DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   I hate being called 'The video man' (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/521406-i-hate-being-called-video-man.html)

Peter Rush February 3rd, 2014 06:34 AM

I hate being called 'The video man'

Why can't some togs remember a name - I mean I'm not the best but at a recent wedding the tog kept calling me 'the video man' and also kept calling the bride Danielle - even though it was Katie - his excuse was he'd photographed a Katie the day before.

Pete

Tim Lewis February 3rd, 2014 06:43 AM

Re: I hate being called 'The video man'

Embroidered shirts?

Don Bloom February 3rd, 2014 07:06 AM

Heh, I always tell people call me whatever just spell my name right on the check. Believe it or not, that generally stopped them from calling me anything but my name.

I would kick myself hard for calling the bride by the wrong name. If you're not sure look at the paperwork. A persons name is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING THEY HAVE! Get it right.

I mean as I get older it's harder for me to remember everyones name so there have been times when I'm better off not using a name. I'll go up to someone and say something like "Do you have a minute, I need to ask you something?" At that time my wife usually says "Yes". ;-)

Roger Gunkel February 3rd, 2014 07:08 AM

I had that at a wedding recently, the photographer kept calling me Mr video man....... After a while I decided to return the compliment and started to say ..... "Excuse me photographer".... and "Ah Photographer, can I just"..... After a while he said to me 'Sorry what was your name again?' It was first name terms from then on:-)

Roger

Chris Harding February 3rd, 2014 09:22 AM

I guess we will all have to make big badges saying "Hello ..my name is Roger and I'm the videographer"

If you don't remember the bride and grooms name then you are not taking your job very seriously are you.

My spec sheet obviously has the couple's name but it also has the celebrant, photog and DJ/MC's first names too. Much nicer to greet a fellow vendor with his name than say "hello Mr DJ"

Chris

Bruce Dempsey February 3rd, 2014 10:38 AM

it is a compliment
you know "the best man" etc

Colin Rowe February 3rd, 2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1830341)
Heh, I always tell people call me whatever just spell my name right on the check.

Right on Don

Dave Partington February 3rd, 2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1830364)
I guess we will all have to make big badges saying "Hello ..my name is Roger and I'm the videographer"

It would certainly make life easy for the photographers if every videographer wore a badge saying their name was Roger ;)

So, now we're all called Roger, what else do we have to moan about? :D

Danny O'Neill February 3rd, 2014 02:19 PM

I introduce myself, I do the polite thing to remember their name and I expect the same. I do warn them that if they call me 'video guy' then we are done! :)

Don Bloom February 3rd, 2014 06:54 PM

This reminds me of the old TV commercial for Culligan water softeners. Probably didn't run anywhere but the US. the cartoon womans voice..."HEY Culligan man"!!!!!

Roger Gunkel February 3rd, 2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Partington (Post 1830389)
It would certainly make life easy for the photographers if every videographer wore a badge saying their name was Roger ;)

So, now we're all called Roger, what else do we have to moan about? :D

LOL made me dribble my tea!!

Roger

Chris Harding February 3rd, 2014 07:41 PM

If also works the other way around! I was with my regular photographer Richard and his wife Allyson and the celebrant kept calling him "Michael" ... much to my, and her delight, we also decided to call him Michael for the duration of the wedding.

He gave up eventually and accepted that for this wedding he was going to be Michael, whether he liked it or not!

I notice that over here most shop assistants and sales people (even supermarket checkout girls) have name tags so maybe that's the way to go? At least you will be correctly addressed but it does seem a bit rough to have to have an ID badge everywhere you go!

Chris

Jo Ouwejan February 4th, 2014 04:11 AM

A forum is supposed to ask for solutions for problems.
Now I do not have this problem as my first name is Jo, pronounced as "Yo". So if the call me VideJo Guy, I think I am addressed properly.
But for all of you, who are not so lucky, I have been thinking of solutions for this severe problem.

1) Call your company "The Video Guy",
2) Adopt yourself a second first name, "Guy",
3) Start filming at funerals. At a grave everyone should remain silent.
4) Get yourself a LARGE bagde with your first name on it.
5) Do not get upset, every time they call you "The Video Guy".

:-))

Dave Partington February 4th, 2014 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1830484)
I notice that over here most shop assistants and sales people (even supermarket checkout girls) have name tags so maybe that's the way to go? At least you will be correctly addressed but it does seem a bit rough to have to have an ID badge everywhere you go!
Chris

The problem is of course that when you look down at a large chested girl's name badge the wife, the checkout girl and everyone else around thinks you're looking at cleavage!

James Manford February 4th, 2014 04:40 AM

I've seen photographers wear name tags. The proper office employee staff tags that you have around your neck. Passport size pic, and name underneath.

I feel that's a bit OTT ... but I guess they were fed up with people calling them 'photographer'