DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Credits anyone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/526645-credits-anyone.html)

Peter Rush January 28th, 2015 10:54 AM

Credits anyone?

Does anyone here offer to include a 'credits' chapter at the end of the film? If so how do you do it? I have done a few in the past but to match up sections of footage with the name on screen is a real pain so I resorted to having a scrolling list accompanied by general highlights but was never really satisfied with that either.

I do include it as an extra on my price list but am wondering about dropping it as I've never found a solution for producing one that pleases me.

Pete

Robert Benda January 28th, 2015 11:02 AM

Re: Credits anyone?

I may start doing one but it would be a simple standing interview style shot, off center, so I can put their name next to their head shot.

Easy enough to film as long as you do your stand ups the same order they are in the program.

Kyle Root January 28th, 2015 11:05 AM

I use to always to scrolling credits.

Then quite frankly I got lazy at trying to format everything.

I would take random clips from the video, make them BW and scroll over that.

I haven't done any credits in about 3 or 4 years. Not a single person has said anything about it...

Peter Rush January 28th, 2015 11:06 AM

Robert Isn't that going to take a whole chunk out the limited time you have to film? plus you'd have to round everyone up - nice idea but could be a headache on the day.

Jeff Pulera January 28th, 2015 11:19 AM

And besides, then you open yourself up to re-edits if you either misspell a name, or (gasp!) attach the wrong name to the person. Just a lot of added work with no real benefit (extra money).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Daniel Latimer January 28th, 2015 12:14 PM

I like adding them to the beginning of a video. Like the beginning of

Rob Cantwell January 28th, 2015 01:21 PM

wouldn't dream of doing anything like that, it takes me long enough at editing as things are and yeah, the chance of re-edits would be a thing to consider.

I only include a rolling credit at the end of the video if requested, hardly ever at the beginning, my logic is, do they need to be informed that it is Mary & John's wedding? the vast majority of people who are going to view it will know who they are!

I guess at the end of the day it's a personal choice.

Daniel Latimer January 28th, 2015 01:23 PM

It takes less than 5 minutes to copy and paste the names at the beginning. I think it adds to the aesthetic of a short form.

Robert Benda January 28th, 2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1875035)
Robert Isn't that going to take a whole chunk out the limited time you have to film? plus you'd have to round everyone up - nice idea but could be a headache on the day.

Over here we have plenty of time during the pre-ceremony. Most couples do some or all of the formal pictures before, and one of us can shoot details and the other does interviews or credits shots.

As for correct names, I always get an emailed copy of the program and then have each person say their name while you're recording. I do a similar thing with all audio... when I hit record on a pocket recorder, i saw the B&G name and the date.

I haven't done this as credits before, but think I will try it. One important part of the wedding video can be a sort of snapshot of the moment. Who are the B&G at that time, and who or what is important to them, where are they in their life. I'm trying to figure out how and what to show, and close family and friends seem appropriate.

James Stevens February 11th, 2015 07:54 AM

I did in the beginning, then stopped doing them, although lately I have started putting credits over the guest messages and any outtakes, makes a nice little ending. Although I always email the bride the text I am going to use before I render it, so its up to her to check for spellings, if she approves it then I'm not re-doing the DVD after the fact if anything was missed off.

Danny O'Neill February 12th, 2015 08:40 AM

Did, but no way now. NO WAY!!!

We used to do it as a suprise by taking the names from the table plan. This didnt work as they often had mis-spellings or people there they didnt really want there.

So we started getting them to fill out a form online with the explicit instruction that text would be copied and pasted and re-edits would be chargeable. Still, people got spellings wrong and pleaded with us to make the oh so simple and quick change of a spelling. You cant educate them that you then need to render out multiple formats and then re-do all the disks too and burn.

So we dropped them.

Doing them takes no time, fixing mistakes on the clients part took too long.

Roger Gunkel February 12th, 2015 12:04 PM

I do special thanks to the main players at the end, Best Man, Ushers, Bridemaids, Pageboys and Parents. They have a form for the names which tells them that the names will be used with the same spelling they have given me. While editing, I take stills from the video of people on the list, plus some other stills from the day for an end sequence. If we are doing the stills, I use some of those instead.

Roger

Steve Bleasdale February 12th, 2015 12:22 PM

Same as Danny n Rob, just a few at the start of the film as in your name announcement , then the bride and groom and maybe the venue then that's it. Pain in the backside doing all them scrolls then ringing you up saying oh we like her nickname not her real name can you change it?? Nooooooo