DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Issue with Zoom H2N peaking out :( (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/523065-issue-zoom-h2n-peaking-out.html)

Diana Fisk May 2nd, 2014 01:28 AM

Issue with Zoom H2N peaking out :(

Hi Everyone

For weddings I use lapel microphones for the ceremony and most often then not connect my Zoom H2N to PA systems or sounds desks for the reception and even the ceremony as a bonus.

Lately, I have been having a real problem with my H2N peaking out when set on minimum gain. The sound coming from the source is fine but through my H2N it is struggling. I have read that this is a common problem. Does anyone have a solution or a good alternative that is similar in price that wouldn't struggle in these situations?

As I normally leave the Zoom and don't listen to the speeches live I would prefer to be softer rather than louder if I can.

Many Thanks
Diana

Matt Brady May 2nd, 2014 02:08 AM

Re: Issue with Zoom H2N peaking out :(

I use a attenuator to drop the line level signal coming from the desk down to mic level.

This will get the audio under control.

Here is one XLR (CANNON) INLINE 15dB ATTENUATOR 600 OHM IMPEDANCE | eBay

Adrian Tan May 2nd, 2014 02:29 AM

Hey Diana, Matt's tip is good -- those things are cheap, and it's worth carrying one in your sound bag just in case.

Some other ideas:

-- Ask the DJ beforehand to do a sound check at speeches level. I mean, that's the main part you're interested in, right? If it peaks for the music, you can probably replace it later on, depending on how you do your editing.
-- In terms of other devices... You really need something with two channels. Not sure if the Zoom H2N has the ability or not; never used it. Once you have two channels, you could record one channel a little low in case of peaking, either with an XLR splitter, or two separate cables (if the DJ has a left/right output he/she can give you), or sometimes internally (on something like the Zoom H6 or the upcoming Juicedlink Little DARling -- these devices have the option to record a separate track at a lower volume).
-- Another option is to use a separate device entirely. The famous Don Bloom drum mic pointed at soundspeakers is the obvious choice. Or the Noa Put/Nigel Barker Yamaha C24 taped to MC's microphone. Or a Chris Harding boundary mic. Or some sort of omni mic (I'm going to experiment with the 3D Mitra mic). Or putting a lavaliere on each speaker, is what Ray Roman does (and maybe running the receiver into your camera so that you can adjust the levels to taste).

Diana Fisk May 3rd, 2014 05:35 AM

Awesome - it's good to have options!

I actually have the Seinheiser EW 112-P and am wondering if I might be best using the receiver with the transmitter connected to the mixing desk (if this is even possible). That way I would have control over the levels live and also would mean no need to invest in extra equipment. I am just unsure if I have everything I need or whether I would need to get something further as I have only ever used this with lapel mics.

Adrian Tan May 3rd, 2014 06:37 AM

Hi Diana, it's definitely possible. But in terms of what you'd need... Well, the main things would be all the various connections. So, some cable to connect your transmitter to the mixer and then the receiver to your camera, if that's the sort of setup you were thinking.