DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   When Vimeo is down :( (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/521380-when-vimeo-down.html)

Tim Bakland February 1st, 2014 02:54 PM

When Vimeo is down :(

I'm probably not the only one who's already noticed vimeo is down.
I often wonder if I depend too much on Vimeo (right now, for example, my website and blog are basically crippled), but it is usually very robust.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Matthias Claflin February 1st, 2014 03:11 PM

Re: When Vimeo is down :(

I'm personally not in the same boat, and often wondered why so many chose vimeo. Vimeo has a file limit on how many GB you can upload and has outrageous video processing times for those who don't pay for a membership. Earlier, before Youtube started doing well, Vimeo had higher quality video, however Vimeo doesn't even support 1080p video. It claims to, but really it compresses it to 720 and then blows it up to 1080, unless something has changed over the last few months.

For this reason alone I use Youtube, which can now support up to 4K if I'm not mistaken. I personally like the YT player itself better than the vimeo one as well, but that is just a personal preference.

Why do so many seem to like Vimeo over YT?

Peter Riding February 1st, 2014 03:54 PM

Some sad little morons attacked the site:

https://vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:114011

Its working for me. Seems embedded videos were not affected so anyone simply using Vimeo as a host is OK.

I gave up on Youtube because of the incessant advertising, the default low resolution playback, and the weird music licensing practices. I do pay for the Pro membership. If you prefer that over a clean high res playback so be it :- )

Pete

Matthias Claflin February 1st, 2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Riding (Post 1830157)
the default low resolution playback,

Isn't the default on Vimeo also SD? (likely 480p?)

I do agree about the Ads though... That is a fair point, but one I haven't had a problem with, as I don't monetize my videos and therefore don't have ads in front of them.

Noa Put February 1st, 2014 04:39 PM

I believe that whatever you post on youtube can be used by google in whatever way they like, youtube is a very good way to get your video to a as wide audience possible but it's also filled with a lot of crap and has loads of insulting comments which I don't want to be associated with in my business, Vimeo otoh has a much more respectful user base and the quality of videos is of a much higher level generally.

You can choose to embed your videos as hd files so they start playing at their highest quality, for demo purposes I think the quality is more then enough, even if it's "only" 720p, 4k on the internet is only for geeks and it's overkill for almost everyone else (how many people have a 4k pc screen?) Especially since you have to convert to a low bitrate anyway for internetuse so you never get to see it in a way it as shot.

I"m not always satisfied with Vimeo though (I have a plus account), especially while viewing the video's, often it downloads very slow during playback and then starts buffering, there are certain times during the day it all goes well but often it's quite slow.

The fact that processing times are very slow on free accounts, that's Vimeo's way to say you need to upgrade or else go back to youtube :)

Chris Harding February 1st, 2014 07:25 PM

I agree Vimeo's quality is better but that's only useful if you need to show off your work to your buddy and need to impress him.

Yes YT is often a bit painful but most of the time I find that you end up waiting for videos to buffer and brides just DON'T like that ...I don't want them moving off my site cos the video takes time to load so I stick with YT and also run my online clips in SD so the video plays quickly and almost instantly so the potential bride has no issues with loading or buffering.

What I do is use Video Light Box on my samples page and link to YouTube. That way the interface is my custom one and the clips are a nice viewing size too. I can have thumbnails laid out the way I want them and the video zooms up to centre screen and then shrinks back when it's ended. However most of all with YT I rarely have any issues with loading and buffering which to me is more important than having perfect resolution.

Chris

Tim Bakland February 1st, 2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Claflin (Post 1830159)
Isn't the default on Vimeo also SD? (likely 480p?)

If you have PRO, you can default your videos to play in HD embedded -- and this is actually why I use vimeo over YouTube. I want to be the one deciding the quality (not having people let YouTube default to a low-res playback. Maybe YouTube has added a feature for this (for the video owner to decide playback quality?) I'm not sure.

Peter -- you were right, at first. But for a couple of hours, actually, even the embedded videos went down. oh well -- there are worse things in life! And all is well now.

Richard Gooderick February 2nd, 2014 05:53 AM

Vimeo seems to load and play a lot faster since the recent redesign of the player.

My main gripe with Vimeo is the way it behaves on the ipad. The layout is bizarre. A collection of different sized picons. Which in itself is OK but they seem to include somebody's home movie and you don't have any control of which of your videos play on your home page.

If I want to use it to show some recent films to potential client I can't. They aren't there. Vimeo chooses which videos appear. I can't even search for them because there is no search.

It is unusable.

Peter Riding February 2nd, 2014 07:15 AM

???

I'm watching videos on my Vimeo page at the moment, on my Ipad 3. And yes there is a search box.

I'm using Chrome as the browser.

I can also watch videos I've embedded on my website no problem.

However if someone embeds a vimeo video on this forum and if I'm using an Ipad I get a "plugin not supported" message. But I'm more inclined to lay the blame for that with the supercilious smug morons at Apple. The more so because also with their latest update of itunes for pc i get a runtime error and can't use it any more even with a clean reinstall. I' m far from alone with that issue.

Pete

Richard Gooderick February 2nd, 2014 07:20 AM

I should have said.
I am using the ipad app.