Anyone score any black Friday deals? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 28th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone score any black Friday deals?

I picked up an extra DR-40 off Amazon for $150.

Thought about picking up a couple CX330s for the $218/each to use as locked off shots.
Old November 28th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?

I saw Creative Live is having a sale on their online classes. Ray Roman's is on sale for $99.
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Got an AT 875r short shotgun from B&H for $129. Will use it as an alternative to and backup for my AT 4053b.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
I saw Creative Live is having a sale on their online classes. Ray Roman's is on sale for $99.
I got it at the reduced price, I"m sure that even someone like me that thinks he knows it all can still learn from a guy like Ray :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Picked up 5 more WD Passport 1TB USB 3.0 drives for $49 each.

But the real treat of the day was bumping into three Sony guys; a sales rep and 2 engineers. We spent over an hour chatting cameras. Since I never make it to any of them CES shows everyone else gets to attend, I really enjoyed this chance meeting. They were more photo-oriented and proud about some 5-axis stabilization they came up with. Tried pumping them for some inside info, but they were tight-lipped on the unreleased specs, etc.
Forgot to ask about a plant tour, but I got their business card so will get back to them about it.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Major Player

I was thinking of getting Red Giant's "Color Suite" one day only sale on Dec.9th for 40% off. Or FilmConvert at 30% off......... can't quite decide which one is best.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Picked up a GH3 for my girlfriend at £480. I thought it would come with Panasonic's £100 off offer, but it seems to have disappeared into thin air. Thinking of returning it for an EM10, as I think she'll prefer the size difference... and the cost difference is only £20.

I might seem like a very good bf here, but I am also intrigued to see if I can spark her love of photography to grow so that we can go and shoot places more often!

If I had the extra cash, I would have picked up the EM5, 12-50mm, 45mm prime and the HLD-6 grip for £699.99. That was the best offer I found via Amazon.co.uk.

Noa and the other peeps buying the Ray Roman course - congratulations! That's my favourite CL course!
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Major Player

i grabbed a 4k camera for $6.99

true story
Old November 29th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
i grabbed a 4k camera for $6.99

true story
One of those unbranded cellphones from china via deal xtreme ?
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
Picked up 5 more WD Passport 1TB USB 3.0 drives for $49 each.

But the real treat of the day was bumping into three Sony guys; a sales rep and 2 engineers. We spent over an hour chatting cameras. Since I never make it to any of them CES shows everyone else gets to attend, I really enjoyed this chance meeting. They were more photo-oriented and proud about some 5-axis stabilization they came up with. Tried pumping them for some inside info, but they were tight-lipped on the unreleased specs, etc.
Forgot to ask about a plant tour, but I got their business card so will get back to them about it.

Mark
That'd be the A7Mk2... 5 axis IBIS, supposed to work with whatever glass you can put on it, add 4-5 stops... rather interesting tech, full frame E mount. It was JUST announced a few days ago, expensive, but likely a good body for the combo stills/video shooter. No 4K, but XAVCS 1080/60p...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
One of those unbranded cellphones from china via deal xtreme ?
pretty close! droid turbo, normal price 200 with new contract with 100 off black friday plus 100 off for old smart phone, = 6.99 tax out the door
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #12
Trustee

My mailbox is full of offers from people with "Black Friday" deals, the funniest of which was from Edelkrone. Their Black Friday offer was no price reduction at all; instead, they sent around an image saying that their prices are low year-round.

Anyway, to be honest, the first thing I thought was, "Hang on. This Friday is the 28th, not the 13th. Why are they calling it 'Black Friday'?" I had to google the term to discover it's the Friday following Thanksgiving or whatever.

But I'm pretty curious: do Americans also refer to Fridays the 13th as "Black Fridays"? Or do they only use the phrase in the shopping sense?

Incidentally, Australians also sometimes use the phrase to refer to "Good Friday", ie the day of the crucifixion.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
That'd be the A7Mk2... 5 axis IBIS, supposed to work with whatever glass you can put on it, add 4-5 stops... rather interesting tech, full frame E mount.
I know it's a bit off topic but there is already some testfootage available, very early conclusions are that the stabilisation is not that effective, there are quite some jitters in the image and noticeable moire and aliasing.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #14
Trustee

Adrian - this is what I heard .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Anyway, to be honest, the first thing I thought was, "Hang on. This Friday is the 28th, not the 13th. Why are they calling it 'Black Friday'?" I had to google the term to discover it's the Friday following Thanksgiving or whatever.

But I'm pretty curious: do Americans also refer to Fridays the 13th as "Black Fridays"? Or do they only use the phrase in the shopping sense?
..... on the radio a couple days ago.

The term originated in the Philadelphia police department back in the early 1960s because they were forced to work on Friday to help direct traffic. According to the radio reporter who apparently did some extensive research on this, one of the cops called it that and then the rest of the force picked up on it.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
Got an AT 875r short shotgun from B&H for $129. Will use it as an alternative to and backup for my AT 4053b.
Thanks, I've been wanting another 875! And thanks to Kyle for the thread.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques