DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How are you shooting closeup detail e.g shoes, flowers? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/526487-how-you-shooting-closeup-detail-e-g-shoes-flowers.html)

James Stevens January 18th, 2015 10:40 AM

How are you shooting closeup detail e.g shoes, flowers?

Hi everybody, I was wondering how you go about filming details for small objects during bridal preps, e.g the shoes in a line, or the flowers? Particularly, how do you go about getting smooth movement on it? I tend to shoot handholding my camera and very close to the object, but often when I think I am being silky smooth with my movement it always comes out a little jittery on the final film and I often have to resort to warp stabiliser to do the trick. I know I could shoot them with a tripod and do the camera move in post, but thats cheating! Im assuming those who have ultra smooth movement are using some sort of small DSLR dolly?

Gary Huff January 18th, 2015 10:59 AM

Re: How are you shooting closeup detail e.g shoes, flowers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Stevens (Post 1873942)
I know I could shoot them with a tripod and do the camera move in post, but thats cheating! Im assuming those who have ultra smooth movement are using some sort of small DSLR dolly?

Yes, and also don't forget you can stabilize hand-held footage in post. Trick to that is to shoot a little wider than you'd like because that will zoom in on the footage when you do that.

I think that's more prevalent that you'd realize.

Malcolm Debono January 18th, 2015 01:15 PM

A stabilized lens does wonders, especially towards the wider end (in terms of focal length). You can also get away with plenty of movement using a monopod.

Noa Put January 18th, 2015 01:28 PM

I shoot details handheld with a unstabilized 25mm lens on a m4/3 camera and almost always have to remove jitters from the image in post with edius own stabilising plugin, this works ok if there is not too much movement but often the plugin introduces unwanted movement and it can deform the entire frame. If you shoot so close towards a object the best thing you can do is work from a slider or a tripod and if you shoot handheld use stabilized lenses.

Adrian Tan January 18th, 2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Hi everybody, I was wondering how you go about filming details for small objects during bridal preps, e.g the shoes in a line, or the flowers? Particularly, how do you go about getting smooth movement on it?

I'm boring. Pretty much always slider here, which is fiddly and time-consuming. If in a rush -- pick up steadicam. If ridiculously rushed, monopod and that's it; basically never do handheld.

Michael Silverman January 18th, 2015 05:29 PM

I think my ideal set up would be one of the 3 axis gimbal stabilizers and a slider. This way you can get a couple of details shots using the slider and then for the rest use the stabilizer. I imagine the 3 axis models are probably easier to work with in tight quarters than a glidecam or steadicam set up. I've found one of the biggest things with detail shots is where you set the shots up. If you set them up in small, cramped room with white walls and dim tungsten lights it's not going to look as good as on a nice chair or table outdoors or on a balcony.

Noa Put January 18th, 2015 05:34 PM

I remember a photog trying to do a closeup shot of the rings and placed them on a windowsill so he would have some nice light on it but they fell behind the radiator and they weren't able to reach it anymore so they had to take the entire radiator of the wall. It gave me some fun footage which I eventually didn't use because the bride was so upset she was crying. :) Since then I always place all small accessories I have to shoot on a wide open safe place.

Michael Silverman January 18th, 2015 06:07 PM

LOL! I feel bad for the photographer and I will certainly keep that in mind next time I try to get a little too creative :)

Robert Benda January 18th, 2015 07:00 PM

I'm a fan of mixing static and movement, tight and wide. Sometimes we'll shoot the same detail twice so we have choices later.

I've also waited until items are being worn.

For instance, skip to the 1:18 to 1:40 area

Peter Rush January 19th, 2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Hi everybody, I was wondering how you go about filming details for small objects during bridal preps, e.g the shoes in a line, or the flowers? Particularly, how do you go about getting smooth movement on it? I tend to shoot handholding my camera and very close to the object, but often when I think I am being silky smooth with my movement it always comes out a little jittery on the final film and I often have to resort to warp stabiliser to do the trick. I know I could shoot them with a tripod and do the camera move in post, but thats cheating! Im assuming those who have ultra smooth movement are using some sort of small DSLR dolly?

Don't use warp stabilizer - when I'm in a rush and have to get a bunch of details hand held I shoot 50p with a stabilzed lens, and slow down 50% on the timeline - you still get slight motion but it ends up looking more 'dreamy' than 'shaky'

Pete

Michael Silverman January 19th, 2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1874023)
Don't use warp stabilizer - when I'm in a rush and have to get a bunch of details hand held I shoot 50p with a stabilzed lens, and slow down 50% on the timeline - you still get slight motion but it ends up looking more 'dreamy' than 'shaky'

Pete

In my experience, warp stabilizer works very well in certain situations but not so well in others. The situations where it works best for me is when I have a pan or a tilt that is a little uneven and the subject and backdrop are quite far away from the camera's lens. Warp stabilizer can usually smooth these shots out and not produce any unwanted effects.

However, I've found that when try to get detail shots (or really any other shot where I'm very close to the subject) then the warp stabilizer can produce some disorienting effects and will often make the background look like it's moving.

I know someone who shoots almost all his footage handheld and then applies warp stabilizer to all his shots to smooth them out. However, I've found that after watching several of these shots back-to-back it feels quite jarring and disorienting to the point where I need to look away from the screen. So personally, I wouldn't "depend" on warp stabilizer because it can very easily have some unwanted effects. I do however like to use it when I have some shaky footage and I need to see if there's any way to salvage it.

James Stevens January 19th, 2015 02:20 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, that shoot in 50p and slow later isnt a bad idea, as I shoot in 25p or 24p which obviously isnt as smooth for movements. I have also found warp stabiliser a lifesaver for some shots and horrific for others, mainly the closeups. I think having stuff on a tripod and then applying a subtle zoom or pan in post looks nice, but often I am shooting stuff like shoes on the floor where I cant access easily with my steadicam or tripod.

Eeek @ the photographers story! I nearly did that tryign to get a shot of the rings spinning, I drop them on a surface so they spin around and fall but they hit eachother and pinballed in two different directions. Thankfully I found them again...phew!