DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   incamera stabilisation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/526780-incamera-stabilisation.html)

Craig McKenna February 8th, 2015 10:07 AM

Re: incamera stabilisation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1876114)
That 42.5mm f1.2 I find a bit pointless not to mention very expensive if you can get a 45mm f1.8 which probably will give you a better stabilization with the use of the camera's IBIS, sure the 42,5mm will optically be better but I doubt you really will notice that difference on a Olympus camera while you shoot 1080p.

The RX10 has a declicked iris ring on the lens and the large menu wheel on the back on the camera you can rotate easily with your thumb and while you do that it scrolls through all iso values and that all while you are shooting video. Shutter stays locked all the time so changing exposure is a almost instant thing. The button layout and videofunctionality is brilliant on that camera.

Sounds amazing, Noa.

Whilst you're online - GoPro Hero 4 is at £211 at Amazon UK - don't know if you can buy there - but it's the best price I've seen! It's out of stock, but will deliver once in stock: GoPro HERO4 - Silver Moto Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

As for the 42.5... all very true... I just would love the ability to shoot images with that lens in my own time... it's very much a treat.

I will stick to my current list to purchase:

A Zoom / Tascam / insert recorder here to mic from the board + cables
A stand to put in front of a speaker to record audio
A 12-40 and 35-100 or 40-150 lens
And an AX100.

Daniel Latimer February 8th, 2015 06:15 PM

If you all are interested in 42.5 focal length, you should check out the voigtlander. I have it and it's my favorite lens for the gh4.

Michael Silverman February 8th, 2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig McKenna (Post 1876141)
I will stick to my current list to purchase:

A Zoom / Tascam / insert recorder here to mic from the board + cables
A stand to put in front of a speaker to record audio
A 12-40 and 35-100 or 40-150 lens
And an AX100.

If you're looking for a portable audio recorder to connect to a sound board, the Tascam DR-40 has been amazing. It has a line level input and also records a backup audio track at -12 db so that you can get by even if you don't have anyone monitoring the audio.

Richard Tatti February 8th, 2015 11:41 PM

Can anyone confirm the recording time limit on this new Olympus camera. I'm referring to an Australian PAL model.

So far the unlimited recording time is the one thing that the Panasonics have over all the other brands of cameras.

Noa Put February 12th, 2015 09:20 AM

So, starting to see more em5 II videos, what I do see that I don't like is the image looks a bit like my nex-ea50 I once had in terms of detail, not "that" good and in terms of moire and aliasing, only a bit worse.

It was the moire and aliasing the tempered my enthusiasm a bit, but the stabilization is nothing but spectacular, below video is a good example, there are some 45mm f.18 Oly lens shots at the beginning around 00:50 which look really good.

I do see a place for it in my gearbag though, especially coupled with the 45mm and 75mm while shooting handheld at f1.8, by blurring out the background moire and aliasing is not much of an issue, unless they are wearing fine striped pattern clothes, something I learned while using my canon 550d.

Noa Put February 24th, 2015 01:32 PM

Over at personal-view.com a user has posted some framegrabs from a em5II and a gh4, both in 1080p mode and even then the detail differences is very obvious, quite disappointing actually and from the looks of it mixing both camera's wil cause issues, lets see what Olympus has in store for the EM1.

Marq Riley March 26th, 2015 09:39 AM

Hi,

have been following this thread as well as other discussions and reviews of the EM-5 II. As you've made out, and especially with Andrew Reid's impressions, video is not at all up to expectation.

Shooting handheld is particularly important to me as I shoot both images and video, alternating between the two during events, so I can not and will not have a cage or gimbal. This is the main reason why I still shoot with a Pentax K-5 which utilises mechanical SR, and if used properly with the camera's movie mode limitations still produces some excellent footage. I have also worked with a Canon 5D Mk III but find it too heavy, especially with any Canon IS or Tamron VC lens, and I really need a body with tilting screen. I have therefor been using a Canon 70D, and even though the touch screen combined with dual pixel AF is excellent, it is only useable in 24/25 fps at 1080p, the 50/60p has terrible aliasing.

