DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   CX900 stabilizer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/523660-cx900-stabilizer.html)

Jeff Harper June 10th, 2014 10:18 AM

CX900 stabilizer

Looking for options that would suit the CX900, the smaller and more compact the better.

Want to get moving shots of cake, room shots, getting ready. Compactness is essential and quick to set up. Any thoughts?

Noa Put June 10th, 2014 10:32 AM

Re: CX900 stabilizer

You basically want something that will not make you look like uncle bob holding his handicam and something that will give you more stability and control?

Jeff Harper June 10th, 2014 10:38 AM

Yes, Noa, basically that's it! Your video in the RX10 thread put me over the edge, I am sick of seeing beautiful moving footage. I work hard enough, don't want to add any more gear to my collection, but I need something to give me some smooth moving shots.

The Merlin and similar is larger than I want. I think there are some smaller options out there but I've not kept track of what I've seen.

Peter Rush June 10th, 2014 11:09 AM

I find the Merlin a good stabilizer (once you've taken the time to set it up) Jeff and looks sleeker is is less bulky than a Glidecam type unit but I haven't come across anything smaller.

Jeff Harper June 10th, 2014 11:45 AM

Thanks much Peter. Looked at the Merline and smaller Glidecam 2000 in the past. I can re-visit the Merlin, the price has dropped from what I just saw at Amazon.

Noa Put June 10th, 2014 11:47 AM

I thought you meant something to get more stable shots shooting handheld, for stabilizers I use a blackbird but it's not something I have with me all day, only starting from the reception at the venue I build it up and start using it. I have seen smaller steadicams appear but not so sure how good they are to get smooth moves, a steadicam also requires lots of practise, someone I know in my country got the blackbird as well after seeing my footage but he hardly uses it anymore as he is not able to get any smooth shot out of it. I did give him some tips how to get smoother shots though but I"m also sure it's not the steadicam but the way he has balanced it or uses it.

Noa Put June 10th, 2014 11:49 AM

Honestly, I would stay away from the Merlin, I have read about so many users having issues with it getting it balanced right up to the point they get frustrated and give up. The Merlin works well if you know what you are doing but seems much more difficult to balance. I"d go for a glidecam 2000 or blackbird.

Jeff Harper June 10th, 2014 12:08 PM

My terminolgoy was wrong, and I am a bit confused, Noa. Going four days on little sleep, it's taking a toll. Actually, I do need a shoulder mount also. I will probably order a Spiderbrace today.

But originally I meant I needed something like a small version of a Merlin or similar unit. I thought I had seen small handheld units that provided smooth moving shots, but I might be confused, they may have been only for the GoPro.

I looked over the reviews for the Merlin 2 on Amazon, and then for the Glidecam HD2000 and the reviews were much worse for the Merlin. It seems more difficult to set up than the Glidecam. Will have to research further.

Peter Rush June 11th, 2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1848435)
Honestly, I would stay away from the Merlin, I have read about so many users having issues with it getting it balanced right up to the point they get frustrated and give up. The Merlin works well if you know what you are doing but seems much more difficult to balance. I"d go for a glidecam 2000 or blackbird.

I can only speak for myself but I had a similar experience - I almost gave up on getting it balanced but as It was the first stabilizer I had ever used I assumed they all were a pain to set up. I was determined however as it was so expensive not to give up and now I can get it out of a case, pop my VG-20 with Samyang 14mm lens on there and be flying in a few minutes - it just needs a little trim adjust each time.

The amount of practice you need however is great - I don't always have time to use to use it at weddings as a solo guy so my footage is still hit and miss but when it's good - it's great!

Jeff Harper June 11th, 2014 05:31 AM

Thanks guys. I was looking at both of these units a year ago and kept leaning towards the Glidecam. Blackbird is attractive also.

Peter, thanks for your encouragement on the Merlin.