DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Do you shoot the whole day in 50/60p for a few slow-mo scenes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/524610-do-you-shoot-whole-day-50-60p-few-slow-mo-scenes.html)

Kenny Shem August 22nd, 2014 10:07 AM

Do you shoot the whole day in 50/60p for a few slow-mo scenes?

Do you guys shoot the whole wedding in 50/60p then decide in post which part to slow mo or shoot mainly in 24/25p and for those shots you know you want to slow mo, you switch to 50/60p?

Just want to see which is a better option.

Peter Rush August 22nd, 2014 10:57 AM

Re: Do you shoot the whole day in 50/60p for a few slow-mo scenes?

All my cams shoot 50p - I really dislike the jitter that shows in 25p from camera movement.

Craig McKenna August 22nd, 2014 02:14 PM

For my second film I shot at 50p for the aisle shot and confetti walk. Apart from that, I shot at 24p. But I'm not a pro by any means, I just really liked those two shots in slow mo from my first wedding and wished I'd shot at 24/25p for the rest of the film.

Unlike Peter, I love the look of 24p and became accustomed to it whilst watching Ray Roman's Wedding Cinematography course at Creative Live.

Unlike the high end cinematographers, I still think a wedding is highly watchable at 50p. Just a personal preference, as the angle, exposure, lighting and movement/stability are much more important (I think/feel, from an amateur's perspective).

Art Varga August 22nd, 2014 05:00 PM

I stick with 24P all day. For the few if any shots I want to slow down I use Twixtor which does a nice job if I don't go any lower than 50%.

Noa Put August 22nd, 2014 07:39 PM

I do shoot 50p, don't know what benefit shooting 25p has, 25p and 50p look exactly the same to me in static shots, when I pan I do see a difference where 50p is smoother, because I do shoot 50p all the time I also can slow down footage whenever I want without any timeconsuming plugins, I don't have to think about that while I shoot and I don't know why I should.

Peter Rush August 23rd, 2014 02:19 AM

I'm with Noa - I don't want to use time consuming plugins to slow down my workflow - currently filming one or two weddings a week I simply can't afford the time, plus as a solo shooter I have enough to think about on the day itself - trying to second guess what might look good in slow motion would be a distraction.

Pete

James Manford August 23rd, 2014 04:19 AM

50p all day, every day.

Noa Put August 23rd, 2014 04:24 AM

I do have to say I shoot 25p on my 4k camera's, not because I want to but because I have to as there is no 50p option in 4k yet, but my 1080p cameras all shoot 50p.

Bob Drummond August 23rd, 2014 08:59 AM

I'm constantly switching between 3 speeds, and they all play on a 24p timeline and 24p final file:

-24p for footage where sound needs to be synced (speaking of any kind, especially speeches and vows, normal speed dance footage where people are all singing along to well-known lyrics)
-30p for a very slight slow-motion effect, usually for shots that could use a little extra oomph (prep, photoshoots, etc)
-60p or 60i for shots here I know I'll want a dramatic slow-motion look (close up during special slow dances)

Noa Put August 23rd, 2014 09:07 AM

Has it never happened you forgot to switch back to the right framerate?I know I would make mistakes having to think about which framerate to use at which moment throughout the day.

Robert Benda August 23rd, 2014 09:10 AM

Shooting 24 fps instead of 60 fps is a very practical matter for us. I don't want to run at shutter speed 120. Of course, I *could* do that with out door settings, and it might even be to my advantage, allowing non-f/16 shooting. Mostly, I don't want to have to remember to change settings.

Bob Drummond August 23rd, 2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1858828)
Has it never happened you forgot to switch back to the right framerate?I know I would make mistakes having to think about which framerate to use at which moment throughout the day.

Yes, it does happen sometimes :)

But I can make it work. I think the results are worth little extra headaches.

Adrian Tan August 23rd, 2014 04:09 PM

25p for most of the day. 50p for particular parts.

Difference between 25/50 -- I believe I can see this even in the LCD screen, and surely it's just another part of what goes into a "film look", so should be adhered to if you're trying for a film look? Just like 180-degree shutter.

What I slow motion: entire photoshoot gets done in slow mo, because I've always struggled to find anything good for video in that part of the day, and just adding slow mo at least gives it something. Some dancing at reception in slow mo (if light is good enough). And bouquet toss (if light is good enough). That's about it. Confetti doesn't happen very often here -- it's usually bubbles if anything. Hairspray at prep -- maybe once in a blue moon I'll slow mo it.

But I was thinking... I was rewatching Matt Smith's last Dr Who episode recently, and there was one edit I took mental note of. When he's back in the TARDIS, just before his regeneration, he removes his bow tie and lets it fall to the ground. There's two cuts: chest-high close-up of removing the bow tie, then an insert of the bow tie hitting the ground, and the latter is done in slow motion. Nothing else in the scene is in slow motion -- just that one shot -- but I thought it was very effective. So that opens up the possibility for me: when you're running around at a wedding trying to cover an activity from different angles and shot sizes (if you shoot in this style), you can sometimes mix in slow motion into those shots.

Malcolm Debono August 24th, 2014 02:45 AM

All in 50p on A7s. The 50mbps XAVC codec means data-wise it would be as if shooting at 25mbps when used as 25p footage, which is more than adequate for weddings. I find it quite handy to have any shot I want in slo-mo since I can slow it down for the trailer and keep it normal for the feature film.

Noa Put August 24th, 2014 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Tan (Post 1858865)
Difference between 25/50 -- I believe I can see this even in the LCD screen, and surely it's just another part of what goes into a "film look", so should be adhered to if you're trying for a film look? Just like 180-degree shutter.

I now mix 25p from my 4k camera's with 50p from my other 1080p camera's and especially during faster pans I do see differences but in general when it's all mixed together there is not one shot that gives me the impression of a more "filmlook", it all looks the same to me. I remember when the dvx100 came everyone said it had a filmlook because of the 25p, when the dslr's came out everyone said it had a filmlook because of the shallow dof and when BM came out with their raw camera everyone said it had a filmlook because of the high DR. 50p just makes my life easier in post and the client will never be able to see the difference, they just look at the content.

Leon Bailey September 1st, 2014 05:09 PM

I only shoot 24fps and if I want to get a b-roll shot that I want to slow down, then I switch to 60fps. :)