DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Some ideas and things to change - advice? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/524047-some-ideas-things-change-advice.html)

Robert Benda July 10th, 2014 05:20 PM

Some ideas and things to change - advice?

After a few helpful conversations with Jeff Cook (new to weddings, but lots of news experience) and reading up from all of you... and with a little gap in our schedule - our next wedding is August 1st, after filming 4 in June - here is what we want to do differently. Help me if you think any of this is off:

We currently shoot with 3 DSLRs (2 70Ds, and a 5d Mark ii) for weddings. We'll pick up a
Canon VIXIA HFS100, or HFS200 (?) as our main camera from the back of the church. I want to do this so that, for the full length video, it's mostly that footage, with only occassional cuts to our other cameras. I'm hoping this will cut down edit time. Our main video is our 15 minute highlight film, which will take advantage of the 3/4 camera setup.

The new Canon Vixia will also be our option for when we do live streaming of weddings. We've done 3 times already. Once, for instance, because a grandma was too ill to travel.

Don't promise, but try to provide a little teaser video within 24 hours. I usually copy the footage the next morning, anyway. I put together one this week, mostly in the time it took me to copy all the material off the cards themselves. I'm hoping this will get a lot of shares right away, which will get our name in front of people one extra time. I already do something similar with the footage from when I'm the DJ. The example below, of the dance, I got home at 2am, up at 6am, and had that posted by 9am.

Lastly, get my overall delivery time down. I want to start posting their 15 minute highlight film after 1-2 weeks. Right now, it's about 6 weeks. I know there will be stretches where we have a bunch of weddings in a row where I can't keep up, but I'll try.

So, any thoughts or suggestions?

Edward Calabig July 11th, 2014 02:58 PM

Re: Some ideas and things to change - advice?

Here is my suggestion for a quick edit.

First sort all the footage into specific folders such as bridal prep, ceremony, etc. If you are using Premiere Pro 6/CC, do not dump the footage into sub folders within these folders since you can edit the footage without transcoding.

Next, rename the footage based on the shooter or angle. Check Erik Naso's post, especially if you are shooting with multiple AVCHD cameras: Using Prelude CC 2014 To Rename Those Pesky AVCHD Clips | Erik Naso

When editing, take the specific folder's footage and dump all the footage onto the timeline. Edit and remove footage as necessary. It is MUCH faster to edit by removing footage rather than clicking, watching each clip, and adding/removing it. Once you have your sequence edited (bridal preparation, photos, ceremony), you can delete the unused footage and move on.

Dave Partington July 11th, 2014 03:39 PM

For faster editing - if you're on a Mac - check out the latest FCPX. Seriously, it saves me tens of hours (literally) over using Premiere Pro (I have both). If you're not on a mac then, sorry for suggesting it.

Robert Benda July 11th, 2014 03:50 PM

Sorry, I'm PC.

I think doing less camera switching during long form ceremonies will save me a fair amount of time. I also don't render final files until I'm done for the day, so that the computer isn't being taken up during working hours. Since I make my long form first, I may also try copying and pasting interesting footage to a 2nd work file for the high lights later.

If I cut down on my editing enough, I may also spend some more time with color correction and grading, using DaVinci Resolve, for the highlights (15 minute form)...