DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   events /weddings : new media to distribute USB sticks: is the future? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/528297-events-weddings-new-media-distribute-usb-sticks-future.html)

Steve Burkett May 21st, 2015 05:14 AM

Re: events /weddings : new media to distribute USB sticks: is the future?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1887151)
The same video to MP4 takes around 6 hours to render, but needs to be done as separate files, not to exceed the 4gb limit. That means I can't leave it to run when I go to bed, an inconvenience but not a game killer.

Ouch, what editing system are you running?? With Premiere's Media Encoder I can queue up multiple timelines from the same project to render and even timelines from different projects. Yesterday I set up to encode overnight, a trailer from one Wedding and 2 full length videos from 2 other Weddings, all from different Project files.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1887151)
I had a recent wedding where I was asked for 14 USB copies.

I have the good fortune to have a 2nd PC, a smaller all in 1 unit I use for same day edit rather than a laptop. It has a a couple of USB 3 ports plus a 4 way USB3 hub on one of them and I can run multiple transfers at once. Mind you USB 3 only helps when I'm downloading footage from the SD Cards - takes roughly an hour to transfer 300 gb's, running 4-5 cards at once. My USB sticks are 2.0, but with the hub I can do more than 1 at a time and I've done 3 in an hour, 6 if I use both PC's. So 14, I'd wager would be 3 hours. Sort of thing I'd run on an evening watching tele.
The 2nd PC also allows me to render the odd basic project to DVD files, whilst not hindering my work.

Chris Harding May 21st, 2015 06:12 AM

My i7 renders MPEG2's are around the same rate as Noa's ... sometimes even faster depending on how many FX one has on the timeline ... Use Neat Video and WOW you would be lucky to render at even 1/2 realtime!! Based on the same clip, yes my MPEG2 files render a lot quicker than even 1280x720 video at a lower bitrate so they do take a lot longer. At this stage it's not a big deal as I only supply the high light video on USB and that's pretty short. I also break my weddings into event clips so my workflow is edit the first event clip and then render it, then edit the next event clip and render etc etc so I cannot go to bed while it renders.

Steve Burkett May 21st, 2015 06:21 AM

I break up the day into individual timelines, Preps, Ceremony, Photo Session- Reception, Speeches, 1st Dance and Evening Party, then create a new timeline where I combine all timelines together and then that gets encoded as separate audio and video files that I'll upload to Encore for burning. Most nights something is being encoded either for DVD or as digital files; if you're not encoding over night, I can see why there'd be issues in longer encode and render times. However it's rarely an issue for me.

Roger Gunkel May 21st, 2015 06:58 AM

Looking at the speeds you guys are getting, perhaps it's time to upgrade the editing PC. it's an AMD Phenom quad core 3.4Ghz with 16Gb ram, so should be reasonably fast, but I think it is becoming clogged up, so maybe time for a clean out, or relegate it to a secondary role.

Roger

Anthony McErlean May 21st, 2015 08:30 AM

New PC Roger :) and Edius 8, just announced for end of June :)

Noa Put May 21st, 2015 08:32 AM

Huh, what, edius8? That came quickly, just after 7.5, let's hope they improved the audio part a bit.
edit, just saw a demonstration on youtube, had to laugh with one of the slogans: "buy it, keep it", those guys are having some fun with adobe :D

Anthony McErlean May 21st, 2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1887184)
Huh, what, edius8? That came quickly, just after 7.5, let's hope they improved the audio part a bit.
edit, just saw a demonstration on youtube, had to laugh with one of the slogans: "buy it, keep it", those guys are having some fun with adobe :D

:) didn't see that on youtube yet. :)

Steven Davis August 5th, 2016 03:06 PM

We might have to start offering a HDTV as an addon.