DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Insurance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/521684-insurance.html)

Brian Bechard February 15th, 2014 10:26 PM

Insurance

Looking for good liability/gear coverage insurance. Looking for good rates but above all quality coverage/customer service.

What are you guys using?

Chris Harding February 15th, 2014 11:00 PM

Re: Insurance

Hi Brian

Look for companies that do a Photographer's Package (it's also for Video) ..it usually covers both public liability and I also have gear insurance worldwide. I'm with Aon over here but they are a worldwide company so see if they do a photog package over there and it will also apply to video too!!

Chris

Adrian Tan February 16th, 2014 02:11 AM

Hey Chris, I'd be really interested to know if Aon cover you if your gear is stolen from a reception.

My current insurer (AAMI) doesn't. There's a clause that there has to be some sort of force for the gear to be covered -- meaning, stolen from a locked car or from a house. If it's just a tripod set up in an "open air" area, that anyone can walk in, pick up, and walk off with, they would dispute an insurance claim.

Chris Harding February 16th, 2014 02:34 AM

Hi Adrian

Ask them! They are very helpful as AFAIK my gear has unlimited damage cover ..if someone knocks my camera over or it's dropped and also cover inside a reception venue if it's stolen. I doubt whether it would be covered if I left a camera out in a park doing a photoshoot!! Mine also has theft from a locked car and my venue cover is worldwide so I can do a shoot at a venue in Italy and my gear is covered. I also have the package that gives me $5 million public liability. Theft/Damage cover does have excesses but they are small (between $250 -$300)

I think mine is around $800 a year ..my monthly debits from my account are just over $60 so it's good peace of mind!!

My brother is an assessor with many years in the business and he told me without any hesitation to use Aon so they are worth looking at ... Check the "Photographer's Insurance"

Chris

Adrian Tan February 16th, 2014 03:33 AM

Chris, thanks very much for the info. Really really appreciate it. I've just inquired with Aon.

Steve Bleasdale February 16th, 2014 04:54 AM

Chris Adrian look into that big time as I had a camera set up and. Someone walked into hotel walked of with it and insurance would not pay out because it was not manned??? I said you are joking that's why I have insurance! Nope there was no guy on the camera?? Steve

Bruce Dempsey February 16th, 2014 07:23 AM

Hey Mr. Harding, There are two of those agents in Halifax Canada
Do you have coverage for airborne quadcopter cameras (by any chance)
tks
Bruce

Chris Harding February 16th, 2014 08:12 AM

Hey Bruce

It was never offered or mentioned but based on my skills with a quadracopter (I did one flight and wrecked the copter) they would never insure me!!

I shoot solo so managing 3 cams is hard enough!! I did see a very neat idea though - Strap a GoPro onto a bunch of party helium balloons and tether with a fishing pole and you have an aerial static camera. Just reel it in when you are done!!

I doubt whether any company would insure a drone of any kind!! Maybe the machine itself but not the people it crashes into!!

Chris

Roger Gunkel February 16th, 2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey (Post 1832430)
Hey Mr. Harding, There are two of those agents in Halifax Canada
Do you have coverage for airborne quadcopter cameras (by any chance)
tks
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Most Public Liability insurers would be able to advise you on quadcopter insurance, but there are two very distinct areas. One is for Hobby flying which is easy to insure for if you join a RC model aircraft association. membership often gives automatic cover

The other is for commercial flying, which is a completely different scenario. You will need to be licensed by the aviation authority for your country before an insurance company will offer any coverage. In the UK, CAA licensing for a small quad involves a written ground test showing an understanding of air law, notams, restrictions etc, then a flying examination using your own quad, to demonstrate proper control and emergency procedures. The lessons, exams and license total about £1500 at the basic level.

Roger

Bruce Dempsey February 16th, 2014 10:36 AM

thanks to you both
going to see about joining a club for starters

Adrian Tan February 17th, 2014 12:50 AM

Hey Chris, just letting you know that, judging by their contract, Aon doesn't cover theft of goods while they're unattended (eg tripod left on dance floor at reception). Also only covers up to $10,000 for goods stolen from a locked car left overnight.

So it's so far looking like videographers pretty much have to risk their gear every time they do a job, and that insurers don't want to touch the situation.

Chris Harding February 17th, 2014 01:37 AM

Hi Adrian

Thanks for the heads up! I guess that's pretty logical .. I haven't studied the contract in great depth but I do know that it covers us for damage to gear at a venue. Then again who would want to insure a risk of an unattended camera at a venue ... If I'm going elsewhere on my Stedicam shoot I leave my gear with someone at the reception venue (staff not guests!) and never have had an issue. I also wouldn't ever leave my gear overnight in my car ... when I get home that's the first thing I do ..unpack!

My main reason for insurance was the public liability side. I was told a LONG time ago that venues can refuse you entry if you cannot prove PL insurance ..funnily enough not one venue has ever asked me about it!!

I guess some base insurance is an evil necessity and then make sure you look after your gear. Most of my venues are regular so I know the staff well and I'm sure they would intervene is anyone started fiddling with it. I wonder what is considered "un-attended" ? If you have a cam on a tripod at one end of the dance floor and move to the other side with a second camera, is that considered "un-attended"?
I could understand if you left gear in the venue and went home (forgot it) but surely you would be covered as long as you are in the reception venue with the gear ..surely it doesn't have to be in your hands?

Chris

Adrian Tan February 17th, 2014 04:44 AM

I actually have been asked at least twice to prove public liability, so it's definitely useful for that. Also, if you ever go through the process of applying to a council or Roads Authority for permission to film, they usually require you to prove you've got $20 million in coverage.

I guess the main reason to get it, for me, is just slightly more piece of mind if the gear is stolen from home.

Chris Harding February 17th, 2014 05:09 AM

Hi Adrian

I have standard householders insurance for theft of gear from home and mine has a "Specified Items" category over and above the usual household items and those specified items are my camera gear ..AFAIK my AON insurance only covers theft away from home so I upgraded the home insurance to cover my cameras with RAC if the house is broken into.

Chris

Peter Rush February 18th, 2014 03:29 AM

I'm with Photoshield and the wording for 'unattended' equipment is a little ambiguous so I'm going to call them and get it clarified.

As a solo shooter though it is virtually impossible to get the through a whole wedding and not leave your gear at some stage unattended. A good example is a hotel wedding where the same room is being used for the ceremony and reception. After the ceremony I move my gear out of the way to a corner of the room and carry on filming, only to move it all back in position for the speeches. To have to pack it all up and then unpack it again seems overkill, plus I'd have to drag my bags around the hotel as I'm filming. I did once get my stuff locked up behind reception only to have a mad panic when I needed something in a hurry but could not find anyone to unlock it for me.

My public liability is £5M and that has satisfied when I've been asked (only on 2 occasions) however I was asked to film a wedding at a local Nation Trust site where I was asked to provide £20M cover - I declined that one.