DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Metabones lens flare update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/524492-metabones-lens-flare-update.html)

Clive McLaughlin August 13th, 2014 01:51 AM

Metabones lens flare update

Some of you will have already seen my post about the flare I've been getting on my A7S with various lenses, various focal lengths and apertures...

I've been in communications with Metabones. They take days at a time to reply via email and english is not great. I've explained to them that I have shoots weekly and the A7S is my only setup so I'm reluctant to send it to them just for them to check.

They said 'we can't do anything then'. This is an unacceptable failing of the product, and I can't afford the time to post it back to hong kong and wait for them to get to the bottom of it when I don't have another setup to film adequately with.

Very annoyed.

Kenny Shem August 13th, 2014 11:20 PM

Re: Metabones lens flare update

Why not try to go to a shop to test another adapter. You can't expect them to send a new copy to you before you return right? A7s and metabone adapter is very new in the market, I don't think you should make that your primary camera and setup without proper testing first. Well, unless you are just shooting for fun and casual holiday etc which in that case, the shoot will not be very important?

Chris Harding August 13th, 2014 11:41 PM

Hey Clive

Have you checked if they have a UK or Ireland agent in your area. Steve Digges in the USA was having major issues with his EA-50 and he found a guy who was the Metabones agent and the process went very quickly and smoothly.

One would think that with the price of these adapters they would have a few major service centres in at least the UK so help you out. Do you really need the Metabones for weddings or could you get by for a while with a cheap dumb adapter?? I think it's at least 3 weeks or more to get it to and from HK so you obviously need something to use in the meantime and don't want to buy a 2nd adapter so maybe one of the Chinese dumb ones could tide you over while it's being repaired???

Kenny it's a very pricey product and that's a lot of money out of Clive's pocket and potentially loss of wedding income ..most suppliers will exchange a product that has an obvious manufacturing fault like a light leak.

Hope you get it sorted out quickly

Chris

Clive McLaughlin August 14th, 2014 01:33 AM

I had recent issues with my Laing stabiliser - I showed Laing on video the issue I was having and they immediately sent me a replacement gimbal. Maybe their customer service spoilt me a little. But I've posted a video showing something that is clearly not camera related, and a popular lens.

They could run tests I'm sure to verify if this is common on all the Metabones adaptors. If they are certain that its not 'normal' then surely their assumption is I got a defect and they should send a replacement in faith.

To be clear Kenny - The A7S and everything is working perfectly. I'm more than confident using it. This issue with the flare only happens when a bright source is just outside of frame. I can easily avoid that and continue shooting in the mean time.

My reluctance in sending it to Metabones is that they can't even admit that it's their issue and haven't actually suggested I return it to them.

It doesn't sound to me like they are overly concerned, or will treat it with much urgency...

Very poor customer service.

Peter Rush August 14th, 2014 07:57 AM

Clive send a PM to Steve Digges - he might be able to connect you with someone more helpful at Metabones - he had a different experience to you. I have the A7s and Smart Adapter IV and have yet to come across an issue like the one you are having. Third wedding with it this weekend so I'll post If I experience this.

Pete

Peter Rush August 15th, 2014 06:41 AM

Clive I had an issue with white flashes as I changed iris setting - after a few quick and efficient emails it turned out I needed to enable advanced mode - my contact at Metabones support was Alex (GBI Ltd) if that's any help.

As quite a few of us seem to be adopting the A7s camera does anyone know how to request a sub-forum for this model in the Sony NXCAM/AVCHD forum?

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camera Systems Forum at DV Info Net

Pete

Khoi Pham August 15th, 2014 08:25 PM

I see it too, for sure this is a defect.