DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Second hand canon 24-70 mark I or New Tamron 24-70 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/526272-second-hand-canon-24-70-mark-i-new-tamron-24-70-a.html)

Dinh Hung January 2nd, 2015 01:37 AM

Second hand canon 24-70 mark I or New Tamron 24-70

Hi everybody. Please help me choose between Second hand canon 24-70 mark I or New Tamron 24-70 for shooting video.
My Body DSLR is Canon 5D mark II.
Thanks all.

Malcolm Debono January 2nd, 2015 03:36 AM

Re: Second hand canon 24-70 mark I or New Tamron 24-70

Considering that the Tamron is stabilized as opposed to the Canon, I'd go for that one.

Rob Cantwell January 2nd, 2015 06:56 AM

i used to have a EF 24-70mm mark I but sold it with the intention of getting the mark II at some stage, I don't know what the Tamron is like but the image quality from the Canon is super the one thing I didn't like about it was the weight! and of course it wasn't stabilised.

Peter Rush January 2nd, 2015 11:01 AM

I have that Tamron and it's a very good lens - the stabilization is what sold it to me - the zoom and focus are reversed in comparison to canon lenses though, so when I use Canon and then go to Tamron it takes a few minutes to get used to

Pete

Bill Grant January 10th, 2015 09:22 AM

I bought both and returned the Canon because of lack of stabilization. The Tamron is easily as sharp and a phenomenal build. It is a revolutionary lens. Look up reviews, every one puts it on the same or superior quality as the Canon but with stabilization. There is no contest. IMHO.

Mike Watson January 10th, 2015 06:20 PM

Have had the Tamron 28-75 for 5 years, last week at a gig I couldn't get a focus lock on it. Shot the gig with the other camera, came home and fiddled around with it, couldn't get it to focus far away. Googled for Tamron service centers, found that Tamron is located in NJ and their lenses have a 6-year warranty... packaged it up and sent it off. Assuming they fix it and return it, this will make me a Tamron guy for life. My $0.02.

Arthur Gannis January 11th, 2015 08:38 PM

The early version of the Canon 24-70 ( I imagine it as the mark 1) is soft at the edges as i have well experienced, not that sharp at all. The later current version is much better. But I would get the Tamron if I had to do video with the stabilization.

Michael Silverman January 11th, 2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1873255)
Have had the Tamron 28-75 for 5 years, last week at a gig I couldn't get a focus lock on it. Shot the gig with the other camera, came home and fiddled around with it, couldn't get it to focus far away. Googled for Tamron service centers, found that Tamron is located in NJ and their lenses have a 6-year warranty... packaged it up and sent it off. Assuming they fix it and return it, this will make me a Tamron guy for life. My $0.02.

Mike, I purchased the Tamron 28-75 to use with my Canon 70D and I'm not sure if I just got a bad copy but when shooting wide open at F/2.8 the image was very soft. It actually looked like the footage was out of focus. The 70D has a tendency to produce very soft images in general (especially compared to my C100) but I found that I had to stop using the 28-75 because it was only useable when I closed the iris to F/4 or above. What has your experience been when shooting at F/2.8 with that lens?