DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Bringing equipment (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/524393-bringing-equipment.html)

Jeff Cook August 4th, 2014 02:06 PM

Bringing equipment

I just recently bought a 1510 pelican case which is real nice. I have all my lenses, cameras and all in that case. I also have 2 Canon backpacks. I was curious if you guys bring your pelican cases with you full or do you simply take what you need. I feel if I pack what I need, I will soon find out that I should have brought it all. What are your thoughts?

Don Bloom August 4th, 2014 02:27 PM

Re: Bringing equipment

When I was in the army back in the days of the civil war...I had a sergeant that told me "better to have it and not need it than to not have and die for it".
Now while that won't apply literally to video or still work, as it did in the army, the thought process is the same. I always had everything plus a bit more in my cases/bags just in case because it's easier to carry it than it is to run back to the car and hope you can find what you need...especially when you've got 5 minutes to go and the clock is ticking.
Of course that's just me.

Robert Benda August 4th, 2014 02:36 PM

I don't really have extra equipment. Sure I've got more pocket recorders than I need, or spare fabric tape, for instance.... and a couple of extra (cheap) lenses that are SUPER long, just in case. I really do bring it all, but all I have is what I need.

The only thing I do is...my camera bag with fast primes stays in the car during the ceremony, and is for at the reception. At the reception, my bag of slower zooms stays in the car along with a tripod, since I just use the monopod the whole time, whereas at the ceremony, I use the monopod for processional/recessional before switching to tripod.

Jeff Cook August 4th, 2014 04:50 PM

I am somewhat hesitant with leaving some gear in the car. I have heard of horror stories where people's cars have been broken into while on the shoot. I think I might just lug my pelican case with wheels where ever I go.

Adrian Tan August 4th, 2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Cook (Post 1857178)
I feel if I pack what I need, I will soon find out that I should have brought it all. What are your thoughts?

Hey Jeff, I customise my bags for every job I do, wedding or non-wedding. Sometimes smaller, sometimes bigger. If I can get away with less, I take less.

Why? Because for me personally, every extra piece of gear has a cost in terms of weight, convenience, setup time. And these things lead to missed shots. There's a difference between jumping out of your car, running up some stairs, and filming -- and dragging four bags up the stairs, finding a spot to put them, setting up four tripods and separate sound recorders, and filming.

There is a also a cost in terms of what your mind is occupied with -- if you bring four cameras, you have to keep track of which lens is on which camera, which cameras need card/battery changes, how to position them all optimally, and how to optimally get the right lens on the right body.

So, I tell myself to keep it simple. But it's a constant to-and-fro, back-and-forth thing.

Robert Benda August 4th, 2014 04:53 PM

Oh, absolutely. It's not just sitting there. I use the compartment in the way back where my tire iron and some other things go. I can't fit all my gear, just a small bag.

Chris Harding August 4th, 2014 07:31 PM

I have custom trays that fit into the car (in the trunk) that the cameras sit in for protection and then a big aluminium case for all my goodies that I might need (like Don it has everything in it just in case! even band aids)

I built a custom aluminium trolley and the cam trays clip on the top with the cases underneath. My stills cameras and lenses are in a soft case on wheels. I would rather take it all into the reception than have someone break into my car so the secret here is NOT to have signs on the car either ..they are cool BUT might as well say "Expensive gear in here..please rob me!"

Yep, I have been broken into once at a photoshoot in a park and I was just 100' away too. Luckily I was insured but had to do the two weekend weddings without some lenses and some video lighting.

I try to set myself up so I do just one trip from the car to the venue.. much easier! Pelicans are very cool but also very heavy too so I now use a light aluminium case for small stuff but all have foam inserts and everything has a place so I can find it fast when I need it!!

