DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   New Sony Camera - Perfect for weddings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/528721-new-sony-camera-perfect-weddings.html)

Dave Partington June 10th, 2015 01:36 PM

New Sony Camera - Perfect for weddings?

Sony a7R II has 42.4MP on 4K-capable full frame BSI CMOS sensor: Digital Photography Review

4K internal recording

Full Frame or Crop

42MP for photos.

Seems like the ultimate cross over camera for weddings?

Kyle Root June 10th, 2015 01:49 PM

Re: New Sony Camera - Perfect for weddings?

Someone online made an interesting note of the on-sensor PDAF, claiming that it may enable autofocus on any lens (canon, Nikon etc) used on the Sony with any adapter.

That would be super useful.

Clive McLaughlin June 10th, 2015 02:34 PM

I think the A7r had some obvious moire and aliasing - would need to see if the a7Rii solves this. I'm certainly very interested, but also hoping the A7Sii will have the same addons within the next year..

Steve Bleasdale June 10th, 2015 03:14 PM

So do i wait for the a7Sii or get the a7Rii ?

Edward Calabig June 10th, 2015 03:29 PM

Sounds like people should wait for the a7s ii. I can't imagine this camera doing too well in lowlight with such a high MP count.

Clive McLaughlin June 11th, 2015 02:57 AM

Great roundup from Tony Northrup

Betsy Moore June 11th, 2015 04:38 AM

I think weddings would be a good app for this camera, if one is primarily a photographer and secondarily videographer. If it's vice-versa and the a7sii comes out in November or December as some of the rumor sites have speculated, then the a7sii would be a stronger choice for a video-first camera and a terrific b camera for wedding non-portrait stills (low light for dance floor, etc.)

Dave Blackhurst June 11th, 2015 04:57 AM

Sony is using a BSI sensor (first FF one, supposedly), and a few other tricks on this new sensor - so performance may be better than the large # of pixels might suggest.

Of course should Sony apply the same tech to a new A7SII, you might be able to shoot videos of black cats in a dark unlit basement on a moonless night and get stunning results...

Peter Rush June 11th, 2015 05:07 AM

I specifically bought the A7s for filming dark/evening recptions so I could stop using a video light so I'm hanging on for the A7s II - hope it has the 5 axis stabiliser!

Clive McLaughlin June 11th, 2015 05:20 AM

If they could throw in some built in ND, that would also be nice...

Robert Benda June 11th, 2015 07:54 AM

I want to know HOW the focusing is activated. Is it the shutter button half way, then I have to trust it to track?

On my Canon 70D it uses the touchscreen and there is a face option. It still makes mistakes during, say, the wedding processional, but I can keep my finger on the face and get a great focus tracking down the long aisle.

If the new Sonys have that ability, I just might have to change over.

Betsy Moore June 12th, 2015 03:16 PM

Sony is introducing some 70d-like facial recognition features on the two consumer 4k cams they also introduced this week, including eye recognition. Without starting another tired "pros never use AF" debate here, I'd love to see that feature on their pro-cams for 1 man band glidecam operations and the like.

Clive McLaughlin June 14th, 2015 04:39 PM

I've been using autofocus on my a6000 and a7s when doing steadycam work for weddings. Seems to work fine especially during the day.

But yea, no touch screen, so telling it where to focus in say a wedding processional isn't as easy as the 70D makes it.

Peter Rush June 15th, 2015 02:46 AM

Interested to know what AF enabled lens you use on the A7s Clive?

Clive McLaughlin June 15th, 2015 05:05 AM

Sony 16mm 2.8. Of course on the A7S I have to go into crop mode to use it. I've always used steadycam for dancing - I get among the dancers, and it's a real blast. But that's why I bought the A7s, so at that point in the day, Off comes my A6000 of the Nebula, on goes the A7s with the 16mm (Its tiny), rebalance and off we go. I'm happy to go crop mode for dancefloor stuff, and the A7S low light is so good.