DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Girlfriend/Boyfriends in Family Photos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/527749-girlfriend-boyfriends-family-photos.html)

Clive McLaughlin April 11th, 2015 03:06 AM

Girlfriend/Boyfriends in Family Photos

I'm sure it's not just in my area that photographers tend to set up a with and without shot of teh bride/grooms sibling both with and without their partners. The obvious reason being that theres no full commitment there yet by marriage and so they don't know if the relationships will stand the test of time.

So if people ever break up, you still have the 'without' photo to fall back on.

In video - does anyone worry about this? Putting in clips of the group shots with the bride's sisters boyfriend. What if they break up a few months later and the B&G have to forever look at the face of the guy their sister dated for halfa year back in 2015...

Steve Burkett April 11th, 2015 03:25 AM

Re: Girlfriend/Boyfriends in Family Photos

It's not something I worry about. Most of the time, I'm not sure whether someone is a long term partner or just the latest fling. Okay if they're really lovey dovey, I can perhaps conclude they're still in the early stages, but do I not include them on fear of a break up. What if they do get married one day and the footage is important.

I don't keep footage for very long, so when it comes to filming and editing, I'm making choices on the assumption of good coverage of all guests. If there is a break up soon after and I get told not to include someone (never happened so far), I could edit to limit how much that person is seen, but if say the Bride's sister is all over this guy, how do I cut him out and not the sister. If the break up happens months away, then really it's not my worry. I've delivered the video and like it or lump it, that person is included because they were there. We can't take responsibility for the presence of every person in our video and I can't film thinking that so and so may fall out of favour, because equally likely they may not.

Noa Put April 11th, 2015 04:31 AM

Re: Girlfriend/Boyfriends in Family Photos

That doesn't even cross my mind when shooting couples, I just document the day. I did have a request for a wedding I still need to shoot this year to not include a particular person in the video, not sure why they invite the person in the first place if they cannot stand them but I will shoot this wedding like I always do and ask when I"m on location who the lucky one is that will not be getting any screentime, then later on in post I just will leave out all footage including that person, even if it means excluding that persons partner who might not be on the black list of the bride.