DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Glidecam tilt technique (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/524221-glidecam-tilt-technique.html)

Derek Neustaeter August 17th, 2014 07:51 PM

Re: Glidecam tilt technique

Thanks guys for all the feedback, i have been working on it and have improved significantly! I find the problem i have by tilting with a light two finger grip is that the rig tend to want to turn occasionally. Keeping it centred and on my subject is where the real skill comes in!

Tariq Peter August 18th, 2014 05:31 AM

This may help

Glidecam Training I purchased it and got some good tips.

Noa Put August 18th, 2014 06:38 AM

Not saying that training video doesn't contain useful tips but I have to say that his demo video is not exactly "flying with perfection" as he sells it. First of all he uses a near fish eye angle lens which can hide mistakes you make when you fly, they still are be visible but just don't notice that much as using a 35 or 50mm lens and I do see some swaying to the left or right when he either moves forward or when he makes a 90 degree turn.

James Manford August 18th, 2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1858314)
Not saying that training video doesn't contain useful tips but I have to say that his demo video is not exactly "flying with perfection" as he sells it. First of all he uses a near fish eye angle lens which can hide mistakes you make when you fly, they still are be visible but just don't notice that much as using a 35 or 50mm lens and I do see some swaying to the left or right when he either moves forward or when he makes a 90 degree turn.

+1

Wide angles hide many mistakes. And to top it off, you can hide any mistakes further by using a stabilizer in post.

Anyone that can use a glidecam/flycam properly balanced with a prime lens gets a thumbs up from me!

Tariq Peter August 19th, 2014 09:26 AM

I do know a lot of cinematographers like the 24-70mm on the glidecam, although I found this a little to heavy.

Charles Papert August 20th, 2014 12:57 PM

Every stabilizer operator should pick up the "Steadicam Operator's Handbook". While it is written primarily with big rigs in mind, the operating concepts are the same and it has all the classic practice exercises which are critical to learning the basics.

Wide angle lenses can indeed smooth out issues with the stabilization, but they are actually a little tougher when it comes to horizons as nothing is hidden! And as always, the slower and more precise the move, the harder it is to make "perfect".