DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Digital Delivery with DVD Style Menu in Flash Drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/526553-digital-delivery-dvd-style-menu-flash-drive.html)

Taky Cheung January 22nd, 2015 01:42 PM

Digital Delivery with DVD Style Menu in Flash Drive

This is my Digital Delivery with HTML 5 method in a Flash Drive to delivery final wedding films to bride and groom. This works on Mac, PC, Android, iPhone and iPad. With AppleTV Air Play or Chromecast, the output can be played back on big screen TV too. :)

Jeremy Lee January 23rd, 2015 04:47 PM

Re: Digital Delivery with DVD Style Menu in Flash Drive

Taky I wasn't able to attend InFocus this year and I would have attended your presentation. Could you please explain how to create a HTML5 Desktop video?

James Manford January 24th, 2015 04:18 AM

That is absolutely brilliant. I know you share tutorials online, do you have one for creating this menu ?

James Manford January 24th, 2015 04:27 AM

Alternatively can you share which HTML5 website builder you use as I kind of get the jist of how it's been done ?

Taky Cheung January 24th, 2015 04:31 PM

I will be speaking at several videography associations on this topic so I don't have any online tutorial for now. Also I didn't use any website builder. I typed all the HTML, CSS and Javascript myself. :)

Chris Harding January 25th, 2015 08:48 AM

Surely a full screen HTML5 video player with a playlist would work quite well with a USB?? It runs full screen on the device you are using and plays the clips sequentially plus you can jump to any part you need to using the thumbnails under the video. Obviously one would need to have each event in clips but I do that anyway!! I don't have a TV with a USB input so does anyone know what the TV USB looks for? Will it by default run an HTML5 index file so everything else will run... on a computer of course the browser plays an html5 file without any issues

Look at these guys JavaScript - Royal Video Player | CodeCanyon

Taky Cheung January 25th, 2015 09:43 AM

If you look at my video above, it shows playing at chapter from a long clip.

There is no standard on what can playback on TV's USB port. Some TV can only play photo slideshows. The chance is even lower for it to a browser included to interpret HTML5. Thus using Chromecast or AppleTV airplay to view the content from thumbdrive to TV would be the best option.

Noa Put January 25th, 2015 11:01 AM

I think you could easily sell your html player on a site like envato, would be useful to many.

Denis Danatzko January 25th, 2015 12:43 PM

Great job!
I've been waiting for something like this to be available. The only similar alternative I've seen is to put an .iso file on a thumb drive (which I've never experimented with).
With the decreasing use/popularity of DVD/BD disc delivery, might this be the harbinger of moving beyond the limitations of those media?
(I envy you for your HTML/CSS and other coding skills, something I never spent much time learning).
Bravo.

Jeff Harper January 25th, 2015 03:28 PM

Denis, will an ISO play on a USB stick?

James Manford January 25th, 2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1874661)
I think you could easily sell your html player on a site like envato, would be useful to many.

+1 to this suggestion

I would buy it if it's reasonably priced.

Taky Cheung January 26th, 2015 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
.ISO image on thumbdrive is not the way to go. The most time needed is in authoring. If I am already building .iSO, I mgiht as well just give the client the DVD or BluRay :)

Anyway, I'm offering this as a service. for $149 for a wedding, upload all edited footage together with images to be used as background. Then I will wire all the HTML content. The final output is a peronalized box with a special thumbdrive 16GB that works on PC, Mac, Android, iPhone and iPad :)

Denis Danatzko January 26th, 2015 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1874684)
Denis, will an ISO play on a USB stick?

I've read in other forums that it will, but I've never tried it myself. My understanding is, as Taky points out, that if you do put an .iso to a stick/thumbdrive, you should still consider it as effectively making a DVD, with it's inherent authoring requirements, dimensions/limitations, and quality.

What I've been searching for is a way to put HD (1080p) video to a stick/thumbdrive with a menu and selectable chapters. Much of what I've done up to now has been very short-form video, i.e. 30 secs +/-, with 4 views, e.g. normal view/normal speed, normal view/slow speed, enlarged view/normal speed, and enlarged view/slow speed. Each "view" is a chapter selectable from a typical DVD menu, but I'd like to move to sticks/thumbdrives. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to use a menu from a stick/thumbdrive. If I correctly understand Taky's method, it seems he's found a way to do that, albeit from a browser.

Question for Taky: How do you preserve the files and content from accidental erasure?
In the few instances where I've sent out thumbdrives, the only way I could "protect" from accidents is to set properties as "Read Only", which isn't foolproof.

Taky Cheung January 26th, 2015 02:16 PM

I just don't see the point why we have to put .ISO to a thumbdrive and deliver that way. It's really half-ass .. hehehe

It's not difficult to start a video from a particular time other than zero second. :)

With thumbdrive, can't fool proof stupid people. I have copies of all my weddings since 2001. Also, tell the client to make copy to their computer. They can order additional copies from me.

Clive McLaughlin February 18th, 2015 03:52 AM

Since Taky doesn't seem keen on sharing his work (understandable!), has anyone else found this available online yet? Or a tutorial of sorts?

I don't even want it personalized for each client - just a full screen generic background with company logo and three buttons for 'Highlights' 'Feature' and 'Speeches'.

Chris Harding February 18th, 2015 05:39 AM

Hi Clive

Taky is offering to do all the code etc etc for $149.00 so he is obviously not going to write a free tutorial on how to do it and kill his income!

There are stacks of HTML5 players out there now ...EasyHTML5 is actually free but you would have to figure out how to place and code the chapter buttons ... it does come however with a poster background as standard and you can use your own or grab a still from the actual video.

Let us know how you get on? I still find that brides are asking for DVD as the primary delivery so I haven't delved too much into this topic ... if the clients wants DVD then that's what I give them.

Chris

Nigel Barker February 18th, 2015 05:46 AM

This is neat but essentially pretty straightforward for anyone with some HTML CSS & JavaScript skills using something like JW Player. The video player Chris linked to looks like a nice alternative without having to roll your own code so much.

I am intrigued as to how the B&G are supposed to connect a thumb drive to their iPhone or iPad.

Chris Harding February 18th, 2015 06:27 AM

Hi Nigel

Our Apple store here has a USB adapter cable BUT at Apple's very generous prices. $200!!! for a little cable??? I doubt at those prices brides will be too happy about spending $200 just to watch their wedding on an iPad ... it would be cheaper to buy them an Android tablet and cost it in!!

Nigel Barker February 18th, 2015 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1877143)
Hi Nigel

Our Apple store here has a USB adapter cable BUT at Apple's very generous prices. $200!!! for a little cable??? I doubt at those prices brides will be too happy about spending $200 just to watch their wedding on an iPad ... it would be cheaper to buy them an Android tablet and cost it in!!

I didn't realise that there was such a device. Incidentally while searching the UK Apple store I did find what must be the most expensive iPad accessory ever. Just £1,859 for a piece of rolling luggage that you can pack 20 iPads into & charge them simultaneously. Bretford PowerSync Roller 20 for iPad mini with Lightning Connector - Apple Store (UK)

Taky Cheung February 18th, 2015 07:27 AM

Clive, You make it sounds like I'm a bad guy. I spent time research and study.. I will be speaking at several videographer associations on this topic. It includes demo and codes to generate the menu and playback screen. That doesn't make sense for me to make online tutorials at this time. maybe you can try learn it your own? If you don't want to, hire a web guy do it for you. Oh maybe you just want things for free?

Taky Cheung February 18th, 2015 07:34 AM

My offering also includes a special thumbdrive that work with iPhone and iPads directly wirelessly without using iTunes.

Chris Harding February 18th, 2015 07:56 AM

Thanks a good price Taky! We have 16GB Sandisk wireless thumb drives here for $85.00 so you are really not making a whole lot of money and providing a service that frees the videographer up spending time buying drives and assembling the video files and code.

I have very few brides who will even consider the USB option so I stick with DVD's still but obviously in other countries they are popular and for an extra $60 per wedding (after the drive cost) your offer is actually a bargain!!

Jeff Harper February 18th, 2015 08:28 AM

Taky, thanks for sharing. You are a great guy and you share a LOT of stuff that is VERY helpful on your website and in this forum that helps many people. Your audio demos have been especially helpful and informative to me. You are a positive force good in the business and we do appreciate your enthusiasm and helpfulness. You are also give AWESOME service for your products and are among the most helpful equipment vendors I've ever known!

Taky Cheung February 18th, 2015 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Chris and Jeff for the kind words. I actually started working on this HTML5 output for fun or for myself to use. But it seems it will benefit many others. However, they are still kinda technical stuff. I might end up answering tech support calls. I have people calling to my business phone numbers on how to design DVD cover insert.

The wireless thumbdrive I have I will sell at $35 for 16GB and $42 for 32GB. Right now I only have the 16GB in stock. I am setting up a product page soon.

Clive McLaughlin February 21st, 2015 01:32 AM

Thanks Taky for offering to help, but I actually figured it out myself. I do have a web design degree (despite not practicing it for ten years) so I knew I could manage it if I bothered myself!

Clive McLaughlin February 21st, 2015 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1877146)
Clive, You make it sounds like I'm a bad guy. I spent time research and study.. I will be speaking at several videographer associations on this topic. It includes demo and codes to generate the menu and playback screen. That doesn't make sense for me to make online tutorials at this time. maybe you can try learn it your own? If you don't want to, hire a web guy do it for you. Oh maybe you just want things for free?

Taky, just saw this. Sorry if it came across that way - you are definately not a bad guy!

Donald McPherson February 22nd, 2015 02:05 PM

Has anybody tried outputting flash with Adobe Encore. What's the highest resolution you can use?

Taky Cheung February 22nd, 2015 03:12 PM

I have. You can export to 1080p full HD. It works on PC, Mac, android with Flash sideloaded. Won't work on any iDevices.

Here's a Flash output on windows tablet.

Denis Danatzko April 5th, 2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1877140)

I am intrigued as to how the B&G are supposed to connect a thumb drive to their iPhone or iPad.

I've used this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1218920-REG/sandisk_sddd2_128g_a46_128gb_ultra_dual_usb.htmlas a storage device to backup my LG G3, and I've been able to play .mp4 files from it.

I'm surprised more manufacturer's haven't included both sizes. I really like the versatility of having both sizes of USB.

Chris Harding April 5th, 2016 06:50 PM

That solution doesn't help iPad users at all as the devices don't have a USB or microUSB input ...you are supposed to send the data to iTunes or something like that and then access on line with your iPad I'm not too sure on the exact process as I don't have any Apple devices but it seems silly to not have a USB port on a tablet!!

Taky's method is a lot better as we are dealing with brides who often have little or no technical expertise so your system has to be simple to use! I give brides DVD's and USB and you would be amazed how many of them admit "We actually haven't tried the USB yet" or "we only looked at the photos on the USB with our laptop"

We are using 7" LCD video brochures which are in book form so even grandparents can easily watch a wedding video ..they just open the cover (like a book) and the video plays and it stops when they close it. You would be surprised how many people have no idea what to do with a USB drive!! We don't supply DVD's cos we want to, they are a pain, BUT brides ask for them!!

Taky Cheung April 6th, 2016 02:30 PM

There is this thing called OTG cable (On The Go) for a $1 It's for Android that you can plug in a USB stick and it will show up as a drive. Now they also have OTG cable for iOS. It's about $10. Yeah it's 10 times more expensive. But Apple users all get used to over pay. I'm sure it will be okay :D

Denis Danatzko April 6th, 2016 05:50 PM

Chris,
I have only Android devices. Everyone else in the family has iPhones, and I realized after I posted that USB wouldn't work for them. Thanks for correcting my oversight.

Chris Harding April 6th, 2016 06:06 PM

Think nothing of it Denis ..the media supply is a bit of a nightmare already anyway with VP's insisting on just supplying Bluray disks and not DVD's and, of course. the poor bride only has a DVD player which does play the BD disk then you have the bride who has a USB and her flat screen TV has no USB input and of course grandparents can easily be "technically behind" so they would often not be able to play

It really is a dilemma to know what to supply to brides nowdays that you know will make her life easy.

Enrique Orozco Robles April 6th, 2016 06:38 PM

Take: I can't open your demo on my macbook air.... it ask for a flash missing plug in in order to play it...which is something I don't want to install in my mac .... just to let you know ....

regards

Taky Cheung April 6th, 2016 11:34 PM

Enrique Orozco Robles

Which link you are refering to?

You can take a look at this link for a full wedding that i delivered.

http://lacolormedia.com/Surani-Milan

Peter Rush April 7th, 2016 01:34 AM

I'm not sure how you guys get your main wedding film into 4GB? - my HD films are about 30 minutes and at a target bitrate of 32 Mbps as recommended by Premiere are coming in at 8.5GB

Pete

Taky Cheung April 7th, 2016 02:30 AM

file size is determined by bit rate. 32mbps is a little bit too high I would say. I do Target 12, max 16. a 45 minutes clip is about 3.9GB.

Chris Harding April 7th, 2016 06:01 PM

Hey Pete

I also think 32mbps is over the top. Mine actually look stunning on a 42" TV done as low as 8 mbps and Sony Vegas has a default bitrate of 16 so what Taky says is correct ... around 12 is more than ample and it will save you buying bigger USB drives too! I upload my online videos also at 8mbps which is more than likely a bit over the top. Try doing a short clip once at 32mbps, once at 16 mbps and once at 8mbps and watch on a decent TV and decide for yourself whether you are encoding too high or not? Even 4 mbps is going to look better than an SD DVD but sometimes I wonder if the bride even cares?? Most seem to still use the SD DVD rather than the USB drive and if they select the USB they will then stick it into a laptop with a 12" screen and tinny internal speakers ..so frustrating!!!!

Taky Cheung April 7th, 2016 06:03 PM

Just as reference, 1080p uploaded to Vimeo requires more than 10mbps. But no matter how high the bit rate is, Vimeo will transcode it to around 10mbps for streaming purpose.

Nigel Barker April 12th, 2016 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1912287)
Just as reference, 1080p uploaded to Vimeo requires more than 10mbps. But no matter how high the bit rate is, Vimeo will transcode it to around 10mbps for streaming purpose.

A couple of years ago Vimeo bit rate for both 1080p & 720p was 5Mbps.