So now I'm looking forward to the recently announced Pentax full frame DSLR which will come out at the end of the year. If Ricoh have enabled mechanical SR (as opposed to electronic SR) and it will indeed have an articulating screen as the prototype shown at CP+ seems to indicate, this will most likely be my perfect companion.

Until then I might pick up the Nikon D750, which has it all except IBIS, so I'd like to ask anyone here shooting video with Nikon which stabilised lenses they suggest for Nikon.

Cheers!

Noa Put March 26th, 2015 09:56 AM

I have seen a better video from a user that didn't look bad at all, it is this one: vimeo.com/122338262
I personally would take anything Andrew says with a big grain of salt, I recall when he tested the sony rx10 there where a couple of shots where he said he was not able to use in the edit because they looked too bad because of codec break up (back then the rx10 only had 28mbs avchd). I have been using the rx10 for weddings for several months now and all my images looked good, ofcourse if you take a scene with a lot of motion, take a frame from that, blow it up in photoshop and stick your face against the screen, you will notice codec break up, but to say the footage become unusable is just plain silly, especially when you are talking about a cheaper then 1k camera.

For my use the em5 II would be good enough but I decided to wait, just to see what they have in store for the em1 and I"m sure the em5 II will drop about 200 dollar in a few months.

Craig McKenna March 31st, 2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Silverman (Post 1876179)
If you're looking for a portable audio recorder to connect to a sound board, the Tascam DR-40 has been amazing. It has a line level input and also records a backup audio track at -12 db so that you can get by even if you don't have anyone monitoring the audio.

Thanks a lot Michael! I looked heavily into the DR40... but eventually purchased a Zoom H5 for the same reasons - and it's supposedly got a better codec... but the DR40 looks great and I do like my TASCAMs! I'll be sure to comment about its performance the first time that I'm able to record to a board. The next wedding I'm at, the groom has stated that he doesn't like microphones and having to pass them around, so I'm only going to be able to mic the board in the church - and that's if they're using mics... so it may end up redundant for my next wedding. I'm fairly certain my two weddings in the summer will allow me to use it though. I think it'll pay me back the moment it secures perfect audio at a wedding. I am trying my hardest this season to perfect audio - an impossible target - but if it's twice as good as last season, I'll be really pleased!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1880934)
I have seen a better video from a user that didn't look bad at all, it is this one: vimeo.com/122338262
I personally would take anything Andrew says with a big grain of salt, I recall when he tested the sony rx10 there where a couple of shots where he said he was not able to use in the edit because they looked too bad because of codec break up (back then the rx10 only had 28mbs avchd). I have been using the rx10 for weddings for several months now and all my images looked good, ofcourse if you take a scene with a lot of motion, take a frame from that, blow it up in photoshop and stick your face against the screen, you will notice codec break up, but to say the footage become unusable is just plain silly, especially when you are talking about a cheaper then 1k camera.

For my use the em5 II would be good enough but I decided to wait, just to see what they have in store for the em1 and I"m sure the em5 II will drop about 200 dollar in a few months.

Great to see that you waited in the end, Noa! I am waiting alongside you... I think they really could blow us out of the water with the EM1 MKII... here's to hoping!!!

Noa Put April 1st, 2015 01:28 AM

From what I have read Omympus has no plans on making the EM1 a better videocamera, they want it to be their top photocamera and leave the better videofucntionality to the EM5.

Craig McKenna April 21st, 2015 05:11 PM

Really? I am surprised if the EM1 doesn't turn out to be a better video camera than the EM5 MKII, because a lot of people will likely consider the cheaper EM5 MKII if the stills don't improve vastly, which to be honest, I don't think they will following the latest update for the continuous autofocus on the current EM1. Either way, we'll wait and see... I got one shot with the EM5 at my latest wedding and tried to replicate the movement through the dress that you usually do with shallow depth of field to show off the pattern of the dress. It worked really well, so when I finish the video in a month or two, I'll be sure to post it!