DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Copyright music issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/526124-copyright-music-issue.html)

Diana Fisk December 17th, 2014 02:31 PM

Copyright music issue

Hi All

I normally shoot weddings and get my music from Song Freedom or The Music Bed. A few times a year however, I film concerts. Recently I filmed a dance concert that did an amazing routine set to 'Booty' by JLo. Of course I don't have permission to use this song and it seems vimeo have toughened the rules and I can no longer post clips like this. I can view it on YouTube but only one PC not devices.

Is there anywhere I can post this so the teacher can share it with her students? I've tried Facebook too but no luck.

Thanks in advance
Diana

Jeff Harper December 17th, 2014 02:34 PM

Re: Copyright music issue

On Vimeo if it's private with a password.

John Knight December 17th, 2014 02:36 PM

Upload to Vimeo and set the privacy to "Hide from Vimeo" before the upload completes. Then embed the video in a hidden webpage on your website and share that page with students.

Dave Farrants December 17th, 2014 03:27 PM

You can use Dropbox, again make a hidden webpage, upload your video to Dropbox and put a link on the webpage, send the page link to those wishing to see it. I do this with RapidWeaver on a Mac and can even password the hidden page. Might take a bit of 'messing around to get it right the first time but it works a treat. It also helps to add a line to the robots.txt page of your site to prevent that page being 'crawled'.

Diana Fisk December 28th, 2014 02:13 PM

Thanks everyone!!

Paul R Johnson December 29th, 2014 05:17 AM

I always smile when dance teachers break all the rules because they sort of think they're immune. I do dance shows - I run a venue, a 1400 seat theatre, and sometimes we do the video too, or they bring in their own people. They are supposed to declare the music they use as part of the show - it's different from the music played while people are coming in, the venue license that separately - but PRS get paid a percentage of the box office revenue for permission, and this is indirectly paid for my the hirer. However - PRS do not represent every music owner - so Disney and Abba, for example should be paid for direct - but the dance schools very often don't even know what the music they play actually is. I understand the public not understanding copyright - it is pretty complicated, but dancers use music for their job, which does make you think they would understand rights. Doing a job for a dance school and 'hiding' the product from prying eyes I understand, but if the rights organisations ever do a hit on the dance school, the implications could spread to the video people. It's a risk many choose to take, and the internet is full of disgruntled people complaining about the copyright owners heavy handed tactics at attempting to recover lost revenue - but they're acting legally, and getting to wrong can really cost! I'd guess the situation in Australia is the same as here in the UK.

Vince Pachiano December 29th, 2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1872081)
I always smile when dance teachers break all the rules because they sort of think they're immune. I do dance shows - I run a venue, a 1400 seat theatre, and sometimes we do the video too, or they bring in their own people.

Every year, the Studio Owner of my daughter's dance studio pays a fee to ASCAP

Gary A. Smith January 15th, 2015 08:19 AM

That's what i was told as well, something like $800 au per annum is like a blanket cover for music filmed by but not introduced by the videographer. This could vary as to who it is being filmed, ie, a live band may not be covered but the local school end of year concert may be. I also need to get this sorted as i begin my videography business.