Hey guys. Looking to spend $2000 on wedding/event video camera(s) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 8th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Hey guys. Looking to spend $2000 on wedding/event video camera(s)

Keep in mind that low light capability of the XA10s could be disappointing after working with your DSLRs. In sufficient the XA10s are ok. However when used alongside my GH2s in low light I found that matching them in post was difficult to impossible at times.

Often footage from the cams cut together well, but when it didn't it was really really difficult. I wouldn't want to have to go through it again if I could avoid it.
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I use Panasonic AC 90, Canon HFG30 and Panasonic GH3 for weddings. The AC90 and HFG30 are about the same in low light ... both great cameras for anything other than really dark venues ... but I love the GH3 more than either of them.
I have the 12-35 F2.8, 14-140, 14mm F2.5 and 20mm F1.7 lenses. I've also used the GH 3 as a static locked off camera at the back of concert halls with great success as their is no record limit. (In Australia)
As far as DSLR's go (I also have Nikon D610, D7100) the GH 3 kills them all for usability ... I love how you can use the viewfinder whilst recording video.
But if what you need most is a camcorder with all the controls at your fingertips with excellent images ... I'd go for the AC 90. Things to watch on the AC 90 ... you must use extra ND filter outside in bright sunshine. You must not rely on auto white balance .. especially inside. Otherwise , great camera for the price.
Richard Tatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #18
Wrangler

The FDR-AX100 is the best (non-DSLR) camera money can buy.

Old March 25th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #19
Inner Circle

It seems it does produce some nasty rolling shutter skew on pan movements though, in some cases, like shooting fast action sports this would be the wrong camera.

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tatti View Post
Things to watch on the AC 90 ... you must use extra ND filter outside in bright sunshine. You must not rely on auto white balance .. especially inside. Otherwise , great camera for the price.
That would apply for the gh3 as well, I often get too much yellow in in faces when shooting indoors so I do use a custom or preset whitebalance whenever possible and the GH3 also needs a ND filter outside. The main difference between a ac90 and the gh3 is that the ac90 is a better run and gun camera.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
It seems it does produce some nasty rolling shutter skew on pan movements though, in some cases, like shooting fast action sports this would be the wrong camera.
Ouch! That is some mean rolling shutter!
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Unless you fast pan or shoot fast moving trains, I'm not sure how much of a problem it will be under real shooting conditions... and most CMOS cameras will have the issue to some degree.

It always bugs me when someone "testing" a new toy posts a video to show "CAMERA HAS A PROBLEM!!?!?!?!" (that's usually how it's screamed on the internet), showing it looks bad in that one specific "bad camera op" or difficult shooting situation, but will be stunning for the other vast majority of real world uses...

I'd admit to being a little scared of a camera that is so much like "looking through a window" - meaning that things will be almost un-naturally sharp, BUT... the AX100 does look like about the best video camera for around $2K, it certainly should have some "future proofing" built in!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Unless you fast pan or shoot fast moving trains, I'm not sure how much of a problem it will be under real shooting conditions...
I agree, though coincidentally I just shot some commercial stuff that did have some fast moving people / vehicles and yes even trains in, so I'm a little bit sensitive to it now. They particularly wanted the side view of a train racing past and I'm stood there shaking my head wishing I had a global shutter camera again.

For weddings it really shouldn't be an issue.
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Hey doc, it hurts when I do this....

Doc: Well, don't DO that!!

Yep, I understand that when you run into a certain limitation, it's hard not to WANT it to not be there, and be more sensitive to it.... kinda like my aging eyes, knees and other parts! These new cameras outresolve my eyes, not sure I like THAT!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:17 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Chris- nice to see another local on here!
Max Palmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques