DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Missing file length (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/523040-missing-file-length.html)

Matt Brady April 30th, 2014 12:05 PM

Missing file length

I have a avchd clip from a ceremony. The clip plays in media player at 12 min long. When I import to premier it is half this length. The clip was corrupted on the card and I had to rescue it from the card. Any ideas to get this into premier and see the whole clip?

Steve Bleasdale April 30th, 2014 12:46 PM

Re: Missing file length

Matty try
create a new sequence by hitting "sequence" from the top bar of premiere, and click "sequence settings". From there you will see a huge list of various file formats for the sequence to work with. Simply click on the AVCHD option and then your specifics of your footage from the options i.e. 720 or 1080p. Drop folder in timeline.

Try also!
go to where your media is stored and delete all the xmp files and the reopen file in timeline making prem re-write them all.

Matt Brady April 30th, 2014 01:07 PM

Cheers Steve, I have tried that angle prior to posting.

The problem is something to do with the camera not putting an end on the AVCHD file.
The card rescue program I ran has put a end on the footage but in the middle! Now the footage will play in a media player for the full clip (30 min) but only reads the duration as 12 min.

When I import it into premier it is only 12 min in duration. I need a solution that puts the tail of the file at the right point.

I am currently trying to recode the AVCHD file into a different file type. Hopefully this will help.

Am open to ideas if anyone else had had a similar problem.

Steve Bleasdale April 30th, 2014 01:30 PM

Mmm this happened to me last year but cant remember what happened, will think...

Steve Bleasdale April 30th, 2014 01:32 PM

I read the other day somewhere on here that certain cameras where doing the same. scroll through and see if ya can find it.

Dave Partington April 30th, 2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Brady (Post 1843553)
The card rescue program I ran has put a end on the footage but in the middle! Now the footage will play in a media player for the full clip (30 min) but only reads the duration as 12 min.

When I import it into premier it is only 12 min in duration. I need a solution that puts the tail of the file at the right point.

OK - silly questions time :)

1) Mac or Windows?

2) Can you export a new clip from your media player?

3) Do you have any other utilities that can read the file (something like MPEGStreamclip or ClipWrap) that can then export a new file that Premiere Pro can read.

Once you can get the entire clip in to Premiere Pro it should be easy to edit the position of the bits and make a new file again with it all in the right order.... no?

Matt Brady April 30th, 2014 01:56 PM

Windows.

The media players crashed or stopped converting the media when they hit the 12min mark, that's where the first tail has been put.

I am currently running a video converter tool called WinX HD video converter.

It sees the files as a 12 min clip. But has continued converting the footage even when it has hit its 100% (12 min) status marker. The destination file is currently still getting bigger, so hopefully this will do the trick.

I will report back on the progress.

Matt Brady April 30th, 2014 11:27 PM

Success!! The conversion process brought all the footage back. Crises over.

I was beginning to panic a little. I would of lost of the ceremony from cam 1.

Thanks Steve, and Dave for the suggestions.

Steve Bleasdale May 1st, 2014 08:02 AM

Glad you got it sorted its not nice when footage goes adrift, how did you do it?

Matt Brady May 2nd, 2014 02:15 AM

I made a few mistakes when trying to resolve this problem.

I allowed windows to fix the card, that was my first mistake. My second mistake is that I never used the Panasonic avchd recue tool. These 2 mistakes made it a lot harder for me to get the footage back.

Here is what I should of done: The problem was caused by the camera powering down when it was in record. It never put an end onto the avchd file.

When the footage would not copy over from the card I should of ran the Panasonic restore tool. This would of put the end onto the file and all would of been plain sailing from there.

As I did not do that, I ended up with a file that was not being seen correctly by the non linear editor. I used a stand alone file conversion programme to convert the avchd file into a avi file. The avi file then showed full duration of the clip and could be imported.

Moral of the story is don't let windows fix the card error.

Steve Bleasdale May 2nd, 2014 03:10 AM

Nice one matty good luck for the season..