DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wish I covered this wedding ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/521277-wish-i-covered-wedding.html)

James Palanza January 28th, 2014 04:14 PM

Re: Wish I covered this wedding ...

That room has a cement floor with a solid flat wooden beam ceiling. There was very little fire risk here. Ive been inappropriately setting off fireworks my entire life for fun with friends. Even if you had those fountains directly pointed on the ceiling those beams wouldn't catch fire themselves. You would literally have to start a bonfire in the middle of the floor to burn that place down.

Would I do that at my wedding? No - too smokey and I dont want to take a firework to the face on my wedding day. But life threatening? No way.

Just sayin its different cultures. I dont think its right to make fun of the things people value as important in their lives. Im pretty sure fireworks are a pretty big deal in certain cultures around the world.

Edit: take a look at this for instance. there are festivals globally where people literally dance in fireworks

Also in spain

Paul Mailath January 29th, 2014 02:03 AM

it's dangerous & stupid - no matter where it's done

The most exciting and dangerous firework festival in the world: Yan Shui Feng Pao
Spectators have been wounded by rocketing fireworks while standing too close to the erupting hive. However, the festival is still held, despite moves to ban it.

History: 1875, the deity Guan Gong visited a man in a dream and bade the villagers to parade his statue around the town and bombard it with firecrackers. The villagers followed Guan Gong's instructions and the epidemic ceased. To prevent its return, the tradition has been repeated most years since

Noa Put January 29th, 2014 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Palanza (Post 1829669)
but just because their culture is different doesn't mean you are better than them.

I do respect every culture out there but it doesn't mean some habits can be plain stupid and dangerous, especially according to our standards, a good example would also be the bullrunning in Pamplona where people can and do get seriously injured, what they consider as a major festivity every year can look idiotic and life threatening to many others. In above wedding my only concern would be anyone being hit in the eye when such a fireworks explodes which could result in loosing your eyesight, there where also little kids running around there as well which made it even more ridiculous, I couldn"t stop laughing at first but it was mainly because of the sheer stupidity of what I was witnessing

James Manford January 29th, 2014 09:05 AM

Natural selection at it's finest James ....

If people want to be idiots, so be it.

And i'm not being arrogant ... far from it. I guess in the west the agenda of health and safety is shoved down our throats from a young age so much that it's kind of embedded into our minds now.

Darren Levine January 29th, 2014 11:53 AM

Stupidity has no bounds

nor does it have any bias

Anyone why isn't a complete idiot knows that fire, is something you only use indoors when it's in a FIREplace, and things like fireworks are never meant to be used indoors, and it states such info on every commercially sold firework.

lighting a roman candle indoors has no excuse, it's nothing to do with culture, it's just plain stupid.

"let's light this stick that shoots white hot flaming balls in a confined space where it can bounce around"

Stupid. It's the only course being served

Jeff Harper January 29th, 2014 01:37 PM

This thread is a criticism of the subjects in the video and of the family and I find it somewhat odd and out of place in this forum. The video is obviously homemade and of no relevance to what we normally discuss here. What is the point? Who is being helped?

Poorer people typically have little to no experience with planning a wedding or similar event and likely have no one with any expertise to turn to for help. These folks obviously were not well off. Calling them names (idiots) and judging them in this forum seems weird to me.

James P, you are right and I agree with you 100%.

Do we have nothing better to do than to pick apart some less fortunate folks on their wedding day?

What always bothers me most about these situations is the judgementalism and snobbery and how quickly people will pile on.