How to take your Wedding Videography to the next level? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 11th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #16
Still Motion

Re: How to take your Wedding Videography to the next level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Yoder View Post
I feel like I produce a solid wedding video. Good quality video with good quality sound, but I feel like I am stuck at that level. Any tips on how to take it to the next level? I am doing this part-time and am averaging 15-20 weddings a year. Here is my Youtube Channel where I upload my videos. What do you guys think? https://www.youtube.com/user/TNYVideography/videos
Hey Tyson,

Something that has always served us well was the simple thought - Weddings are nothing. People are everything.

Get to know the people. Build and tell a strong story that celebrates them and you won't need any conversations on HD, Bluray, 3D, or any other junk.

Make art, not fashion. Put people first. Create an experience.

We have a blog post here on how to find your voice as a filmmaker. It may be a good starting point for you.

How To Define & Build Your Filmmaking Style. You Are Not a Tripod

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Travis

I certainly cannot argue with one of the masters like Patrick, but for us lessor mortals who have not yet reached the level of Still Motion I like you idea of extra revenue. Actually I was on my current Directory and was looking at other vendors and realised, "Hey, I should make promos for these guys during the week when I'm slack" I started off a day or two ago and emailed all our local celebrants and got my first shoot tomorrow ...but I only read your post today, after I had sent the emails out.

Tyson, I don't think it's an easy hop, skip and jump to get to the Still Motion level BUT we all have to make a living in the meantime and being practical most brides tend to choose a Saturday so that's only four gigs a month so Travis's idea of extra income is a very sound one!!

If you target wedding vendors who believe in promoting themselves they are quite likely to be interested in doing a promo ... find the vendors that advertise on a fairly high end site like the Knot or Wedding Wire ..if they are prepared to outlay cash with the bigger directories they will also be prepared to pay you to do a promo and it's nice bread and butter money and fills in the time when you are not busy!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Regular Crew

If you can, attend a seminar from a renowned videographer. I thought I was on the right path about a year ago and attended a seminar. I was thoroughly humbled and now have the motivation to keep improving and a much better understanding of creating get a wedding story.

Find videos you like and study what you like about them. Then, find your own style. Never stop experimenting while keeping the essentials (good coverage of the ceremony, toasts, etc). Patrick's statement that every couple has their own story is a great way to approach their video. While every couple may not have an epic story of how they met or experiences, you can always bring out the unique aspects of their wedding day through video.

Last edited by Edward Calabig; August 11th, 2014 at 10:53 PM.
Edward Calabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the input guys!
Tyson Yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #20
Regular Crew

One thing I could suggest to improve on making a better wedding video, which is what I do is watch movies and study the cinematography. It's a real fun thing to do. That is what I do. I want a very cinematic look like someone is watching a film. :)
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #21
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Calabig View Post
While every couple may not have an epic story of how they met or experiences, you can always bring out the unique aspects of their wedding day through video.
So true, and so important.

This is really the impetus behind the idea that 'The best storytellers are the best listeners.' We need to take the time to dive deeper, to find those little things. Not everybody will be epic and obvious in their uniqueness, but it's always there when you take the time to listen.

And as we get started and deal with lower budgets and people who don't gift wrap crazy stories for us, it just means we need to listen that much more.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:36 AM   #22
Regular Crew

It takes some guts to move out of your comfort zone to try something different from what you've been doing for so many years. Reason could be fear of screwing things up and receive complains from couples. However you still have to do it if you think it is better for your business. Of course the best way to learn is to look at the works of those you admire in the industry and see what and how they do and analyse it yourself. That's the way to improve yourself isn't it?
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques