DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Fish eye lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/527068-fish-eye-lens.html)

Jeff Cook February 27th, 2015 03:09 PM

Fish eye lens

I would like to start using my fish eye lens for my weddings. I only want a few shots because I do not want to over do the effect. I have a 14mm on a full frame body. I was thinking of getting video of the inside and outside of churches. What have you captured with a fish eye regarding weddings?

Peter Rush February 28th, 2015 07:00 AM

Re: Fish eye lens

I use my 14mm for architecture shots and arcing shots (well as close as you can get on a slider) of the cake as I can get the whole cake and knife and bouquets in.

I also use it on my Merlin steadicam sometimes

P

David Barnett February 28th, 2015 08:45 AM

Cupid shuffle with a glidecam;)

Noa Put February 28th, 2015 09:44 AM

I prefer to use it for larger buildings, like if I want to have the entire venue in one shot or maybe inside the venue to get a total shot. I also have used it in very tight spaces when I wanted to shoot the wedding dress before the bride had put it on.

I bhought a samyang 7,5mm for m4/3 for that reason but I"m going to sell it again, it deforms quite bad and is a lot softer then my panasonic lenses. I was thinking of getting the olympus 9-18 or the pana 7 to 14 zoom as they have a much more useful range.

Jeff Cook March 2nd, 2015 02:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I too was thinking of churches and inside the church. I just received my Bower 14mm 2.5 and used it this weekend. Here is what I got :
they are on sale at B and H for Canons $259

Jeff Harper March 2nd, 2015 03:46 PM

I recall seeing fisheye lens used by someone with very nice shots of the exterior of church shooting upwards from close to the church, shots of the door, and shots of the interior as well.

A fisheye is fun, had one but didn't use it much. Not to be negative in any way, but personally I think of it as a dated look, since the current trend is toward more natural looks in photo and video, but in the right hands I'm sure it can still produce some useful shots.

Chris Hurd March 2nd, 2015 05:07 PM

Does it have to be a fisheye, or can it be a rectilinear wide angle?

Jeff Cook March 2nd, 2015 05:27 PM

My wide angle is a fish eye on my full frame. I would more than likely only use 1 shot. It is always nice to have a different tool in your belt.

Michael Silverman March 2nd, 2015 07:48 PM

I shoot with a Canon C100 (1.5 crop factor) and at some point I'd like to get a lens that can provide a slight fisheye look (really more of nice very wide angle look with a little distortion). I've read that the Canon 14mm Rectilinear is one of the best you can buy, but it's also pretty expensive for something I'd only use every so often. Does anyone have a recommendation of a very wide EF zoom or prime that would give something "close" to the 14mm but closer to $600-800? I would probably use this on a stabilizer and slider mostly, and then at times on a tripod to get some interesting pans and tilts.

Malcolm Debono March 3rd, 2015 02:42 AM

Michael: check out the Tamron 11-16mm. It's an EF-S lens (for crop sensored cameras) however if you're only gonna be using it on the C100 then it's perfect considering that it's cheaper and wider than 14mm alternatives. Canon also have the (rather) new EF-S 10-18mm which seems pretty good for its price.

Robert Benda March 3rd, 2015 06:44 AM

My only regular use has been:

balcony shot to get it all in
dance floor shot
exterior

and I also just use it for maybe one shot of each.