Using Android TV Box to Deliver Wedding Film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 9th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Using Android TV Box to Deliver Wedding Film

I've been wanting to try to see if it's possible to setup those inexpensive Android TV Box to deliver a TURN KEY system. Which means, once it start up, it will load up the menu or video to play the video. Fool proof.

I tried this TV box I bought off ebay for $42. Looks like it will work. I will share the setup in my blog later. )

Old April 10th, 2015, 01:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Using Android TV Box to Deliver Wedding Film

Looks good Taky - I've thought of using these in the past for HD delivery (only recently I've had an issue with a couple not being able to play their Blu-Ray discs) but lack of menu system has put me off.

Combine this little box with your menu system and it's looking like a good option for me :)

One question - how did you squeeze a longform wedding film in HD onto an 8GB device? Also could you provide a link to the box?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Peter

I'm just playing to see the possibility. It seems to work. It involves installing an autostart app, and an app that allow browser to play local html file.

I export to mp4. I think for this particular files I recorded using 8mpbs target and 12 max. That whole hour video is 3.x GB in size.

I put together my encoding settings here

Recommended Encoder Settings for USB Thumbdrive Delivery | L.A. Color Pros Blog
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:51 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Can you post a link to that particular box? Also is your HTML Menu system fully functional and up for sale?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I bought that box a while back at ebay. Don't have the link now. I think any Android TV box will do.

Yes my HTML menu is fully functional and for sale. Can you send me an email at info@lacolorpros.com ?
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

It looks like you are using a mouse to controll the arrow on screen, is that connected to that tv box as well? Can't you go to all chapters using the remote controll?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Great concept thanks for the share. The boot time seems painfully slow?
Alex Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I don't quite see the point here of using this device as opposed to supplying the bride a BD player at less cost.

The way I see it you still have to plug the power adapter into a wall socket, attach to the player, connect HDMI cables etc etc. So if the couple want to show off their wedding to friends they still have to unplug everything and take it with them ... People like grandparents are unlikely to have a TV box or a USB TV so exactly what is the advantage of giving the bride one of these with an 8GB thumbdrive compared to supplying a BluRay player and a disk for less money

Some clarification would be nice as to the advantages of having an android TV box as part of the package
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:55 AM   #9
Trustee

Have to agree with Chris.

It's just over complicating things. Although the concept is nice for the tech savvy. You are providing an expensive box to JUST play their wedding video.

Providing a blu ray player that plays DVDs is a better option and much cheaper.

Keep it sweet and simple.

Also another question ... how would we decorate a media box and thumb drive easily and cost effectively ? You can just print on to Bluray discs and make a label. But not so much with a media box and thumb drive.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:02 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Noa, the TV remote control works well with the apps. But for web page browser, it will turn into mouse mode. Which means the Up, Down, Left, Right arrow will move the mouse. Because it's a demo video so I use a mouse for quicker pointing. But the TV remote itself will serve the purpose.

I also saw another Android TV box that bundled the "Air Mouse" .. but it's almost $100. I want something affordable.
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:06 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Chris Harding, the point is, we all try to get away from optical media. It's quite painful to author DVD, BluRay, design menu, print, burn etc. So I want to see if it's possible to use an Android TV box for that purpose. It's experimental. It's fun. I already own this box. Why not try to see if I can make it into a turn key system.

You can't give someone a thumbdrive and expect it will play on smart TV. There isn't a TV standard.
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
It's just over complicating things. Although the concept is nice for the tech savvy. You are providing an expensive box to JUST play their wedding video.

Providing a blu ray player that plays DVDs is a better option and much cheaper.

Keep it sweet and simple.

Also another question ... how would we decorate a media box and thumb drive easily and cost effectively ? You can just print on to Bluray discs and make a label. But not so much with a media box and thumb drive.
Again, it's experimental. But I have to disagree it's over complicating things. It's simple for the bride and groom. Others deliver thumbdrive but can't guarantee playback on TV. Then a sure work option is adding Chromecast or AppleTV. The setup is complicated. But with this TV box, the setup is already done before giving out the client. It could be a gimmick thing. It could be something as up sell.

I remembered few years ago some studios bundled BluRay players in the package.
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
You can't give someone a thumbdrive and expect it will play on smart TV. There isn't a TV standard.
If you provide a fat32 formatted usb stick that should play on any tv that sells today, I think your solution is as close as you can get in providing a menu driven system with images to play HD files on locations where they don't have a dvd or blu-ray player.

Presentation wise you do have something unique but it is not something I would be handing out to my clients, they still need to carry the box, the remote, the powerplug and the hdmi cable with them if they want to use it at their friends.
A simple usb stick with the HD files seems much easier to take along.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Noa

That's the issue.. I bought my 55" LG TV 3 years ago. But the USB port won't play any video at all. Only do photo slideshow. if a bride in such similar situation, you can't tell them to buy a new TV so they can watch the wedding video. Just not practical.

I already have a solution. The thumbdrive I'm giving away is a WIFI USB thumbdrive. It is a regular USB drive but it has WIFI hotspot built-in. In that case, customer can connect to it with Iphone, ipad, and any android devices. This is already an add on. Can't plug a thumbdrive to iPhone and iPad. For Android, a $1 OTG cable can do.

This wireless thumbdrive works with Chromecast and AppleTV AirPlay to mirror playback on TV. I won't be telling my customer they need to buy a new TV. But it would be okay to ask them to buy a $35 chromecast.

Hmm.... I NEVER SAID THIS IS THE ONLY DELIVERABLE. I am experimenting options, as an add-on, upsell for extra money..
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #15
Inner Circle

And if it needs something portable or to take along, my wireless thumbdrive is awesome. If they have the thumbdrive with them, just switch on the hotspot, and their friends can use iphone ipad to connect to it. View the menu and film with the browser. Customer can view the content without relying on the Intenret.

And I already tested my HTML5 menu to work with Vimeo. I uploaded an entire wedding to vimeo. But I have my HTML menu playing as a presentation layer. Customer can view the content whenever they have internet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques