DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What do you use to carry your bits and bobs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/523276-what-do-you-use-carry-your-bits-bobs.html)

Peter Rush May 15th, 2014 09:35 AM

What do you use to carry your bits and bobs?

I'm pretty bad for stuffing things into my pockets (multiple lens caps/batteries/audio recorders etc) when I'm trying to pack up in a hurry - get from A-B etc etc. I'm thinking of getting a tog's belt and some pouches - Lowepro do one with a bit of lumbar support - can't harm :)

What do you folks use or do you suffer from bulging pockets?

Pete

Dave Partington May 15th, 2014 10:19 AM

Re: What do you use to carry your bits and bobs?

When we shot with all DSLRs (wow, that seems such a long time ago now) we used a LowePro belt and harness with all the pouches around the belt. It worked well and people knew you meant business. The big problem is it's almost impossible to wear with a suit if you need to look smart.

Peter Rush May 15th, 2014 10:26 AM

I don't wear a suit any more Dave - smart black long sleeved top and black pants - I find that within half an hour of getting to a church I've got mucky knees and shoes - looks far worse if I'm wearing a suit - plus I feel too trussed up to do my job properly - As a solo shooter I find a wedding like a full day work out - impossible to do in a suit!

I tried a man-bag for a while but kept forgetting to pick it up so ended up again stuffing bits and bobs in my pockets!

Pete

Dave Partington May 15th, 2014 10:31 AM

Hmm... that reminded me, we still have those belts and harnesses - I need to get them on to ebay! Thanks!

Peter Riding May 15th, 2014 10:52 AM

I have both the Lowepro and the Think Tank belt systems.

I reckon the Think Tank Skin system is far more suitable for weddings because the various pouches are unpadded. The Lowepro is altogether bulkier and SWAT-like. TT seem to be quicker to attach and detach from a belt as well.

The relevant Think Tank belt is the Pro Speed Belt:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Tank-S.../dp/B0032BH46M

Pretty soon you need a harness as well if you carry heavy stuff, which is the Pixel Racing Harness v2.0:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Tank-P.../dp/B002TK2D04

However I routinely just wear a couple of TT pouches on my trouser belt, including the TT Skin 75 Pop Down which has a 70-200 f2.L IS or other stuff in it depending on the time of day:
Think Tank Skin 75 Pop Down v20 - Waist Bags/Belt Systems

and a smaller one.

You don't have to wear the belt on your waist of course. You can just shoulder it and dump it like you would a bag.

The TT pouches can be slipped through the thick loops on the outside of LowePro bags with a bit of force giving you a much larger capacity bag on one strap.

The TT "pop down" system works great. The idea is that you can increase the bags capacity by releasing a zip giving it more height when needed.

But for just carrying the kit you need rather than your entire kit quickly into a venue then breaking it down and chucking into a bag then into the car I have a couple of TT Skin Body Bags:
Think Tank Skin Body Bag - Waist Bags/Belt Systems

These work great as they can have a huge capacity but are not at all bulky. I combine them with OpTech camera straps with loop connectors:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can chuck loads of b-cams, audio recorders, clamps, Sennheiser Radio bits, etc straight in. Use a bit of bubble wrap if you're feeling motherly towards your kit :- ) Hang them from a convenient tripod when you're working. These really do make setting up and breaking down a doddle and are one of my key secrets of how I'm able to shoot stills and video without breaking into a sweat :- )

Pete

Peter Rush May 15th, 2014 10:56 AM

Cheers Peter - Comprehensive answer as always - I did look at the Think Tank as a cheaper alternative - seems just the job!

Pete

Brian David Melnyk May 15th, 2014 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Custom made geek belt and harness, for photos and video!

Malcolm Debono May 15th, 2014 04:03 PM

Tried a belt system but didn't really like it (not so comfortable when bending etc.). Went for a Retrospective Lens Changer 3 and never looked back! Comfortable, takes a bunch of stuff and looks smart in black.

It has 3 lens compartments, a small front pouch and a large back compartment (zipped). The lens compartments allow me to carry a variety of lenses ranging from UWA to tele. Back when I was still using the 6D as main cam I used to carry an extra card and battery in the back (using a C100 now so no longer an issue). I tend to keep a bunch of other stuff in it as well depending on what time of the day it is, for example carry a gopro to find a good spot for timelapses or carry the groom's wireless lav before the ceremony till he arrives.

