DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK). (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/521792-1-day-public-liability-insurance-uk.html)

Jordan Brindle February 21st, 2014 04:31 PM

1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
Hey guys,

I need public liability insurance for a wedding fair. Can anyone recommend somewhere quick and cheap to use? My business is picking up this year and i have weddings booked later this year but no need for full insurance yet.

Dave Partington February 21st, 2014 05:24 PM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
Talk to Towergate Camerasure. I have my equipment insurance and public liability through them.

OTOH, if your business is picking up, I assume that you're already out there doing stuff so you really need insurance already. As I recall the PL insurance wasn't really that much, maybe 60 or so for the entire year. you'll be likely spending more than that going to the wedding fair.

Roger Gunkel February 21st, 2014 07:21 PM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
If you are doing any filming commercially, you really should take out PL insurance. As Dave said, it is a minimal cost to protect yourself. Mine is with Fortis and costs me less than 50 pa. for 2m cover.


Christopher Young February 22nd, 2014 02:38 AM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
Standard out here now for PL insurance is usually AU$20 million worth of cover. You can't film in any public place, airport or venue now without it. Most of the large venues now ask for a PL certificate of currency before they will allow you in to set up. Most of them also ask for a fully completed OH&S statement plus insist that all your mains powered kit has been inspected, certified and tagged by authorised inspectors. Another recurring cost every twelve months.

If your electrical gear is not inspected and tagged that is an 'out' on the public liability cover if any sort of electrical problem is involved. Hear about the apocryphal story in Sydney where the cameraman had one of his Lowell lights too close to a sprinkler heat sensor. The sensor tripped and then triggered a whole convention room. About $230Ks worth of damage to venue, the attendees, their clothes and their laptops etc.

Not worth doing business without third party cover. All you need is someone's old grandmother to trip on a cable and then sue you up hill and down dale. Worse still injure a child with a red hot piece of lighting bubble on them. In the past I've had a number of Red Head and 2K bubbles blow and the only thing that stopped them from scattering burning hot glass everywhere were the scrims. L-o-v-e LEDs!

Chris Young
CYV Productions

Roger Gunkel February 22nd, 2014 03:32 AM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
2-5m cover would be the norm in the UK for a small wedding shooter, I can't imagine a situation where a videographer shooting a typical wedding in the UK is going to need 20m PL cover. A large commercial outfit flying equipment over crowds in a higher risk situation with a bigger crew will have a higher PL requirement.

Electrical PAT test certificate is another area that you may be asked about, however, you usually get asked by people who know nothing about it because they have been told to by others that know nothing about it. If you are only using battery powered equipment, you do not need a PAT test certificate in the UK, only for direct mains powered gear, lights, chargers etc. If like me, you are using battery powered cameras, lights, sound recorders etc, there is no requirement. If you are charging batteries, then the charging equipment will need to be certified.

Sometimes, junior managers just like to throw their weight around and it is useful to know when they are wrong in addition to complying with the legal requirements where necessary.


Danny O'Neill February 22nd, 2014 10:31 AM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
On the subject of Towergate.

We currently use them but recently found out that they will only insure upto 15k of gear in your car. They can do more at home and onsite. This is also a hard limit and you cannot go over it as their underwriters wont allow it. So worth being aware.

This came up last week when we sent them our inventory for a renewal and they said 30k in the car was too much.

We have since moved to Aaduki who can up the limit for a price.

I think for the new business which come in at under 15k in gear it was 350 a year for gear, liability and indemnity.

If you do plan to start doing this more and more then look into full gear coverage. It hasnt happend to us yet but we do know of people who have come acropper of the sticky finger brigade and lost gear. We almost lost an audio recorder once when a guest saw it on a table and thought "Oooo, ill have that". You can factor the cost into your prices.

Also, often your house insurance wont cover items used for business purposes. We could name items over a certain value on our home policy but if you used your home for business it instantly invalidated the entire policy. Both Towergate and Aaduki can do home insurance too which covers you.

Matt Brady February 22nd, 2014 12:24 PM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
I use Morgan Richardson, they have been good so far.

I had a claim for an old XL1s that fell into sea water on job. As they did not have a similar replacement camera in canon range at that time they gave me new for old and coughed up 5000.

So far am happy with their service.

Paul R Johnson February 22nd, 2014 12:36 PM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
Short term insurance is rarely economically viable - because they consider that if you believe you need it for one day, then what you are doing is 24 hours of risk, rather than just a a small number of hours high risk per year, so they may not even wish to cover you.

To be frank, if you do not have PLI, then it's a bit crazy. Also note that many councils require 10 million cover now from contractors, and most PLI cover has increased. I get mine through the union - BECTU.

H&S zealots usually are happy with the stickers, and rarely ask for certificates, as there's no requirement for any certification, just evidence of test to demonstrate a safe system is in place. Don't forget that there is no longer a re-test date required on a sticker either.

Nigel Barker February 23rd, 2014 03:38 AM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
You can buy 100 green PAT stickers on eBay for a few pounds to label your plugs & satisfy the H&S jobsworths.

Brian Drysdale February 23rd, 2014 05:46 AM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
A point to remember with the PAT (Portable Appliance Test) is that it's like an MOT, it only means that the gear was OK at the time it was tested, Also, you don't need it if the gear is new, although I expect that doesn't apply if you made up the mains connectors yourself (eg extension leads).

Jordan Brindle March 1st, 2014 06:30 AM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
Thanks everyone for your input.

I went with Dave Partington's first suggestion of getting PL through Towegate Camerasure... Where the hell did you get 60 from? Overall I'm paying 208 for the year just for PL, with assistant cover and 2m coverage.

Due to personal circumstances i literally had to get this at the last minute and had no time to shop around/research. I just had to buy it!

Danny O'Neill March 1st, 2014 01:39 PM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
I think it's 60 to add it onto one of their gear insurance policies.

Dave Partington March 1st, 2014 02:41 PM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).

Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill (Post 1834536)
I think it's 60 to add it onto one of their gear insurance policies.

True. Sorry if you felt mislead Jordan but I've never bought PL without also getting the other insurance I needed at the same time.

Danny O'Neill March 1st, 2014 05:00 PM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).
Our latest premium was 800 :) running a business is a bitch sometimes.

Dave Partington March 1st, 2014 05:55 PM

Re: 1 Day Public Liability insurance (UK).

Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill (Post 1834556)
Our latest premium was 800 :) running a business is a bitch sometimes.

Ours wasn't far off that too Danny. Yup, that and the accountants bill are two of the big ticket items that most beginners don't think about when pricing their videos.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network