DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Epson not accepting 3rd party cartridges (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/525893-epson-not-accepting-3rd-party-cartridges.html)

Paul Mailath November 27th, 2014 11:28 PM

Epson not accepting 3rd party cartridges

I started of using original ink in my XP-600 but I switched to 3rd party cartridges a while ago - suddenly with a stack of DVD's to print it's decided - "can't recognise the following ink cartridges"

it's really pissed me off - I don't see how they have the right to lock me out of using other cartridges - if the printer stated that information on purchase I never would have bought it.

Anyone know any workarounds? I've search the net but to no avail. Rather than give in and buy a set of genuine cartridges I think I'l' get a new printer - not an Epson!

Vince Pachiano November 28th, 2014 12:13 AM

Re: Epson not accepting 3rd party cartridges

At the risk of insulting your intelligence, have you:
1. Shut-down the printer, remove power, and then power back up again?
2. Rub some rubbing alcohol over the cartridge contacts?

Paul Mailath November 28th, 2014 01:10 AM

Hi Vince, my intelligence has faded away over the years so there;s not much left to insult :-)

Yes I've tried all that there's a number of comments & videos on the net with a variety of options, unplugging , powering off etc.

The only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling the software but I don't see that achieving anything - the problem is in the firmware within the printer - I get the same error when it's not connected to the computer. There are suggestions that Epson uses a firmware update to lock out 3rd party cartridges which seems likely.

If the documentation that came with the printer, any printer said that the printer will not work unless you use original cartridges would you buy it? I certainly wouldn't

All they say is that 3rd party cartridges are not recommended, that's a far cry from actually locking you out of your own equipment because you use a different brand.

That's like your Canon camera presenting you with an error message and shutting down if you use Sandisk media.

Chris Harding November 28th, 2014 02:44 AM

Hi Paul

I never found any cartridges that worked well 'colour wise' on my Epsons! If you look on eBay you can find genuine cartridges that are way lower in price than retail!! On my 720's I pay $39.00 for 6 and any "dealer" or shop seems to want $100++ for the same thing.

What has happened is the electronic modules have lost communication with the printer.. they can be reset with a simple utility

Look at this page Epson ink level chip resetter

Chris

Peter Riding November 28th, 2014 02:54 AM

I think I read that they have locked down the system in the latest printers. I used to use a resetter to get more ink out of Epson cartridges plus there is some Russian software that could reset the cart chips but apparently all to no avail now.

The problem with going to other printer manufacturers is that they may not have the ability to print direct onto disc surfaces - that was certainly the case at one time because of copyright issues.

I used a continuous ink system from an Australian company called RIHAC for a few years. It bypasses the chip system:

Continuous Ink Supply System | CISS | Bulk Ink Systems | Refillable Ink Cartridges | Inklink | RIHAC Digital Solutions

I eventually ditched it when my printer could no longer be serviced - the smaller printers do not have a replaceable waste tank unlike my larger Epson 4800 so they have a finite life. Now I use an Epson XP850 together with Epson carts. If you buy them in sets on Amazon its not too bad unless you are doing a large amount of printing.

The Rihac system is confusing to set up but their support is excellent. For a query I was able to talk to them on Skype using my Ipad and we could both see exactly what was what with that printer just by pointing the Ipads video cam at its internals.

Pete

Danny O'Neill November 28th, 2014 05:56 AM

I hate printers with a passion and I think the makers hate us too. Every model has a whole new set of carts it needs and they don't like 3rd party ink which is what it should cost. Just had to replace all the ink in my epson r800 or something and it was £120 for genuine ink. And each cart is tiny.

On top of that overtime I hit print the printer decides it must clean the heads and do some weird printer shiz which is designed to just waste ink. Im now planning on just getting all our disks litho printed rather than doing them ourselves as it actually works out cheaper.

So this post is a big f'you to the printer makers who have zero intention of making customers happy.

Noa Put November 28th, 2014 06:37 AM

I am still using a canon pixma ip4950 and use cheap larger bottles of refill ink where I have to use syringes to fill the cartridges that came with the ink, it's a messy job each time but have been doing it like that for years. My printer is doing all it can to make it clear to me to use genuine 1000 euro per liter canon ink, I get constant error messages that my cartridges are empty, that it can't find my cartridges, that I need to be careful not to damage my printer or that it may explode but just opening and closing the lid makes it go away.

Only I am getting problems with the printing quality and need to get a new one, only not sure what to get, it certainly needs to be compatible with a refill system, no way I"m spending so much money on genuine cartridges.