Weddings: I would like to get your take on specific lenses for specific shots.... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 5th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Weddings: I would like to get your take on specific lenses for specific shots....

I think Kren mentioned something around 10 different lenses used throughout a shoot, you'd have to put a sticker with lenstype on each camerabody to know which lens is on :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Re: Weddings: I would like to get your take on specific lenses for specific shots....

I can definitely see someone who uses that many lenses to switch lenses shoot and then realize after they had the wrong lens on :)
Sean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #33
Inner Circle

I had this once with my sony nex-ea50 last year, I had a samyang 24mm f1.4 on as there was a series of acts at a wedding in a dark venue that I shot from a tripod, then suddenly the groom had a surprise act (which he didn't seem to find important to inform me about) and he performed a dance act, it was too late to switch lenses, my steadicam with a wide lens was on the other side of the venue and I was forced to shoot the whole thing up close having constant focussing issues and not being able to show everything. Now I have a backup camera with a wide lens on me all the time if I"m shooting with my 75mm prime. I got a b-grip camera belt camera holder specifically for that reason, my sony rx10 is now permanently attached to my side ready to be used when I need it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I splurged on the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS1 for $1500. So im gonna be working with that, 35mm 1.4, and 18-135mm and a10-20mm f/4. I think im all set.
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #35
Trustee

Definitely set. Your wallet might be hurting now, but if you take care of that lens you can use it forever. In terms of full frame, you could shoot an entire wedding on 35 and 70-200 and nothing else and get fantastic results.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post
I splurged on the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS1 for $1500. So im gonna be working with that, 35mm 1.4, and 18-135mm and a10-20mm f/4. I think im all set.
70-200 f/2.8 - That's the lens I use mainly for speeches but only in larger venues as 70mm not wide enough for unexpected walk arounds by speakers - for smaller venues I use 24-105mm which with my metabones speedbooster (I'm on a APS sensor) I get down to f/2.8 - nice
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Fortunately I have 8 months of 0% APR so I wont be feeling the hurt too much., The real hurt is these dang airfare prices. I feel like airfare prices are generally $50 more than a year ago.
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #38
Major Player

One of the reasons I've never gone down the DSLR route for wedding videos is due to the unknowns of what's going to be going on and exactly what kind of shots you'll be able to get. I really like the convenience of going from 28mm to 600mm with the push of a rocker on my Sony NX5U.

However, I did do an experimental wedding earlier this year where I shot everything using my Nikon V1, 17-55 F2.8, and 70-200 F2.8.

The 17-55 was used on everything inside for preps and slider shots, and the 70-200 was used outside during the ceremony.

Worked great!

My buddy was running 2 Canon XF300s getting other shots, so that took a lot of pressure off.
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
I really like the convenience of going from 28mm to 600mm with the push of a rocker on my Sony NX5U.
I do miss that to from my xh-a1 and I still much prefer my sony cx730 in any run and gun, they are such easy camera's to operate, yet get excellent results from. But whenever I get the chance I"lll use my dslr's, the image has a much more appealing look to it then what my cx730's can provide.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques