DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Why do some of you use DSLRs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/528153-why-do-some-you-use-dslrs.html)

Anthony McErlean April 28th, 2015 06:26 AM

Why do some of you use DSLRs?

Having never used or recorded with a DSLR camera at my weddings, at any time, I'm asking, why do some of you use DSLRs ? :)

Is the recording time not limited compared to video cameras?
What's their advantage over video cameras?

I'm looking for a camera stabilizer for one of my TM900s but see a lot of you use DSLRs instead.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Harper April 28th, 2015 06:38 AM

Re: Why do some of you use DSLRs?

Anthony, there are MANY advantages of DSLR cameras over standard videocameras, most having to do with image quality.

The primary thing is that you can change lenses on DSLR cameras which offers a variety of looks, depth of field, and more. There are a gazillion threads about this topic.

I did it for a couple of years and hated it. Wonderful images, but it did not fit my style of shooting as a solo shooter.

I strongly suggest you google DSLR vs videocamera and read the results.

Anthony McErlean April 28th, 2015 06:57 AM

Hi Jeff, thanks for that, I'm a sole shooter too btw, mostly weddings.

OK, will do, thank you again.

Robert Benda April 28th, 2015 07:14 AM

I believe most DSLRs now shoot for 30 minutes, which is very workable, especially compared to the old 12 minute limit (like on my 5d Mark ii, though Magic Lantern helps with that). We use 3 cameras, so the time limit isnt much of an issue for us. And its plenty of time to move from camera to camera and restart, if needed.

Anthony McErlean April 28th, 2015 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Benda (Post 1884791)
I believe most DSLRs now shoot for 30 minutes, which is very workable, especially compared to the old 12 minute limit

Thanks Robert, I thought recording was 12 mins too but glad to hear its now 30mins.

So then, another question, what DSLR to buy?
Can't go to expensive £500/£600 lens inc,... if possible.
Don't know if I could afford to buy body and lens just now, although I know it would be the way to go.

Chris Harding April 28th, 2015 07:39 AM

Hi Anthony

I go the combo route simply because I don't like the DSLR form factor for handheld use. Sure I have two DSLR's but I use them for stills cos I like the form factor for stills.

I use two Sony EA-50's for video because they are video camera form factor. However they have a DSLR sensor and also interchangeable lenses so I get the best of both worlds ...big sensor, I use my Nikon lenses, I have proper XLR audio channels and no record limit. I have never shot video on my Nikons because they are too awkward to hold for video.. and I have never shot stills on my Sony's (they have a 16mp still function) again because they are just too awkward to shoot stills with.

Makes sense to me

Chris

Noa Put April 28th, 2015 07:41 AM

I use videocameras and dslr's, the main reason for me to use a dslr is because of the look I can achieve which is not possible to get with a videocamera, the bride prep for instance, I use a 25mm f1.4 and it just gives a very beautiful shallow dof look, or at the reception when I shoot talking heads I put on a 75mm f1.8 and get quite close due to panasonics cropfactor and again get a look that is impossible to achieve with a videocamera, at that focal length I also can gather enough light to shoot at candle lit dinners which would be very challenging or even impossible with a videocamera. And the lenschoices I have like a macro or a fisheye depending on what look I"m after and last the size, my gh4 with any lens is tiny and light which enables me to carry more then one camera in a medium size backpack.

In terms of use I absolutely hate dslr's though, videocamera's are so much easier under run and gun, when I need to do longer recordings, like a ceremony, I prefer to use a videocamera, or when I only get one shot to get it right or when light conditions change during a shot I prefer a videocamera as it is so much easier to operate under fast changing environments.

Steve Burkett April 28th, 2015 08:32 AM

I side with Noa on why I use DSLR's - image quality is so much better than a video camera. I only differ in that I've never had much issue using my GH4/3 and 2's for Ceremony work. Yes it's not reliable as a run and gun and I'm exploring other options for that reason. However with practise and I get plenty of that, I've rarely had major issues with my fully dslr setup. I use a monopod for the majority of my video work, so unlike Chris, never have a problem with the small form factor.

Speaking of the RX10, if your budget is under a £1000 Anthony, this camera would provide the best of both worlds. Frankly a dslr is only as good as its lens and if you can't afford at least a decent 2.8 zoom, let alone some quality primes, you've lost the cameras main advantage. Worth upgrading though. Those TM900's are a bit outdated now. I used 2 up till 2012, but was glad to put them aside. I kept one for Guestcam, but never use them for my own Wedding work.

Robert Benda April 28th, 2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1884793)
So then, another question, what DSLR to buy?
Can't go to expensive £500/£600 lens inc,... if possible.
Don't know if I could afford to buy body and lens just now, although I know it would be the way to go.

You'd have to be clear on what you need the camera to do, or want it to do.

Personally, we use multiple cameras, including the 5d Mark ii, for full frame (shallow DOF when we want it, better low light performance), and a pair of 70Ds (great touch screen facial tracking for focus, nice for all the movement going on, when the light is decent. STM lenses aren't expensive, either).

This gives us flexibility, including the 70D (crop factor) long reach to get a nice close up of each the B&G faces during vows (a 55-250mm + 1.6 crop factor is very nice).

On the cheap, you can buy used and do nicely.

Personally, I'm going to upgrade when I can get in camera 4K, better ISO, and focus tracking. *sigh* someday.

Kyle Root April 28th, 2015 09:17 AM

Like others, I use both DSLR and regular camcorders.

Indeed, the looks you get out of a large sensor camera are beautiful compared to a 1/4" or 1/3" chip camera. The more I use my D750 for video, the more I love it. The colors. The depth it creates is amazing. Best cam purchase I have ever made from that perspective.

The 1" camcorders like AX100 strike a decent balance I believe in the battle over form factor, recording times, audio needs, and look.

For me, I intend to use my D750 for bridal prep and reception coverage where in my opinion are the best places for the DSLR look.

I believe in regular cams for ceremony coverage, because as solo, I can't be running all over church checking on cameras every 20 minutes. I start rolling the unmanned cameras about 15 minutes before ceremony start time.

Side note, my D750 records 10 minutes at 1080 60p. It does 20 minutes at 1080 24/30p.

Noa Put April 28th, 2015 09:43 AM

Don't you find it difficult to mix your d750 footage with your videocamera's? I try not to mix them and only shoot a ceremony with videocamera's only but use my dslr's for other parts of the day, the look is often too different.

Leon Bailey April 28th, 2015 01:14 PM

I prefer mainly due to image quality and the fact that you can get shots that you cannot easily achieve with say a larger camera. :)

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 05:33 AM

Thank you all very much for your advice.
I can see now why so many of you use DSLRs.

My thoughts were to buy a stabilizer for my camera and if possible capture additional clips, to what I would already have, say during the photo session etc.

Steve, you suggested the RX10.
I did a search on this forum for the RX10 and see it got good reviews.
What about a lens for it? does it come with one fitted?

Thank you all again, that is most helpful.

Steve Bleasdale April 29th, 2015 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use them because of this pic from a screen grab. Not possible with a camcorder unless SONYea-50 C100/300.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 06:40 AM

Thanks Steve, it definitely is a very useful bit of kit to have.

thank you.

Steve Burkett April 29th, 2015 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1884907)
Steve, you suggested the RX10.
I did a search on this forum for the RX10 and see it got good reviews.
What about a lens for it? does it come with one fitted?

Yes it does - it's a fixed lens camera but one with a constant 2.8 aperture across it's quite impressive zoom, very useful for filming Weddings where dark interiors are quite common. If it did 4K, I'd have one myself.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 07:49 AM

Thanks Steve, good to know.
May I ask, do have an DSLR?

Steve Burkett April 29th, 2015 08:28 AM

I'm currently filming with a GH4, GH3 and 2 hacked GH2's for unlimited recording. There are strengths and weaknesses in such a line up and it lacks something like a AX100 or a RX10 that does 4K if such a thing existed, but it still works for me for now.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 08:54 AM

Thank you Steve.

Jeff Harper April 29th, 2015 09:23 AM

I said earlier I hated using DSLRs, but I forgot to mention I do use an RX10 as a third camera. In certain situations I use it as a primary cam, in dark ceremony venues, because I can zoom without the gain having to go up due to the constant F/2.8 aperture.

I also use it extensively for dancing at receptions as a handheld and it works very very well for that. It is a handy camera. It would be my first choice recommendation for someone who wants to dabble in DSLR, because the footage is so nice it you count on being able to match it with a lot of other cameras, especially Sonys.

Obviously, for the purists out there, the RX10 is NOT not a true DSLR camera, but instead is more of a fixed lens, point and shoot camera, but it operates about the same as a typical DSLR, and for all practical purposes is the same, IMO.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1884930)
I do use an RX10 as a third camera. In certain situations I use it as a primary cam, in dark ceremony venues, because I can zoom without the gain having to go up due to the constant F/2.8 aperture.

I also use it extensively for dancing at receptions as a handheld and it works very very well for that. It is a handy camera. It would be my first choice recommendation for someone who wants to dabble in DSLR, because the footage is so nice it you count on being able to match it with a lot of other cameras, especially Sonys.

Thanks Jeff, that is excellent news, that is what I was hoping to use it for too, along those lines.
How long can you record for on one card?
How long does the battery last?
I have a Sony PMW- 320 btw, so it should match up not so bad.

Thank you so much.

Jeff Harper April 29th, 2015 02:11 PM

Battery lasts about an hour, the two generics I bought are not bad, but I strongly prefer the real Sony batteries, they last a bit longer and I trust them.

I use a 32GB card, but can't tell you how much footage it will hold, it will vary with your settings. At least 3 or 4 hours I think, but since I started shooting in 60p I think it's less, but I don't really keep track. I only use it for about two hours total, most times.

Just get two good 32gb cards and I'm sure you'll be fine.

The poor battery life is a bummer, but I work around it, just like Noa does. He loves his RX10.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 03:17 PM

Thanks again Jeff, the RX10 is getting more attractive by the minute.
Thanks for the advice.
I'll do a search for Noa's posts.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 04:56 PM

I don't want this thread to start drifting away from the original post, so any questions I have regarding the RX-10 will be posted in the correct thread.

Thank you all again.

Dave Blackhurst April 30th, 2015 02:37 AM

Not to drift any further, but another vote for the RX10, it's a stupidly good camera for less than you could get a f/2.8 zoom lens for an SLR (if one were available with 24-200...). Used prices are very reasonable, and you can install the firmware update for higher bitrate XAVCS... we are all hoping someday for a 4K upgrade, since the sensor is basically the same one in the AX100, but no sign of any firmware update or the obvious "RX20" with 4K... so who knows. I bug Sony reps whenever I see one... they want it too...

As it is, great stills and excellent video, decently sized sensor, and great glass. I kept one SLR (SLT actually, being a Sony), but the RX10 is my first choice most of the time.

Anthony McErlean April 30th, 2015 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1885023)
but the RX10 is my first choice most of the time.

Thank you Dave.

Jeff Harper April 30th, 2015 06:39 AM

BTW, Anthony, just so you are not surprised or disaappointed: the RX10 has a ridiculously slow zoom. Just be prepared for that. Some people don't mind it, some people dislike that aspect of the camera. Because it's rarely my primary camera I am ok with it, but I did hate that about it when I first got it, but have learned to work with it.

Anthony McErlean April 30th, 2015 07:12 AM

Thanks Jeff, for pointing that out to me,. Cant say for sure but don't think it would worry me that much either.
Like you, it won't be my primary camera anyway.

Thanks.