DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Calling all audio Geeks! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/524706-calling-all-audio-geeks.html)

Clive McLaughlin August 29th, 2014 06:06 AM

Calling all audio Geeks!

Ok two - tests - Please give thoughts on each.

Also, any advice on what to do to the audio in post would be appreciated.

First test - Tabletops - The Sony PX232 was so bad on tabletops, I upgraded to the UX533 which also has a mic input.

Password - audio1

Second test - I've got two recorders with audio inputs, and two lav mics.

Rank them for me, tell me what the best combo is!

Password - audio2

I'm quite open about the fact my audio judgement is poor. This is because I suffer from poor hearing. Its not regular deafness, its a frequency thing. I don't hear certain tones and frequency very well - which obviously means I don't hear the full sound that most others hear....

So I need help on judging these.

Bryan Cantwell August 29th, 2014 11:56 AM

Re: Calling all audio Geeks!

Tascam DR-05 and the Giant Squid lav sounds best to me.

Clive McLaughlin September 1st, 2014 07:35 AM

Was hoping more people would chip in, but thanks Bryan for your input! I agree.

In other news, I taped my little recorders to the house mic at the weekend, with the lav mic taped near to the top (away from hands and fingers).

I'm very impressed with the audio from it. Even more so since the venue PA was shocking and my audio pickup totally eliminated it!

Might be my preferred method from now on as long as the venue management agree to it!

Clive McLaughlin September 1st, 2014 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In fact, here's the result. Password: audio3

Noa Put September 1st, 2014 08:01 AM

The first one has the best sound to me, about taping recorders to the house mic, I do this often with my yamaha c24 and get great sound in that way, there has been a discussion recently about that here where some did not want to do that as you can see the recorder taped to the mike when you zoom in close to the speaker.

Currently I use velcro straps to attach it to the mikes handle and I place a piece of rubber between the yamaha and handle so it doesn't slip off but I"m looking for a solution in the form of a black "elastic sock" (not sure if that is the right word but you have to use your imagination here) that I can pull over the mike's top onto the handle so that the entire recorder is covered except the microphones. In that case you hardly will notice it in the footage. How did you attach it to the handle?

Edit: I just see the picture :)

Rob Cantwell September 4th, 2014 07:23 AM

is there not a danger when a speaker is handling the mic that they might somehow manage to switch it off or something, i know theres a hold function that prevents this but it's not absolutely foolproof!

Clive McLaughlin September 4th, 2014 09:58 AM

Yea, hold button is on, and taped over. That's the key!

Rob Cantwell September 5th, 2014 09:09 AM

ah yes,good plan.
havent tried this, i tape my radio mic to the event's one, I have in some places been able to share the output from my radio mic to the event's sound board which works very well.