DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Spelling mistakes on the dvd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/524013-spelling-mistakes-dvd.html)

Noa Put July 8th, 2014 07:44 AM

Spelling mistakes on the dvd

Don't you just hate it having finished and delivered a dvd, couple happy, you happy and one day later to get a mail saying you mispelled the grooms name? The guy had a weird sounding name, I used a S instead of a C as first letter of his name on the dvd, in the movie however I did right, only not on the dvd and dvdbox print, ugh. I always double check for names and have no idea why I missed that, oh well.

Chris Harding July 8th, 2014 07:55 AM

Re: Spelling mistakes on the dvd

You are not the only one Noa

I now make a point of checking names for spelling when I sign up the bride! I have also done a mis-spell or two before now so don't feel bad!

The worst mistake was using my cover template (and the bride wanted 6 DVD sets) from a previous wedding in December 2012 ...I corrected the cover text with the new wedding for 15th January and forgot to change the year so I had to reprint all the covers. At least I didn't do that with the menus otherwise I would have had to reburn and recompile everything!!

Check and double check is the key I think

Chris

Noa Put July 8th, 2014 08:14 AM

My worst mistake was sending the finished dvd's to the bride by mail and getting a phonecall that someone elses wedding was on the dvd :D
I had finished a few weddings in a row and when preparing the dvd's to be mailed I picked the wrong dvd boxes... The couple didn't mind as they said they enjoyed watching that film as well, lol.

Robert Benda July 8th, 2014 08:45 AM

My easy solution to making sure I never made the mistake again was... I leave it off. I started using just a picture of the B&G on the cover and calling it good.

Jeff Harper July 8th, 2014 12:12 PM

I no longer use last names, seems to work out better and gives me less opportunities for mistakes!

Dave Partington July 8th, 2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1854553)
I no longer use last names

I never did ..... :)

Rob Cantwell July 8th, 2014 12:43 PM

I generally ask what they want!
if they want names etc. I get them to send me a text file with whatever names, locations, dates etc. and ask them to double check as well.

Danny O'Neill July 8th, 2014 01:17 PM

We used to include all guests in the credits, names taken from the seating plan. Lots of spelling mistakes apparently so stopped doing that.

Sent out a form to fill out with peoples names, couple filled it in. Still they made mistakes.

So stopped that totally.

No probe except for my own sisters wedding where I spelt her fellas name wrong. Ryhs instead if Rhys, I just saw the name so much I got snow blind and it all looked the same.

Tim Bakland July 8th, 2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1854553)
I no longer use last names, seems to work out better and gives me less opportunities for mistakes!

That's a great call. Same here. I've really simplified any text I put on anything (within film or on covers) and make sure to use the first names as they have on their contract and/or program.

Luc Spencer July 8th, 2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1854503)
The couple didn't mind as they said they enjoyed watching that film as well, lol.

hahaha man you were lucky, pretty sure over here they might take that as an insult and once the baby is born they'll get someone else to film the baptism!

Chris Hewitt July 8th, 2014 04:31 PM

Worst mistake I ever made was not giving the wrong wedding to the couple....it was giving them someone else's funeral video that I had done the day before.
Luckily, they were amused...

Arthur Gannis July 8th, 2014 05:41 PM

Biggest mistake I made was in the VHS days when a Greek bride wanted me to mail out her 3 PAL copies to Greece. I mispelled her husband's last name, like 30 characters long, by one letter and had to transcode to PAL again and ship again. Total loss, over $250 for one small letter.
Now I just don't even bother with names anymore. I just Video their invitation card over a bed of bouquets at the bride prep and use it as the intro.

Kyle Root July 8th, 2014 06:59 PM

I've made 2 spelling mistakes over the years.

Now more recently, I have stopped doing "end credits" and also gone to pretty much first names only and limited text on the graphics I do.

That's helped a lot.

Chris Harding July 8th, 2014 07:43 PM

I used to do much the same as you, Arthur. With full VHS cassettes you could actually edit in camera! Just film the invitation as the title and then cue up the tape and start the wedding. At the end you could eject the tape, stick on the pre-printed labels and hand it to the bride ...instant wedding video.

Nowdays, like Jeff, I only use their first names and the date ..less chance of an error! You want to try doing a Macedonian wedding and getting the names right!! like Greek they are complex multi-character names so the chance for an error is a lot higher.

Chris

Arthur Gannis July 8th, 2014 08:36 PM

Back then clients accepted the 3rd generation copy ( actually looks like crap ) of the 4:3 SD format and always seemed to have nice things to say. Applying titles was a technical nightmare only reserved for big dollar equipment.I remember a title generator made by Videonics called the Titlemaker that had limited fonts and awful resolution at $500 but did the job until I thought about why not just video the invitation instead, looks better without any chance of spelling error. We live and learn. Want to laugh ? The first video I did with scrolling titles was done in 1975 by cutting out words and letters from a newspaper and glueing them on my kitchen wall and then using the camera on a tripod to tilt from top to bottom. My wife made me wipe off all that glue before it dried.