DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Gopro issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/524693-gopro-issue.html)

Renton Maclachlan August 27th, 2014 02:14 PM

Gopro issue

Thought I'd mention this for those using Gopros...

I was up the mountain (Ruapehu) earlier in the week for three days of skiing, and thought that I would film on the third day to make up an interesting multi-angle film of a run. I duly cleared my 32gb card and organised all the mounts for the different locations I was going to have the camera. Used the suction cup on the outside of the car as we went up the mountain and took about a minutes worth of footage. When we pulled into the car park, I checked the camera and it said the card was FULL. ??????!!!! How come, I'd cleared everything off it?

So that blew away my plans...

Apparently there is some issue when deleting files off a card that can mean the card is empty but it doesn't know it. Re formating apparently fixes it...at least that is what I have done...may want to check it out...

Daniel Latimer August 28th, 2014 08:39 AM

Re: Gopro issue

When you deleted the files off the card on the computer, did you empty the recycling bin? If you don't then it doesn't actually clear the card. That would be my best guess.

I usually try to format everything in camera (including the go pro) if possible because I've forgotten to empty the recycling bin before and I've read that a card can become corrupt more easily if you don't do a full format. (I don't know where I read it, so take it for what it's worth).

Kyle Root August 28th, 2014 09:26 AM

Yeah, I always format the card instead of deleting the files off it.

I have had the battery die a couple times doing long timelapses and then when I put the card in the computer, it tells me there's a problem, but it's been able to "fix" it and recover the data. Fortunately.

Chris Harding August 28th, 2014 11:28 PM

Hi Renton

Deleting files on a card simply hides them on FAT cards ... All the program does is delete the first letter of the clip name so it's not found as a file anymore. That is the reason why file recovery software can actually find deleted files as they are not totally erased. Due to this fact if you fill the card up and then "delete" the files (even a few times) the card appears full although no files are shown.

Simple solution is to always format cards (in camera BTW never on the computer) That will clear the card and give you your space back

Chris

Jeff Harper August 29th, 2014 08:08 AM

What everyone else says, I have always formatted cards, no one taught me to, just seemed like the right thing to do.

Renton Maclachlan August 30th, 2014 04:26 AM

All good to know...perhaps I can get up the mountain again and have another go. Have to...I've bought some new skis :-)!!