DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Anyone score any black Friday deals? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/525900-anyone-score-any-black-friday-deals.html)

Kyle Root November 28th, 2014 06:40 PM

Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
I picked up an extra DR-40 off Amazon for $150.

Thought about picking up a couple CX330s for the $218/each to use as locked off shots.

Kyle Root November 28th, 2014 06:58 PM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
I saw Creative Live is having a sale on their online classes. Ray Roman's is on sale for $99.

David Dixon November 28th, 2014 08:54 PM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Got an AT 875r short shotgun from B&H for $129. Will use it as an alternative to and backup for my AT 4053b.

Noa Put November 29th, 2014 03:29 AM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Root (Post 1869176)
I saw Creative Live is having a sale on their online classes. Ray Roman's is on sale for $99.

I got it at the reduced price, I"m sure that even someone like me that thinks he knows it all can still learn from a guy like Ray :)

Mark Watson November 29th, 2014 07:45 AM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Picked up 5 more WD Passport 1TB USB 3.0 drives for $49 each.

But the real treat of the day was bumping into three Sony guys; a sales rep and 2 engineers. We spent over an hour chatting cameras. Since I never make it to any of them CES shows everyone else gets to attend, I really enjoyed this chance meeting. They were more photo-oriented and proud about some 5-axis stabilization they came up with. Tried pumping them for some inside info, but they were tight-lipped on the unreleased specs, etc.
Forgot to ask about a plant tour, but I got their business card so will get back to them about it.


Mark

Michael Thames November 29th, 2014 08:53 AM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
I was thinking of getting Red Giant's "Color Suite" one day only sale on Dec.9th for 40% off. Or FilmConvert at 30% off......... can't quite decide which one is best.

Craig McKenna November 29th, 2014 01:22 PM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Picked up a GH3 for my girlfriend at 480. I thought it would come with Panasonic's 100 off offer, but it seems to have disappeared into thin air. Thinking of returning it for an EM10, as I think she'll prefer the size difference... and the cost difference is only 20.

I might seem like a very good bf here, but I am also intrigued to see if I can spark her love of photography to grow so that we can go and shoot places more often!

If I had the extra cash, I would have picked up the EM5, 12-50mm, 45mm prime and the HLD-6 grip for 699.99. That was the best offer I found via Amazon.co.uk.

Noa and the other peeps buying the Ray Roman course - congratulations! That's my favourite CL course!

Darren Levine November 29th, 2014 03:22 PM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
i grabbed a 4k camera for $6.99

true story

James Manford November 29th, 2014 03:48 PM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Levine (Post 1869249)
i grabbed a 4k camera for $6.99

true story

One of those unbranded cellphones from china via deal xtreme ?

Dave Blackhurst November 29th, 2014 04:38 PM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Watson (Post 1869208)
Picked up 5 more WD Passport 1TB USB 3.0 drives for $49 each.

But the real treat of the day was bumping into three Sony guys; a sales rep and 2 engineers. We spent over an hour chatting cameras. Since I never make it to any of them CES shows everyone else gets to attend, I really enjoyed this chance meeting. They were more photo-oriented and proud about some 5-axis stabilization they came up with. Tried pumping them for some inside info, but they were tight-lipped on the unreleased specs, etc.
Forgot to ask about a plant tour, but I got their business card so will get back to them about it.


Mark

That'd be the A7Mk2... 5 axis IBIS, supposed to work with whatever glass you can put on it, add 4-5 stops... rather interesting tech, full frame E mount. It was JUST announced a few days ago, expensive, but likely a good body for the combo stills/video shooter. No 4K, but XAVCS 1080/60p...

Darren Levine November 29th, 2014 04:44 PM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1869250)
One of those unbranded cellphones from china via deal xtreme ?

pretty close! droid turbo, normal price 200 with new contract with 100 off black friday plus 100 off for old smart phone, = 6.99 tax out the door

Adrian Tan November 29th, 2014 05:05 PM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
My mailbox is full of offers from people with "Black Friday" deals, the funniest of which was from Edelkrone. Their Black Friday offer was no price reduction at all; instead, they sent around an image saying that their prices are low year-round.

