DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What is this reflection coming from my lens?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/526001-what-reflection-coming-my-lens.html)

Al Wong December 8th, 2014 02:21 AM

What is this reflection coming from my lens??

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. I need a bit of help here. I picked up an older Canon 28-70L 2.8 from Craigslist back a couple of months ago for wedding videography. Last week I finally had a chance to use it, but when I got home I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of reflections from light sources in my footage. At first I thought it could of been the UV filter, but tonight I went out to shoot an engagement video, and without the UV filter it was still giving me the same results. The second picture clearly shows the reflection of the lights from the carousel. It's really worrying me now as a I have a few weddings coming up in January. Does anyone know what the problem is???

D.R. Gates December 8th, 2014 04:15 AM

Re: What is this reflection coming from my lens??

Usually you'll see that with lower quality filters.

Paul Ekert December 8th, 2014 05:15 AM

Could it be a reflection from the inside of a lens hood?

Al Wong December 8th, 2014 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.R. Gates (Post 1870031)
Usually you'll see that with lower quality filters.

I did have a filter on the pic at the church, but the second pic was without a UV filter. I went home, aimed my camera at a light, and it did seem to be worse with a UV filter on, but I'm wondering why I was still picking up a reflection tonight from the carousel without a filter on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Ekert (Post 1870034)
Could it be a reflection from the inside of a lens hood?

Hmmmm.. Never thought of that. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Paul Ekert December 8th, 2014 08:17 AM

Might be worth checking, but it is a long shot to be honest. Only ever seen a lens hood reflect like that (against christmas tree lights) and it was a cheap third party one that had this odd bit of gloss on the inside, presumably where the buffer thing that gives it a rough surface had missed contact. If you see what I mean.

James Manford December 8th, 2014 09:13 AM

My 35-105mm F3.5 Constant Canon FD lens used to give similar reflections.

I never pin pointed what it was, I just changed glass.

Jeff Cook December 8th, 2014 01:24 PM

If you were opened all the way on your lens, that could result to this effect. I have had times like this and I iris down and it was better.

Al Wong December 9th, 2014 01:19 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to have to sell this lens and get something else.