Steve Bleasdale May 15th, 2014 05:00 PM

I just use two bum bags £7.99 each. One sits on the right the other on the left of the waist. Sorted and comfy.
The straps both cross over in the middle and all snug and lots of room. 6 batteries, three zooms, two recorders, 6 cards, four aa batteries four aaa batteries. Also if I am on my monopod I can ram the stick in one of the bum bags for steadiness

Chris Harding May 15th, 2014 05:53 PM

Hey Brian

I have a similar DSLR harness and the belt rigged at the bottom is rather clever I think. I should try that as when I'm shooting combined video and stills the dual DSLR harness does slip around a lot!! Otherwise I rarely have bibs and bobs with me. I use two Pelican type cases with foam inserts and one is for audio and one for batteries.

Chris

Brian David Melnyk May 16th, 2014 02:42 AM

I found the seat-belt material straps, snap connectors, and replacement backpack harness at MEC in Canada all for just over $20. Much better than the super expensive harnesses sold specifically for photography, quick to detach to just use the belt alone, and a little bit of custom sewing can be meditative...
I also made custom straps that attach to the camera base with a 1/4 bolt and then clip onto the harness, so I can comfortably walk around hanging two cameras with 70-200 and 24-105 and never miss a shot (theoretically...).
It worked so well that I got addicted to sewing, customizing my bags with straps and loops and Velcro, and sewing belt loops onto flash pouches and whatnot. Great for long renders...

Rob Cantwell May 16th, 2014 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk (Post 1845299)
Custom made geek belt and harness..........

looks like a black version of CEFO that I often had to wear in my former job
:-)

Peter Riding May 16th, 2014 07:48 AM

I reckon that for wedding purposes its important that the kit looks as little like CEFO as possible. You will get uncomplimentary comments. Thats one reason I often wear a couple of pouches directly on my trouser belt rather than on the purpose-made belt. The TT kit is low profile compared to Lowepro and makes it much easier to move freely through crowded rooms.

CEFO is of course designed to stay where its supposed to be in even the most extreme conditions (army webbing kits for the uninitiated) but these belt kits are good for making quick changes. Yes I know your comment is in jest :- )

Why bother improvising your own though chaps? Only £30 for a proper TT belt and £33 for a harness if you feel that you may need one. The TT harness is a lot less bulky than the Lowepro one by the way. If I use a harness I don't usually bother doing up the TT belt. Its a bit like wearing a backpack without a sweaty back :- )

But the clear winner for me is one or more of the TT Skin Body Bags I linked to with suitable shoulder straps added. I have one permanently on my main bag and another two loose for quick use. I'll be using them extensively at tomorrows wedding which has a Hindu ceremony at one location, then a Catholic service at another location, then a reception at another location - lots of setting up and breaking down with little time to do it. Yep its one of the 15+ hour 6am start Asian ones :- )

Pete

Steven Digges May 21st, 2014 12:53 PM

I am a bit of a freak when it comes to bags, cases, straps, belts and everything else gear can go in. I say that because I have so much of it. I find no one size fits every job so I have enough to adapt. Great thread, lots of good info here already. So I will add just a bit.

I have the Lowe harness & belt system with lots of pouches. When you need it you need it. But that means serious run & gun like auto racing or other event coverage. I find I don't use it unless the job requires it. If I have to run around in the field well equipped it goes.

Portabrace video vest. In black, not blue, so it works with "show blacks". I hesitated before going this route. My ego was afraid I would look like Uncle Bob on vacation. I got over that. It is functional, it works. I would however have much input for Portabrace on some design improvements.

Tiered response:

Cargo pants, whenever I can. Sharp black ones for business casual. Tan and whatever else fits the job, I am NEVER less than professionally attired on a job.

I love backpacks. I have several. From computer packs with all the job essentials to monsters that would carry a small child, I have them. One of them is always with me.

Then it goes to the vest.

Then harness and belt pouches.

Then vest and harness. Pain in the ***. Like someone said, everyone knows you mean business, they don't even check your credential. They just open the door for you and laugh or pity you!

Next comes assistant to wear vest and harness and belt pouches. Does not happen often so you can pity me ;)

Steve

Steven Davis May 21st, 2014 01:27 PM

I wear black cargo pants, multiple pockets.