Anyway, to be honest, the first thing I thought was, "Hang on. This Friday is the 28th, not the 13th. Why are they calling it 'Black Friday'?" I had to google the term to discover it's the Friday following Thanksgiving or whatever.

But I'm pretty curious: do Americans also refer to Fridays the 13th as "Black Fridays"? Or do they only use the phrase in the shopping sense?

Incidentally, Australians also sometimes use the phrase to refer to "Good Friday", ie the day of the crucifixion.

Noa Put November 29th, 2014 05:06 PM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1869253)
That'd be the A7Mk2... 5 axis IBIS, supposed to work with whatever glass you can put on it, add 4-5 stops... rather interesting tech, full frame E mount.

I know it's a bit off topic but there is already some testfootage available, very early conclusions are that the stabilisation is not that effective, there are quite some jitters in the image and noticeable moire and aliasing.

John Nantz November 29th, 2014 06:46 PM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Adrian - this is what I heard .....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Tan (Post 1869256)
Anyway, to be honest, the first thing I thought was, "Hang on. This Friday is the 28th, not the 13th. Why are they calling it 'Black Friday'?" I had to google the term to discover it's the Friday following Thanksgiving or whatever.

But I'm pretty curious: do Americans also refer to Fridays the 13th as "Black Fridays"? Or do they only use the phrase in the shopping sense?

..... on the radio a couple days ago.

The term originated in the Philadelphia police department back in the early 1960s because they were forced to work on Friday to help direct traffic. According to the radio reporter who apparently did some extensive research on this, one of the cops called it that and then the rest of the force picked up on it.

Tim Akin November 30th, 2014 08:35 AM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dixon (Post 1869184)
Got an AT 875r short shotgun from B&H for $129. Will use it as an alternative to and backup for my AT 4053b.

Thanks, I've been wanting another 875! And thanks to Kyle for the thread.

Art Varga November 30th, 2014 10:45 AM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
have my finger on the trigger for this Genaray version of Westcott's Ice Light at 50% off. Supposedly brighter and has better battery life. Could only find one review on it though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1024667-REG/genaray_sp_lr_spectroled_lightrod.html

George Kilroy December 1st, 2014 04:30 AM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nantz (Post 1869264)
Adrian - this is what I heard .....



..... on the radio a couple days ago.

The term originated in the Philadelphia police department back in the early 1960s because they were forced to work on Friday to help direct traffic. According to the radio reporter who apparently did some extensive research on this, one of the cops called it that and then the rest of the force picked up on it.

So this is how urban myths start. My radio (BBC London) claims that it originated with Wal-Mart. They say that their trading profit is made during the month before Christmas and as the Friday after US Thanksgiving is the start of that period it is the point when their accounts go into the black as opposed to being in the red; hence Black Friday. It's really an excuse to kick-start the Christmas mayhem and manic buying spree and was picked up by Amazon a few years ago and now seems to have become a global brand as is Cyber Monday.

Happy online bargain hunting today.

Clive McLaughlin December 1st, 2014 04:37 AM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
I picked up a Sony a6000 (which I planned to buy anyways) from Jessops for 450 with kit lens. Cheaper than DigitalRev.com and with UK warranty! I'm happy.

Adrian Tan December 1st, 2014 07:21 AM

Re: Anyone score any black Friday deals?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Varga (Post 1869323)
have my finger on the trigger for this Genaray version of Westcott's Ice Light at 50% off. Supposedly brighter and has better battery life.

The deal is seemingly still available; maybe it's permanent!

Art, if you pull the trigger on this, please post some sort of commentary on how you found it. I can see it as being handy, but mainly for photography, and mainly when you have an assistant who can hold it 30cm away from faces.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network