GH4 Wedding Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 24th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: GH4 Wedding Video

There will come a moment where it all will be 4K, but only because you have no other choice when you upgrade your camera's, it's just a next step in camera evolution, 1080p only camera's will slowly vanish, just like dv camera's did when the transition to hdv occured.

You even might compare the magnitude of change from sd to hdv with 1080p to 4K, as long as you stayed on dvd a hdvcamera was just a ilittle sharper then dv camera when viewed on a crt screen, often you hardly noticed any difference. But once viewed on the right screen and in the right format the difference was obvious.

On a dvd and a 1080p screen full HD and 4k will be difficult to tell apart, some 4k camera might be a bit sharper as opposed to 1080p camera's, but once you start viewing it on these massive screens it becomes much more obvious, the only question remains is, how long will it take before all people have 55+ inch 4K monitors in their living room?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #17
Major Player

A lot on here are talking about how it will match up, and what the need is for 4k for weddings. But surely most of you, like me, do the occasional corporate work. It would certainly be a good idea to up your quality for instances like that. Use the GH4 to shoot 1080 at weddings, and still have 4k as an option for certain eventualities.

It is only £1300 body only....
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:18 AM   #18
Major Player

Also, I found it interesting to note how big a 4k tv you need to buy to even see the difference at a distance of 2/3 meters

http://www.rtings.com/images/resolut...a-hd-chart.png

The shops certainly aren't going to tell consumers this!

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:22 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I have done a occasional corporate job the past years but gave up on it eventually and doing weddings only right now. I see 4K only really useful for high end corporate clients and for those you don't show up with gh4 but you hire a red camera and a crew.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #20
Major Player

And a lot of people sit too far away from their 1080p tellies. I have read elsewhere on DVInfo discussion about whether to use a DVD or BD as the delivery medium, with most people, in the UK at least still owning a DVD player rather than a BD player.

I wonder how many here own a 4K TV, 1000? 100? 10,000? I bet not a lot.

I do my own "strictly amateur" wildlife videos. 4K would be lovely, and £1250 a snip. But then a 4K monitor/TV and a 4K projector. Pricey!

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #21
Major Player

I want to watch a football match on a huge 80 inch screen in 4k from only one wide camera angle covering the whole pitch!

Now theres a use for 4k!
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
On a slightly different point, the ability to crop is a point I have heard being made for a long time now (it was one of the big selling points of HD vs SD at the early stages of that transition, some will well remember). And sure it can be useful but not very often in my opinion. When you get truely good at what you do you'll never need to crop in post. A slight scale up and slight rotation is all I ever need to do, and we can get away with scaling up to 105% no problem.
I just did two interviews today where having one camera instead of two would have been very welcome in a tight area. Sure I could have shot with just one camera and then re-shot the entire interview to get the different framing, but then I wouldn't be able to cut smoothly between them because the head & eyes would be in a different place, the sentence could have been different where I wanted to cut etc.

Re-framing is the real big one for me.

Just doing a 105% or a little rotation is Ok for some things (and yes I use that too), but I do miss the ability to reframe in post like we did a few years back, or I still do today when I know I'm only filming for DVD. The web has really made people expect full HD nowadays, so getting away with delivering even a reframed 720p is no longer viable for many corporate gigs.
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #23
Major Player

Fair enough Dave in your applied field it seems quite useful to have it.

(Sorry guys for any confusion, I accidentally replaced my last post with another point)
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #24
Trustee

Is this a discussion on the merits of the GH4 or 4K in general? If the latter, then I agree that 4K isn't an essential upgrade, far from it. Wait a little and Canon and Nikon will no doubt incorporate it now the doors been open so chances are a future upgrade will have it anyway. No one should buy the GH4 right now for 4K alone unless for petty bragging rights - commercial value is minimum to none in my opinion.

That said, as an owner of the GH3 and GH2, I'm interested in the GH4 for improvements beyond 4K, like focus peaking, low light and a flatter cine profile among other things. How much I shoot 4K will be down to the Wedding. If I'm being asked to provide stills from the video, then 4K has its place. For Marryokes, which are internet only I can see the benefits, either for future proofing or for resizing. There's also an idea floating about that you can convert 4:2:0 4K footage into 4:2:2 HD footage. How successful this is in reality, I don't know - I'm sceptical but intrigued by it. What I'm not in doubt is that I shall be giving the GH4 serious consideration when released.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Is this a discussion on the merits of the GH4 or 4K in general?
Same difference to me. Any of the other features wouldnt cause me to want to change cameras. I would of course upgrade from a GH3 but not from a 5dmk3, I dont think.
Its such an ordeal to change over Ill avoid it if I can at all.
Old March 24th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
Same difference to me. Any of the other features wouldnt cause me to want to change cameras. I would of course upgrade from a GH3 but not from a 5dmk3, I dont think.
Its such an ordeal to change over Ill avoid it if I can at all.
I agree; if I didn't have a GH3, I wouldn't go for the GH4 either. Besides Canon will join the 4K game soon enough. For me the GH4 isn't really about 4K, its just another feature I can use.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Also, I found it interesting to note how big a 4k tv you need to buy to even see the difference at a distance of 2/3 meters

I am not sure whether to be pleased or not to see that I am just on the cusp of seeing benefit from upgrading our current 60" TV that we watch from about 2m. To justify the upgrade I only need to move the settee nearer to the set although apart from home movies I cannot see any 4K viewing materials being available for many years.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I'm always a bit skeptical of charts and graphs that attempt to quantify what you can and can't see with your own eyes....

Whether the upgrade to 4K is evident to the "average Joe" or not is immaterial - if YOU can see the benefits in image quality, it might be worth it, depending on your pocketbook! I suspect that In 3-5 years, low rez screens of all sizes (from a 4" cell phone to a 1000" video wall) will be hard to find... Sure, there will probably be the equivalent of 720 "HD" screens, that meet a low end spec that "average Joe" can't tell the difference in, but generally people can see when a screen is "crisp" and easy on the eyes, and when it isn't...

I'm not thrilled that 4K is coming so quickly, and I think "HD" will be "fine" for most viewing purposes for a LONG, LONG time... but looking at the output from 4K cameras, even on 1080 screens, it's hard to ignore the image quality... and I don't think it's something you can "chart"!!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post

Soooo.... a 60" 4K TV at the end of the bed would make a difference then :)
Old March 25th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #30
Trustee

Not sure if you've all seen this elsewhere, but I'm adding it here for those who haven't...

Zacuto's First Look: The Panasonic GH4 | Zacuto USA

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques