now that NAB is done. (new camara) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

now that NAB is done. (new camara)

Hi there.

I been debating in my head what to get and i thought I will try to get some help here.

Might be time for new camera..a DSLR just because we want to be able to do photo and video and don't have a large budget.

we own, 5d mark ii and t3i, and a couple of expensive L canon lenses, we could stay like this but don't want to use the t3i anymore, 5d is sort of old so we think might be time to upgrade.

I was looking at the 7d mark ii, been reading a lot, weird don't see more people talking about it in this forum.
anyways..seems like the debate is:

1- get a 7d mark ii
2- get a 6d ( and get something extra)
3-stay like we are and wait for 6d mark ii
4- something different.

seems like 6d mark ii wont be until 2016, 6d seems to be a good choice witch favors photo, and 7d mark ii will favor video.

what will you do?

thanks for all your help.

PD: right now we are doing more work with photo than video, althought we want to keep both up to date.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:07 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: now that NAB is done. (new camara)

Anytime I get the itch for a new camera I think of what I want it to do. What do you want from yours?

For me, I really like the facial tracking auto-focus on our 70Ds for weddding prep and ceremony (or other decent lighting) and want my next cameras to have it. It makes my life easier. (we also have 5d Mark ii for darker spaces).

Then you'd have to consider your 4K timeline. I'd think I can do without it for at another 2 years, but wouldn't buy a new body without it, unless I had to.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Don't even consider the 6D, it's crap for video, and the 6D Mark II will be a long time in coming.

7D Mark II is your best bet from that list.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post

If he was going to go with an APS-C camera, the 70D is better for video shooting, IMHO.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Don't even consider the 6D, it's crap for video, and the 6D Mark II will be a long time in coming.

Thanks for the advice Gary. I am very close to pulling the trigger on the 7D mark ii.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
If he was going to go with an APS-C camera, the 70D is better for video shooting, IMHO.

-gb-

Hi, Greg.

Don't think i wasn't considering the 70d as well...but more for the price than anything else..and just read magic lantern doing raw with it...

but i didn't think it was better than the 7d mark ii..will you mind to elaborate ?

thanks for advice
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:03 PM   #7
Major Player

If you're looking to replace the 5D2 with a 7D2 I don't think you'll really gain much except the autofocus and 1080p60. You will lose full frame and I don't think you will gain much (if any) low light ability.

The 7D2 will be a nice upgrade from the t3i so it would make a lot of sense to sell the t3i and buy a 7D2. You could then shoot a few weddings and see how the two cameras work together. If they meet your clients' needs and you're happy with them, then just stick with the 5D2 and 7D2.

Once Canon release the 5D4 then it may make more sense to sell the 5D2 and purchase one of those. I know people that are still shooting video and stills with a 5D2 and 7D1 and they make lots of money and have many happy clients.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmany Tellez View Post
Hi, Greg.

Don't think i wasn't considering the 70d as well...but more for the price than anything else..and just read magic lantern doing raw with it...

but i didn't think it was better than the 7d mark ii..will you mind to elaborate ?

thanks for advice
I don't know about better but I'm trying to see if the 7d uses a touchscreen. The 70D lets you touch the person's face, then it will track them. Its big issue is probably that its usable iso is capped at about 1600. Maybe 2500.

I've been looking at a few 7d videos to see if its autofocus uses a touchscreen or not. The usable iso would be good to know, too.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:57 AM   #9
Major Player

Canon 70D vs 7D Mark II - Our Analysis
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #10
Trustee

[QUOTE=Gary Huff;1884293]Don't even consider the 6D, it's crap for video, and the 6D Mark II will be a long time in coming.

6d crap? could have fooled me they are brilliant...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:

Please enlighten me on why the 6D is "crap" for video...?
Kevin Fonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post

From what I see it looks like no many people are using the 7d mark ii. is that right?
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #13
Major Player

sell all your Canon junk and head on over to the Samsung camp. The NX1 is a beast for video.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:37 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
The NX1 is a beast for video.
I haven't seen any footage that demonstrates the NX1 quality jump to the point where I'm willing to head back into a transcoding workflow in order to edit any of the footage.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:43 AM   #15
Major Player

Gary, I have been editing it for the past month, and side by side with the 5D3 footage, its got better color, and much sharper. I can see it. Sadly, clients won't notice it once it's graded, and it cuts together seamlessly with the Canon stuff. Since I shoot mostly event stuff, Ill start the transcode at night after I transfer cards, usually takes about 15-20 minutes using EditReady.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques