DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Which Camera? - Sony VG20 or Sony RX1 or Panasonic AC90 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/521630-camera-sony-vg20-sony-rx1-panasonic-ac90.html)

Matt Thomas February 12th, 2014 05:40 PM

Which Camera? - Sony VG20 or Sony RX1 or Panasonic AC90

Hi guys, I think this section of the forum is great and the members of it.

I'm currently in the market for a couple of new cameras as I'm still using a Z1 (I hate using it due to tapes though) alongside my Canon 550D, but wanting to replace my Z1.

I've narrowed my choices down to VG20, RX1 and the Panasonic AC90 (perhaps the AG-AC8).

But I'm wanting it mainly for Pro Wrestling and other live events as well as general ENG style shooting with the occasional Wedding. So I'm wanting it to be good in low light with a decent zoom lens range and to use Cards.

So far it's a difficult choice, I've only been able to use the VG20 as that is the best way to know if a camera suits you (to actually try it) but not sure if I'll be able to get the other three to try.

Thanks
Matt

Noa Put February 12th, 2014 05:42 PM

Re: Which Camera? - Sony VG20 or Sony RX1 or Panasonic AC90

The Panasonic AC90 looks like the best camera for "eng" style shooting.

Dave Partington February 12th, 2014 05:49 PM

Don't forget the Canon XA20. 20x zoom lens and pretty good in low light. Can also shoot to both cards at the same time for instant backups.

Matt Thomas February 12th, 2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Partington (Post 1831984)
Don't forget the Canon XA20. 20x zoom lens and pretty good in low light. Can also shoot to both cards at the same time for instant backups.

Thanks Dave, I'll look into some footage of these. Is it as a good as a 550D in low light? This is my main issue with choosing a new camera, I want something that's as a good as (or better if possible on such a budget) then my 550D in low light.

Whichever I decide I'm going to get a Sony RX1 as well as C or D cam to go along side the two cameras I eventually buy and my 550D.

I'm getting to shoot on a Canon C300 for a short film later this month for a prison, which is going to annoy me going back to my gear afterwards. I'll be spoiled, haha.

Noa Put February 12th, 2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Is it as a good as a 550D in low light?
I have a 550d that's not being used anymore and know how it performs compared to some more recent camera, if you want to know how it compares in low light it depends at what f-stop and iso you want to compare it at.

Dave Blackhurst February 13th, 2014 03:05 AM

Did you mean RX10 rather than RX1 (RX1 is a fixed lens APS-C camera)?

The RX10 is a decent little beast for video, really hard to beat for the price (unfortunately still pretty much "retail" due to high demand). Not your "typical" video camera, but quite capable for the job, bloody fun to shoot with, and you could add a CX900 or AX100 when they release next month and have a wicked small image capture "package". You mentioned a "couple" cameras, thus the suggestion of two that would share sensor/processor, and might complement each other. You could even add a RX100M2 or two into the mix, as again it shares the sensor with the RX10 (and as far as we've been able to suss out, the AX100). Of course the AX and CX are not yet released, but if they follow the RX lineage as expected, they should be nice enough!

The VG series are nice, but to me a bit heavy and bulky - not anything to really dislike, but I'd rather have smaller and lighter. Not familiar with the Panny...

Peter Rush February 13th, 2014 03:12 AM

I have the VG20 and I would advise the AC90 for pure gun and run features and it'll feel nicely like a traditional video camera - also has XLR for audio, but if you want more creative options then the VG20 allows use of 3rd party lenses - the kit lens is ok for reach (200mm) but at f3.5 - 6.3 is pretty slow for most indoor uses - allowing a change of lens however you're spoilt for choice as long as your budget allows.

I tend to use the VG20 mainly with a Samyang 14mm lens for slider and steadicam work.

Dave Partington February 13th, 2014 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Thomas (Post 1831985)
Thanks Dave, I'll look into some footage of these. Is it as a good as a 550D in low light?

That depends. Do you want to be shooting with f1.4 lenses (expensive) on the 550D to keep the ISO down, yet have shallow DOF on your subjects, or do you want to be able to see more of the ring?

We sold our 550D a long time ago because the low light quality (higher ISO) was sub par.

What ISO/f-stop/DOF are you currently "happy" with on your 550D, or to put it another way, at what point does the 550D stop doing what you need?

Once we have that then other solutions become easier to suggest.

Matt Thomas February 13th, 2014 04:43 AM

Hi Dave,

Well for me personally, I try to shoot on an higher f-stop (around 4 - 5.6) when using it as my static camera but I wouldn't go any higher then 1250 iso using magic lantern.

I think the VG20 would be out the question as using faster prime lenses doesn't work for me when shooting events as I like to have the zoom range, so would need to use the kit lens.