record and leave it!!

I also works really well in a Church on an upstairs balcony!

Chris

Tim Bakland January 18th, 2014 07:58 PM

I figure that if the couple chooses Uncle Bob over me, then one of the following is true:

1. Their tastes are not at all discerning (and so good for them -- they've saved thousands and will be happy)
2. They don't have the money to spend -- and so its irrelevant to me anyway
3. Uncle Bob is actually really good at filming weddings (and so REALLY good for them!)

If they are happy with Uncle Bob's work, then they should by all means go with him and not spend money on me. If they can't afford me, they can't afford me -- and this only impacts me if not enough people can afford me for me to stay in business. (But if my prices are working otherwise, it doesn't impact me.)

In other words, I feel that a really quality videographer is so irrelevant from Uncle Bob that, if a couple goes with Uncle Bob, it has nothing to do with our selling our product better. It's an apples and oranges scenario.