DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Finding wedding filming boring? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/522858-finding-wedding-filming-boring.html)

Roger Gunkel May 5th, 2014 04:44 PM

Re: Finding wedding filming boring?

+1 Noa.

Roger

Chris DeVoe May 5th, 2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1844167)
Yeah, but concerts are each time on a stage, must become pretty boring, no? :)

Who said weddings are boring? The TS just had a bad day. Every wedding is different too, just like your concerts, the stage is the same but the players are different each time.

I suppose the difference is that I love music and find attending weddings tedious in the extreme.

Jeff Harper May 6th, 2014 12:03 PM

I don't know how one could do hundreds or even dozens of weddings and not come to see them as tedious, at least at times.

Ocassionally there is a couple/family that is exceptional and such a pleasure to be around that the day is actually fun, but those couples are relatively rare.

Noa Put May 6th, 2014 02:30 PM

If there is one thing I do find about weddings is that they can be stressful, but not tedious or boring, every single one of them is a challenge, even the ones that appear simple and easy will remind you to never loose focus and every-time I manage to get it all right I get a kick from it, only that doesn't happen too much :)

I still watch every wedding I edit from beginning till end, first of all to check for editing errors but especially to enjoy the film I worked on that hard and if it feels right and moves me, I know I did a good job. It doesn't always work out like I want and that can be very frustrating like I experienced just recently but I've learned to move on and try to do better next time.

Weddings are a large part of my life, once I start feeling bored, then it's time to find something else to do.

Roger Gunkel May 6th, 2014 05:11 PM

I just don't get the "Weddings are tedious and boring attitude". I've been filming weddings for 30 years and still enjoy them. I see them as an opportunity to document people's personal history, to capture real human emotion on a wonderful happy day in their lives. A chance to observe and film a huge range of characters and individuals from every walk of life and how they interact with each other. I film in churches and cathedrals that are centuries old and some of the finest venues in the region. I also film in village halls and garden marquees where families have all pulled together to make a special day for the couple. I film in freezing snow covered conditions, rainstorms and grindingly hot and dusty Summer days. I feel proud to be chosen and paid to capture these personal insights into people's private lives and emotions and although there are sometimes times when not much is happening, I never get bored with weddings.

Those that are unable to seize those oppprtunities and use their skills to craft something they can be proud of, should simply steer clear of wedding work and stick to something really interesting like corporate promotion or conferences!

Roger

Mathew Williams May 6th, 2014 06:15 PM

Very well said Roger! I've been reading this whole thread and just not relating to the downbeat tone from some at all. I love weddings - I love people watching, I love filming, I love technology, I love going to places new, I love that I occasionally get to go abroad to film a wedding (it's like a paid holiday doing what I love). I love all the pre-planning (like a military operation sometimes) and seeing how my plans work out. I love pushing myself with every wedding to make my work better and learning on every occasion. I also love how much it means to the couple when they see the film I've produced for them - all of it down to me! I could go on and on but I think you get the picture! I work as a cameraman on commercials, drama, corporates, concerts... but I genuinely get the most enjoyment from filming weddings - it's real, and I thrive off it!

I was trying to put it into words, and I think you summed it up very well Roger :)

Matt

James Manford May 7th, 2014 12:54 AM

What's there not to like ...

Yes it may not feel like a 9-5 job where you'll be going to a familiar place that you're used to. But surely that's the excitement of weddings/events ?

From personal experience i'm always a bit nervous when going to a place that i've never filmed before, but thanks to Google maps life has become easier. I do some background research prior to arriving at these places, see what it looks like via Streetview. And once i'm there and the camera is switched on. Bye bye nerves.

Can't ever go back to a 9-5 now that i'm used to filming events.

Steve Bleasdale May 7th, 2014 03:30 AM

Very good topic, with good points! i started it so i will finish it.
I probably had a bad day like some of us do occasionally starting the topic BUT I think i need to train everyone on the wedding day not to do it like this?
Last two weeks i did three weddings, all the same internet speeches, all the same decor, roughly the same dresses, the same bad music from DGs that do not give a monkeys and who constantly ruin my glide-cam shots by insisting on the smallest circle around the first dance after prepping him, the same drunken idiots, the same chocolate fountain and warm champagne fountain that breaks down, the same people in the isle shot with their phones blocking everything in site, the same christian clergy who insist on disrupting everything you try to do, the same photographer who needs to retire.
The same kid who tried to knock my expensive camera over in church and during speeches, the same drunken girl who fell into my assistant ruining a speech second angle shot.
I can carry on but yes i get on with it because i love weddings......
Its not that its boring i will rephrase it to same old same old same old, so this week i am going into action, i am going to re-educate all my brides for next year. Yeeee....