Do you charge for rehearsals? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 21st, 2014, 10:00 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Do you charge for rehearsals?

If we were to attend then yes, we would charge or if its something you like to do then factor it into your prices.

That said we don't attend rehearsals and talk brides out of it if they want it filmed (just can't think where we would use it in the edit).

Never had a problem on the day, we know how churches work and what they like to hear "Can I go here? We don't move? Thanks, Bye!".

The only time we've been given strict rules were at Sandhurst and King College in Cambridge.

How far away are your weddings though? Ours are often a good hour or two drive so we don't fancy driving for 4 hours just to be told the rules which will most likely be the same as the church we were in the week before.

You don't get a rehearsal for the rest of the day and thats more likely to go off plan than a church. There pretty standard affairs.
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Even if you don't want to sometimes attendance can solve a myriad of problems. For example I have a Croation Catholic wedding on Saturday and depending on what type it is they are vastly different and the groom isn't yet sure whether it's a conventional one or the old fashioned one where the couple come into the Church and do a ring exchange at the door and then have their backs to the guests during the ceremony...same religion but vastly different where one would have conventional camera placement and the other needs cameras behind the altar like Greek weddings ...the groom has no idea ( I dunno, I haven't been married before is the best I can get out of him) so for this one it will pay me to attend the rehearsal so at least I will know what format will be in place. I have done plenty of both so no major issues but for setup I really need to know "which way around" they will be.

If it involves travelling however I won't drive for an hour just to attend a rehearsal!! I'm sure one could also pop into the Church maybe on the way to bridal prep too??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:33 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Well I'm glad I went last night as I was told in no uncertain terms 'no equipment past the altar steps' bearing in mind the couple are spending a third of the ceremony at the high alter, which will only be captured by my camera at the very back of the church (so they will be very small and dark in the frame) I asked very politely if I could put a small handycam that no one will see (showed her my CX730) in the choir stalls to film the high alter I was told again 'NO'

At least I'm now prepared for somewhat limited coverage and it gave me an opportunity to explain this to the couple.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:02 AM   #19
Major Player

To answer the main title question...yes I would charge.

Last edited by John De Rienzo; May 23rd, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 03:19 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Well I'm glad I went last night as I was told in no uncertain terms 'no equipment past the altar steps' bearing in mind the couple are spending a third of the ceremony at the high alter, which will only be captured by my camera at the very back of the church (so they will be very small and dark in the frame) I asked very politely if I could put a small handycam that no one will see (showed her my CX730) in the choir stalls to film the high alter I was told again 'NO'

At least I'm now prepared for somewhat limited coverage and it gave me an opportunity to explain this to the couple.

Pete
I'm thinking we may have to resort to Hidden Camera Pen | Pen Spy Camera or something.

I attended a rehearsal where the minister wasn't going to be there. So I helped coordinate the choreography, And that was one of the complements we got from our bride and groom.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:52 AM   #21
Major Player

I have it on my contract that i will attend, but it's not an extra charge.

I would always attend where the couple are having a rehearsal, I also try and pay a visit to the brides house a day or so before hand this is where i'll get her to arrange her dress and accessories for filming, so that and attending the rehearsal afford us to get to know them and the family and I think it always makes for a better experience for everyone, last night my partner sat down with the extended family after the rehearsal and had coffee etc. we stayed about an hour or so.

It's good to minimise the surprises, the unexpected!
We had one where the couple were supposed to be facing the priest, but on the day decided to face the congregation instead, there was some readjustment on my part required, lucky i was allowed to move around :-)

In the past, i've had the dilemma of catching the bride leaving the house then making a mad dash to the church to set up. I don't do that any more, way too much hassle.

The one i have tomorrow, they live beside the church - happy days!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:58 AM   #22
Inner Circle

"Catching the bride leaving the house then making a mad dash to the church to set up" Rob that must take superhuman effort - way too stressful for me! If I do bride prep my other half turns up for the last hour while I get off to the church - I've taught her the technical basics and the CX730 is very forgiving and has great stabilisation so I usually end up with some good footage

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I have it on my packages as an additional option and it also covers the little party they do, but I haven't actually filmed one, YET.
Old June 8th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #24
Major Player

If they want it added as a filmed segment , then yes.

Sometimes I show up to get an idea of what's going on, but if it's a venue I've filmed at before, I usually don't go to Rehearsals unless I need to clear up some last minute questions of my own.
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #25
Inner Circle

People here also need to realise that a rehearsal in the USA also might include a dinner and is an event in itself so that can be a chargeable attendance!!

Over here (and maybe in the UK too) our rehearsals start at around 6pm at the Church and are simply a quick run-thru of where people are standing and where people are walking and it's all over in 30 mins and only the bridal party and priest are involved so it's not nearly a event like some USA rehearsal dinners are which might need to be filmed!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques