DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Alternatives to the 5D3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/523473-alternatives-5d3.html)

Peter Rush May 29th, 2014 03:14 AM

Alternatives to the 5D3

Hi All - I use my 5D3 (mainly with 24-70mm f2.8 lens) purely for evening receptions as I can avoid using an on-camera light which I hate. I do have problems however with keeping a moving target in focus and I don't like the lack of 50p as I like to slow down some of the dancing footage. It's mainly the lack of focusing aids that causes me problems - focus peaking and a ability to zoom on the sensor while filming would be ideal - I take it so for granted with my EA50.

So I'm thinking of trading it in for another DSLR but one that has good focus peaking and 50p - as I've already an investment in good Canon glass (which I can still use with my EA50 anyway) so a camera that can be adapted via an adapter to use my EF lenses would be a bonus but I may be asking too much there. Also it needs to be good in low light - the 5D is awesome so I need something that can come close.

Any suggestions?

Danny O'Neill May 29th, 2014 03:49 AM

Re: Alternatives to the 5D3

No peaking but it does 50p is the Canon 6D. Same sensor, same processor but sharper as it lacks the moire filter of the 5d3. Same great low light capability. Full frame and takes cheap sd cards.

Clive McLaughlin May 29th, 2014 04:52 AM

Sony A7S will blow 5D3 out of the water come July!

Peter Rush May 29th, 2014 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill (Post 1846987)
No peaking but it does 50p is the Canon 6D. Same sensor, same processor but sharper as it lacks the moire filter of the 5d3. Same great low light capability. Full frame and takes cheap sd cards.

Lacking of any focusing aids is my main concern Danny - I did buy a smallHD 5" monitor that had peaking and worked great but made for a big unwieldy rig - lack of a swivel LCD on the 5D doesn't help either

Pete

Les Wilson May 29th, 2014 05:45 AM

This is the problem with doing video using a DSLR since time immemorial (or at least since DSLRs got video) of stills camera designers making a video camera. They are unwilling/unable to provide proper video ergonomics of swivel LCD, focus & exposure aides and hand grip. Canon knows better. You can snap a photo without really seeing because the camera can do a proper job of focusing and exposing. Not so with video but the ergonomics of DSLR video are totally based on your ability to see the screen on the body or frankenstein rig and judge focus and exposure. Edelkrone has a cage that puts your DSLR/Monitor in classic camcorder hand forward/shoulder mount positions.

Few DSLR cameras have peaking. Take a look at the Canon C300 and 70D. Not sure you'd like the C100. None are full frame sensors. The Sony F3 is a great deal on eBay for proper camcorder ergonomics but large sensor.

Robert Benda May 29th, 2014 05:56 AM

Magic Lantern has a zebra stripe overlay to show you what is in and out of focus. You could try that. Or its magic zoom feature, which will really let you see show sharp you are.

Mostly, I just practiced my manual focusing in lower light (3 and 5 year old running around) on a 50mm.

Peter Rush May 29th, 2014 06:00 AM

The Sony NEX-7 has great focus peaking - as good as any traditional camcorder

Will the A7S?

Pete

Chris Harding May 29th, 2014 07:17 AM

Hey Pete

I'm using my EA-50 at receptions now without any lighting (except for the first dance when they virtually dance in the dark) with a Sigma 18-35 F1.8 constant zoom and it does a really good job too. As you know the focus peaking on the Sony is excellent and I have no issue on focus ...Even though you are at F1.8 all the time, at 18mm you still have a decent amount of DOF to work with.

I have to use the support rod on it as the lens is nearly 1kg up front so your arms get pretty tired without support.

Works well for me !

Chris

Arthur Gannis May 29th, 2014 07:56 AM

The Sony A7s with the CZ 24-70, remote zoom rec/pause on the grip, shoulder bracket and 50K asa should be the killer combination.

Danny O'Neill May 29th, 2014 02:21 PM

I think its important to let us know what budget you are looking at when asking about new cameras.

One which ticks all your boxes would be the C100. It really is an amazing camera, has all the features and accepts EF lenses... Wait, not all boxes, no 50p. There is a 50i workaround. But we've learnt to live without it.

Adrian Tan May 29th, 2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1846984)
Hi All - I use my 5D3 (mainly with 24-70mm f2.8 lens) purely for evening receptions as I can avoid using an on-camera light which I hate. I do have problems however with keeping a moving target in focus and I don't like the lack of 50p as I like to slow down some of the dancing footage. It's mainly the lack of focusing aids that causes me problems - focus peaking and a ability to zoom on the sensor while filming would be ideal - I take it so for granted with my EA50.

Hey Peter, for slow mo I just use the 720p50 on my 5D3s rather than shoot 1080. But I suppose you're also worried that the higher shutter speed makes the image even darker? Well, how do you feel about off camera lights on stands or using a fast but wide lens -- 24 or 35, or maybe even 14?

Re focusing and focusing aids, have you tried a loupe like the Z-finder, or a monitor like the Zacuto EVF?

Chris Harding May 29th, 2014 06:59 PM

Hi Danny

I was under the impression that cameras with no 50P are simply just avoided by most wedding shooters? It has never worried me of course and I still shoot in 50i and drop onto a 25P timeline and have no issues.

As I often get questioned about using 50i, what format do you use on the C100 and was there any specific reason why Canon omitted the 50P mode??

Chris

Gabe Strong May 29th, 2014 11:26 PM

Let's see here:

You need good low light, 50p for slow motion, peaking focus aid, focus punch in,
and can use Canon EF glass. Sounds like a FS100 would fit all those criteria.

Peter Rush May 30th, 2014 01:29 AM

My budget is £2K - £3K but as I'm nearly halfway through the season already it might be a purchase for next season.

Adrian when I'm filming on the dancefloor I have a couple of off camera LED lights that I have on for the first dance and then leave on to get people dancing - I'm also happy to have a light on my camera as really I'm just another light among the DJ's lights so do one really notices - It's for filming around the dance floor where I don't want a light, people sat around tables/waiting at the bar/chatting in small groups etc - I like to film all this but not cast a spotlight over them. Some receptions over here are really dark - when the dancing starts the lights all but go off - The 5D is awesome but lack of focus aids makes it hard for me - by the nature of the lighting I'm filming wide open so DOF is shallow making it more important to keep things in focus. The smallHD monitor was great to use as it had really good peaking but made for a bigger and heavier rig than I'd like. I like to wander around being fairly inconspicuous - not looking like robocop!

Pete

Danny O'Neill May 30th, 2014 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1847127)
Hi Danny

I was under the impression that cameras with no 50P are simply just avoided by most wedding shooters? It has never worried me of course and I still shoot in 50i and drop onto a 25P timeline and have no issues.

As I often get questioned about using 50i, what format do you use on the C100 and was there any specific reason why Canon omitted the 50P mode??

Chris

Its rare we used 50p, maybe for the occasional confetti shot. Still have a 6D for that if we need it.

On the C100 we use the PF25 mode which is 25p encased in a 50i wrapper. Sounds like a mess but its fine, honestly.