DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Finding wedding filming boring? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/522858-finding-wedding-filming-boring.html)

Chris Harding April 21st, 2014 05:51 PM

Re: Finding wedding filming boring?

Right on Arthur!

I had a photog who was constantly in all my shots taking about 110 shots a minute and effectively putting on a show for the video and the guests. He did admit that he didn't usually do weddings and this was his second last one (good choice mate!!)

There was no way on earth I could use cutaways to cover him in my shots so I simply left him in. Hopefully the bride will notice that he was more of the star than she was!!

Chris

Roger Gunkel April 22nd, 2014 04:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to return to photographers getting in your shot. I was filming a wedding on Good Friday and working with a young female photographer who had been shooting weddings for a couple of years. We got on really well and worked well together, but during the civil ceremony I had one very cramped fixed position for the main camera. The photographer decided to shoot from the stairs and gallery, from the same two positions throughout. Although I can use video from my own gallery camera and my GoPro, all the face on shots have the photographer in shot. She must also have me in all of hers, although I would have thought that she could have moved slightly to avoid it.

Was I worried? Not in the least! That was how it was on the day, beyond my control and something that the B&G are unlikely to be bothered about. Rather than fall out with the tog, we had a good day, I suggested some poses that she loved and leant her an led light for some of her shots. If we work together again, we will be pleased to see each other which will make the day easier.

Roger

Roger Gunkel April 22nd, 2014 04:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was trying to add two pics from the video, here is the other.

Roger

Steve Bleasdale April 22nd, 2014 05:09 AM

Worked with the same girl Roger, she was good with me also, just a few now and again in the way but overall good...

Arthur Gannis April 22nd, 2014 07:12 AM

It looks like you were in her frame too. She,if possible, should have been in the same area as you were, this way neither of you would have been in each other's frame. Perhaps to the left of the officiant. And stay put.

Jeff Dinges April 26th, 2014 10:32 PM

Not all Liverpool residents are crackers! You need to get into the southasian market! The work ain't easy but the pay is 2-3X more than cracker weddings!

Steve Bleasdale April 27th, 2014 10:16 AM

Nice one Jeff hope your well mate!!

Roger Gunkel April 28th, 2014 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis (Post 1842508)
It looks like you were in her frame too. She,if possible, should have been in the same area as you were, this way neither of you would have been in each other's frame. Perhaps to the left of the officiant. And stay put.

Yes I would have been in all her shots from there, but I was jammed in a 30" gap behind a pillar and couldn't move at all, whereas there was a gallery all the way round and an identical staircase the other side from which I would have been totally invisible. She was happy though and it didn't bother me, but it would have been very easy to not have that situation.

Roger

Chris DeVoe May 5th, 2014 04:06 PM

This is why I don't do weddings. I do concerts, and every performance is different.

Noa Put May 5th, 2014 04:13 PM

Yeah, but concerts are each time on a stage, must become pretty boring, no? :)

Who said weddings are boring? The TS just had a bad day. Every wedding is different too, just like your concerts, the stage is the same but the players are different each time.

Roger Gunkel May 5th, 2014 04:44 PM

+1 Noa.

Roger

Chris DeVoe May 5th, 2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1844167)
Yeah, but concerts are each time on a stage, must become pretty boring, no? :)

Who said weddings are boring? The TS just had a bad day. Every wedding is different too, just like your concerts, the stage is the same but the players are different each time.

I suppose the difference is that I love music and find attending weddings tedious in the extreme.

Jeff Harper May 6th, 2014 12:03 PM

I don't know how one could do hundreds or even dozens of weddings and not come to see them as tedious, at least at times.

Ocassionally there is a couple/family that is exceptional and such a pleasure to be around that the day is actually fun, but those couples are relatively rare.

Noa Put May 6th, 2014 02:30 PM

If there is one thing I do find about weddings is that they can be stressful, but not tedious or boring, every single one of them is a challenge, even the ones that appear simple and easy will remind you to never loose focus and every-time I manage to get it all right I get a kick from it, only that doesn't happen too much :)

I still watch every wedding I edit from beginning till end, first of all to check for editing errors but especially to enjoy the film I worked on that hard and if it feels right and moves me, I know I did a good job. It doesn't always work out like I want and that can be very frustrating like I experienced just recently but I've learned to move on and try to do better next time.

Weddings are a large part of my life, once I start feeling bored, then it's time to find something else to do.

Roger Gunkel May 6th, 2014 05:11 PM

I just don't get the "Weddings are tedious and boring attitude". I've been filming weddings for 30 years and still enjoy them. I see them as an opportunity to document people's personal history, to capture real human emotion on a wonderful happy day in their lives. A chance to observe and film a huge range of characters and individuals from every walk of life and how they interact with each other. I film in churches and cathedrals that are centuries old and some of the finest venues in the region. I also film in village halls and garden marquees where families have all pulled together to make a special day for the couple. I film in freezing snow covered conditions, rainstorms and grindingly hot and dusty Summer days. I feel proud to be chosen and paid to capture these personal insights into people's private lives and emotions and although there are sometimes times when not much is happening, I never get bored with weddings.

Those that are unable to seize those oppprtunities and use their skills to craft something they can be proud of, should simply steer clear of wedding work and stick to something really interesting like corporate promotion or conferences!

Roger