Don Bloom August 4th, 2014 09:21 PM

I don't want it to sound like I took everything I owned because frankly, it wouldn't have fitted in my car but I DID take everything that I would normally need to be able to do a job properly. In my A case I had my A camera, batteries for it, my wireless receiver which lived on the camera, 2 mic paks with lavs, a plug in transmitter, my SM63 handheld, a CN160 light, 4 Sony 970 batteries for that, 12 AA batteries for mic paks, extra SDHC cards, a white card, proof of insurance, an extra short XLR and a 20 foot XLR along with my little bag full of audio connections and turn arounds. All of that fit quite well in my Pelican Storm Case 2650. I carried my tripod in a bag and had a small cheap boom stand and light stand strapped together so I could throw them and my tripod over my shoulder and off I'd go. For weddings I had my B camera in a small bag with 3 batteries, a remote, AC adaptor and AT897 mic. I'd set that on top on my Pelican and grab my 2nd tripod also in a bag and yep, I carried that on the same shoulder as all the other stuff. I was used to carrying my golf bag so the 2 tripods and stands were no big deal. For ceremonies I didn't use the stands only for receptions so most times I wasn't carrying them and for receptions I only used 1 camera. Point is, unless my HM700 DIED, whether I was doing a wedding or a seminar, I had all that I would need in my case with me so if I needed something I didn't have to run around. I always shot guerilla style so it was pretty easy for me.

Kyle Root August 5th, 2014 01:56 PM

I bring it all, or at least 80% of it.

Pelican 1510, 1650, and 6 other camera and gear bags.

A friend bought a Thinktank Logistics Manager rolling case, and I will be buying one as well as soon as my August bills are paid.

He fits 2 XF 300s, an XA10, 5Dii, lenses, mics, and other stuff in there.

Rob Cantwell August 5th, 2014 06:34 PM

i bring mostly everything, not just backup equipment but other stuff like chargers cables etc. even stuff for stills photography where i haven't been hired as a photographer, just in case.

Chris Harding August 5th, 2014 06:56 PM

Hi Rob

Ditto!! I don't bring my full DSLR setup for simple weddings but I still have at least one body, lenses which I use on the video cameras anyway just in case. I have had weddings where I have asked where is the photog and the couple said "Errr we didn't hire one" They were overjoyed when I did their group photos for them.

I think it was also Don who said I while ago that you need a backup for everything and sometimes backups for the backups. My main utility case has spare everything and also I have a special little area for basic tools ...it's amazing when your QR plate becomes loose on a camera and you troll thru your wallet to find that you simply don't have a coin that will work as a screw driver to tighten it ..I have a little stubby screwdriver in the case and that has been a lifesaver!!

Chris

Kyle Root August 7th, 2014 01:31 PM

I bring everything, not because I use it, but to have as a backup in case something goes wrong with the gear I have set up.

It's never happened, but it provides peace of mind knowing that I have backups I can get to quickly if I need to.

Also, why I prefer to shoot with 3 people at the Ceremony.

Arthur Gannis August 7th, 2014 01:48 PM

I bring only my camera mounted on a shoulder bracket and a couple of small batteries in my pockets. That's it. I'm lazy.
The rest of the stuff ( spares ) stays in the trunk of the car.

Chris Harding August 7th, 2014 08:09 PM

As long as the car is within running distance, you don't have a problem. I worked with a photog who stupidly left his still camera battery in the car and the one in the camera failed a few seconds before the ring exchange. Of course he never made it back in time!

I also leave non criticals in the car but I still take them to the gig ..the last thing you want to do is have to drive home cos you need a charger!!

Chris

Peter Rush August 8th, 2014 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis (Post 1857504)
I bring only my camera mounted on a shoulder bracket and a couple of small batteries in my pockets. That's it. I'm lazy.
The rest of the stuff ( spares ) stays in the trunk of the car.

Wow reading through this I think that what I take is maybe overkill! I have one KATA OMB-74 for my handycams/spare batteries/lights etc
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601957-REG/Kata_KT_OMB_74_OMB_74_One_Man_Band.html

One KATA PL-CC-195 for my Sony EA50 and 3 Lenses
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840310-REG/Kata_KT_PL_CC_195_CC_195_PL_Compact_Case.html

Plus a tripod bag with Manfrotto tripod and 3 light stands (two for handycams and one to hoist a mic up to a church speaker.)

I can just about carry all 3 at a push but I have some sandbags as well for the light stands - It's those that unfortunately make it a two trip scenario!