DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Premiere Pro CC Multicam help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/523726-premiere-pro-cc-multicam-help.html)

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2014 11:55 AM

Re: Premiere Pro CC Multicam help!

Paul, as an editor who has had 14 hours worth of footage spread over four cameras, I do not feel as you do. I'm not at all mystified that someone might need Plural Eyes or the sync feature of PP.

Having done it both ways, it seems 10 minutes using Plural Eyes beats doing things manually and spending hours on the task, but that is just me.

Andrew Kimery July 3rd, 2014 01:23 PM

I'm with you Jeff. On the unscripted projects I work on footage is usually measured in the hundreds of hours and it's all multicam (and many times dual system sound) and I can't even fathom syncing all of that by eye. I've done my share of looking for a camera flashes, car doors closing and swearing at my monitor because production didn't give me a clap/slate to sync to... ugh good riddance to that grind.

Byron Jones July 3rd, 2014 06:13 PM

I agree with the need. I use 5-6 cameras for a ceremony and normally 4 at a reception. I also use 3-4 audio recorders too. PluralEyes saves SO much time. Don't get me wrong. I know how to do it manually using my own eyes and ears, and did it that way for a while because I was too cheap to buy the software. Yeah, I have been hitting myself for over a year now. Definitely worth the money. Even more so if you shoot smaller "artsy" clips.

Clive, I had some trouble with syncing footage from the 6D as well. Found it to be the camera's pathetic microphone's fault. Throw a decent mic on the top, I'm using one from Rhode, and the problems vanished. It syncs great with the software (except the times I forget to turn it on). The batteries last so long, I now just leave it on for the whole day even when not shooting just so I won't forget to turn it on when it really counts.

Clive McLaughlin July 6th, 2014 05:27 AM

"(except the times I forget to turn it on). The batteries last so long, I now just leave it on for the whole day even when not shooting just so I won't forget to turn it on when it really counts."

Don't get me started. Shot for three years without a mic, now its pretty difficult to remember to turn on another thing. Before I realised I could leave it on all day, I've made a few boobs. (Those will be fun to edit).

Two weeks ago I found myself out recording audio of footsteps on a gravel path to throw on top of some silent b&g walking footage!

Now, with my brand new Sony A7S, I've got the sony mic also, and it's powered via the camera! Hooray!